John Kerry's Bullsh*t
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:10:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  John Kerry's Bullsh*t
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Kerry's Bullsh*t  (Read 1422 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2005, 05:51:21 PM »

I'm writing a pretty important timed essay tomorrow on BULLSH*T, and I need a good political statement to analyze.  I was thinking about something from John Kerry (god knows there's enough out there...)

So if anyone could give me a great example of a statement that could be considered bullsh*t, preferrably a political one whether's it from Kerry or not, I would greatly appreciate it.

When I say "bullsh**t," this is what I'm talking about.
"Bullsh**tting involves a kind of bluff.  It is closer to bluffing, surely, than to telling a lie.  But what is implied concerning its nature by the fact that it is more like the former than it is the latter? Just what is the relevant difference between a bluff and a lie?

Lying and bluffing are both modes of misrepresentation or deception. Now, the concept most central to the distinctive nature of a lie is that of falsity. Bullsh**tting, unlike plain lying, is more especially a matter not of falsity but of fakery."
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 06:01:19 PM »

"I don't know where he (Osama) is." " I truly am not that concerned about him." - George W. Bush

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/03/20020313-8.html
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 06:05:14 PM »

"The time has come that the American people know exactly what their Representatives are doing here in Washington. Are they feeding at the public trough, taking lobbyist-paid vacations, getting wined and dined by special interest groups? Or are they working hard to represent their constituents? The people, the American people, have a right to know...I say the best disinfectant is full disclosure, not isolation."

- Tom DeLay
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 08:53:23 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2005, 09:08:46 PM by dazzleman »

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman -- Miss Lewinsky...."

William Jefferson Clinton, January 1998

Whenever Richard Nixon was asked a difficult question that he didn't want to answer, he responded with "I'm glad you asked that question."

FDR was a master of bullsh**t, actually.  You could find reams of it if you looked at some of his statements.  One of the best was his contention that his court packing plan was based on his desire to alleviate the workloads of older justices.

His twisting and turning regarding the issue of Lend Lease to Russia after the Nazis invaded them was another good one.  He was trying to get Congress to give him the authority to extend Lend Lease, which had originally been passed specifically to help the British, to any country whose security was deemed essential to the security of the United States.  When someone asked him if he deemed the security of the Soviet Union to be essential to the United States, he answered with, "Oh, ask me another question, such as 'How old is Ann?'"

I don't know if any of this will help you, but I'm pretty tired, and I'm trying, man.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:07:30 PM »

I'm writing a pretty important timed essay tomorrow on BULLSH*T, and I need a good political statement to analyze.  I was thinking about something from John Kerry (god knows there's enough out there...)

So if anyone could give me a great example of a statement that could be considered bullsh*t, preferrably a political one whether's it from Kerry or not, I would greatly appreciate it.

When I say "bullsh**t," this is what I'm talking about.
"Bullsh**tting involves a kind of bluff.  It is closer to bluffing, surely, than to telling a lie.  But what is implied concerning its nature by the fact that it is more like the former than it is the latter? Just what is the relevant difference between a bluff and a lie?

Lying and bluffing are both modes of misrepresentation or deception. Now, the concept most central to the distinctive nature of a lie is that of falsity. Bullsh**tting, unlike plain lying, is more especially a matter not of falsity but of fakery."

Nation, I think Kerry in the Elmer Fudd costume with the price tags still on it qualify- quack, quack.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 09:09:50 PM »

Another master of bullsh**t was LBJ.

"I'm not going to send American boys to do the job that Asian boys should be doing."  LBJ on Vietnam, 1964
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 09:27:07 PM »

Whenever Richard Nixon was asked a difficult question that he didn't want to answer, he responded with "I'm glad you asked that question."

FDR was a master of bullsh**t, actually.  You could find reams of it if you looked at some of his statements.  One of the best was his contention that his court packing plan was based on his desire to alleviate the workloads of older justices.

His twisting and turning regarding the issue of Lend Lease to Russia after the Nazis invaded them was another good one.  He was trying to get Congress to give him the authority to extend Lend Lease, which had originally been passed specifically to help the British, to any country whose security was deemed essential to the security of the United States.  When someone asked him if he deemed the security of the Soviet Union to be essential to the United States, he answered with, "Oh, ask me another question, such as 'How old is Ann?'"

I don't know if any of this will help you, but I'm pretty tired, and I'm trying, man.

either gonna use one of these or that one from deLay. the latter really is golden -- it's almost like deLay is trying to deceive us not about his beliefs, but his enterprise. which is perfect.

the FDR court-stacking quote (just looked it up) looks great too. thanks.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 09:30:39 PM »

either gonna use one of these or that one from deLay. the latter really is golden -- it's almost like deLay is trying to deceive us not about his beliefs, but his enterprise. which is perfect.

the FDR court-stacking quote (just looked it up) looks great too. thanks.

Good luck, man.  I've hitting the hay now.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 11:33:28 PM »

"I'm not going to send American boys to do the job that Asian boys should be doing."  LBJ on Vietnam, 1964

"I'm all for civil rights" - LBJ
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 11:34:35 PM »

"I'm all for civil rights" - LBJ

He probably meant "civil rights" as in his "Civil Rights" Act of 1964
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 01:41:29 AM »

One bullsh**t thing Kerry did was in the debates.  He made a big hubbub about heroin in Afghanistan.  He pretended that he was the big expert because he was concerned about heroin while Bush had done nothing.

In reality, heroin is the only real cash crop Afghanistan has.  In reality, an aggressive campaign to cut down the poppy fields would only alienate the farmers (80% of the labor force is in agriculture, so that's probably a bad idea) and make it harder to reconstruct the country, not easier.

So Kerry's pretension to being a big expert was bunk: He was a jerkoff who didn't think things through, he just read something in the Times that morning and decided to make a statement on it.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 01:03:52 PM »

thanks guys, essay went well Tongue
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23