2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread (Second Round is set, begins tomorrow)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:32:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread (Second Round is set, begins tomorrow)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread (Second Round is set, begins tomorrow)  (Read 11497 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:42:38 PM »
« edited: April 29, 2015, 09:23:57 PM by HockeyDude »

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Metropolitan Division
*The New York Rangers have clinched the top spot in the Metro division
Islanders - 96 pts
Capitals - 96 pts
Penguins - 95 pts (1st Wild Card)

The Flyers, Devils, Blue Jackets, and Hurricanes have been eliminated from playoff contention

Atlantic Division
-The Canadiens and Lightning will finish in the top two spots but the division is not yet decided.
-The Red Wings and Bruins sit in the 3rd place playoff spot and the 2nd Wild Card spot respectively
-The Senators and the Panthers are on the outside looking in, but still alive.  

The Sabres and Maple Leafs have been eliminated from playoff contention.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division
-The Predators, Blues, and Blackhawks have clinched playoff berths, but any could finish 1st in the division
-The Wild sit in the 1st Wild Card
-The Jets sit in the 2nd Wild Card
-The Stars and Avalanche are not mathematically eliminated, but would need a miracle

Pacific Division
*The Anaheim Ducks have clinched the Pacific Division title
Canucks - 95 pts
Flames - 91 pts
Kings - 88 pts
-The Sharks are in the same spot as the Stars and Avalanche

The Oilers and Coyotes are eliminated from playoff contention.  

What a season for my New York Rangers.  First to clinch a playoff spot and the odds on favorite to capture the President's Trophy as the league's top regular season team for the first time since they last won the Cup in 1994.  They will in all likelihood take on the 2nd Wild Card (which could be anybody besides Montreal or Tampa at this point) and then the winner of the other Metro division matchup.  

Anaheim looks like they will place #1 in the West for the 2nd straight year... but as in the East there is still a lot of positioning to be settled.  One of the Jets, Flames, or Kings is going to be left on the outside looking in; all very solid teams.

The current bracket:

EAST
Montreal vs. Pittsburgh

Tampa vs. Detroit

NY Rangers vs. Boston

NY Islanders vs. Washington

WEST
Nashville vs. Minnesota

St. Louis vs. Chicago

Anaheim vs. Winnipeg

Vancouver vs. Calgary

Such a huge gap this year between the good teams and the bad ones, especially in the East.  The playoffs are going to be completely unpredictable and a ton of good teams are going to suffer a very disappointing 1st round exit.  Not one team that currently sits in playoff position started this season thinking a mere playoff berth would mean a successful year except Calgary and MAYBE the Islanders.  

April 15th can't come soon enough.  
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 09:24:18 AM »

stanley cup champions - new jersey devils
mvp - martin brodeur
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 11:18:12 AM »

The Sens run over the last month has been very entertaining. Hoping we play your Rangers, HD.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 11:48:31 AM »

Will definitely be heading to either STL or Nashville depending on who the Blackhawks play in the first round. I suppose I could head to Chicago also, but tix back in December were going for like $200 for 300-level seats for a regular season weekend game against Nashville, so Chicago isn't terribly affordable for normal people. Haven't celebrated with 2,000,000+ in downtown Chicago in about two years now Cry
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:52:56 PM »

Will definitely be heading to either STL or Nashville depending on who the Blackhawks play in the first round. I suppose I could head to Chicago also, but tix back in December were going for like $200 for 300-level seats for a regular season weekend game against Nashville, so Chicago isn't terribly affordable for normal people. Haven't celebrated with 2,000,000+ in downtown Chicago in about two years now Cry

I have either the Blackhawks or the Wild coming out of the West.  May very well come down to those two in the Central Division Final.  Could always be the Kings, too... of course. 

If you have a chance to get to Nashville, go there.  Nice little roadtrip and the tickets won't be too bad.  I'm in the same boat as you.  To get to MSG for a playoff game will set you back $200 at the least and that's for 400 level seats that are limited view.  Maybe if they draw the Caps at some point I'll Chinatown bus my way down to D.C. because the get-in price probably won't exceed $80-90. 
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 04:35:41 PM »

Praying we can be back in Grant Park come June. *crosses fingers*

The Hawks clinched their spot in the playoffs last night, btw. Not that there was any doubt.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 05:03:37 PM »

Being a New York Area Sports fan, seeing the Rangers and Islanders meet one more time in the playoffs would be awesome... and a fitting finale for Nassau Coliseum as well.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:16:23 PM »

The Nassau Coliseum doesn't deserve a finale.

Not sure I want to see the Isles in the quarterfinals.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »

The Rangers clinch the President's Trophy, and the Icelanders blow their game against the Flyers in one of the most improbable way you could possibly think. 

That would be the cherry on top, to see the Icelanders blow it down the stretch. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 11:12:32 PM »

After an absolutely insane night of hockey, we have a couple new official participants in the 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs. 

EASTERN CONFERENCE

WESTERN CONFERENCE

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 11:57:35 PM »

too early.  hoping for Isles to clinch a home ice series. tonight did not help.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 12:20:03 PM »

too early.  hoping for Isles to clinch a home ice series. tonight did not help.

Isles fans have to brace themselves for the worst right now.  Pittsburgh and then a red-hot division foe to finish the season.  Ottawa comes in to play a Rangers team that has everything wrapped up and has already started letting guys sit for soreness and fatigue. 

If the Islanders were to somehow miss the postseason it would be worse to than the Mets in 2007.  I know there are quite a few Isles/Mets fans out there, and I would almost feel bad.  Key word being almost.  The Penguins missing out would also be utterly hilarious. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »

Please let us beat your Rangers, HD!
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2015, 04:57:30 PM by HockeyDude »

Please let us beat your Rangers, HD!

Everything is clinched, wrapped up, fin...

Go ahead, Hatman.  Take the W.  When Canadian teams make the playoffs, hockey wins.  

EDIT: Zuccarello already confirmed to be sitting tomorrow.  He probably won't be the only one, nor will the Rangers be playing at full throttle.  I've watched them take their foot of the gas this year when it was fine for them to.  Vigneault knows that the playoffs are a marathon, not a sprint.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »

I'm just glad the Kings are out.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 04:55:08 PM »

They aren't.  The Flames and Kings play tomorrow and the Kings are only two points back.  A Kings win and it comes down to the final day.  Winnipeg still also has to clinch the last spot.  All three are decent teams, but decent means that anything could happen on any given night with any two teams involved.  I'll consider the Kings to be done when the little "e" is next to their name in the standings.  Until then, everyone is going to be on notice.  I've never seen a squad so unfazed by adversity. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »

Friggin' Pens have played horribly down the stretch. When they back their lazy asses into the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them bounced in 4 or 5 games in the first round.

Way to go on that Ben Lovejoy trade, Rutherford!
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »

Friggin' Pens have played horribly down the stretch. When they back their lazy asses into the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them bounced in 4 or 5 games in the first round.

Whoever loses the Penguins/Islanders contest on Friday, if it is in regulation, is going to be in a world of hurt.  If either of them actually do manage to miss out it will be one of the more embarrassing collapses in NHL history.   These have been two teams who have spent a majority of the season at a >99% chance to qualify per sportsclubstats.com. 

With Boston laying an egg tonight against Washington, things are going to get very, very interesting. 

NY Islanders - 98 (39 ROWs) @Pittsburgh, vs. Columbus
Detroit - 97 (38 ROWs) @Montreal, @Carolina
Pittsburgh - 96 (38 ROWs) vs. NY Islanders, @Buffalo
Boston - 95  (37 ROWs) @Florida, @Tampa Bay
Ottawa - 95 (35 ROWs) @NY Rangers, @Philadelphia

...all teams have played 80 games.  This might be the wildest finish I've seen.  I can't remember any time where FOUR playoff spots were up for grabs with only 2 games to go.  Must see TV for the last 3 nights of the regular season. 
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 09:54:06 PM »

They aren't.  The Flames and Kings play tomorrow and the Kings are only two points back.  A Kings win and it comes down to the final day.  Winnipeg still also has to clinch the last spot.  All three are decent teams, but decent means that anything could happen on any given night with any two teams involved.  I'll consider the Kings to be done when the little "e" is next to their name in the standings.  Until then, everyone is going to be on notice.  I've never seen a squad so unfazed by adversity. 

Let me rephrase that: I'm glad I won't have to eat crow about my original post.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 06:58:04 AM »

Who do the Rangers want to play in the playoffs? If they want to play the Sens, then they better let us beat them tonight!
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »

Who do the Rangers want to play in the playoffs? If they want to play the Sens, then they better let us beat them tonight!

Personally, I'd prefer to avoid the Bruins, but we're the best team and it shouldn't matter.  Gotta take care of business. 
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »

Personally, I'd prefer to avoid the Bruins, but we're the best team and it shouldn't matter.  Gotta take care of business. 

And, much akin to your beloved Mets, the business of arranging offseason workouts will begin shortly.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2015, 11:12:29 AM by HockeyDude »

Personally, I'd prefer to avoid the Bruins, but we're the best team and it shouldn't matter.  Gotta take care of business.  

And, much akin to your beloved Mets, the business of arranging offseason workouts will begin shortly.

And who are you a fan of, Mr. Blue PA?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »

Whoever loses the Penguins/Islanders contest on Friday, if it is in regulation, is going to be in a world of hurt.  If either of them actually do manage to miss out it will be one of the more embarrassing collapses in NHL history.   These have been two teams who have spent a majority of the season at a >99% chance to qualify per sportsclubstats.com. 

With Boston laying an egg tonight against Washington, things are going to get very, very interesting. 

...all teams have played 80 games.  This might be the wildest finish I've seen.  I can't remember any time where FOUR playoff spots were up for grabs with only 2 games to go.  Must see TV for the last 3 nights of the regular season. 

Agreed. If I wasn't a hyper-partisan Pens fan, I'd be really excited by the whole thing. Of course, because I am, it's like torture to watch. Especially at the beginning of the year when I said on my podcast that I thought they were a sure thing to win the Cup this year. They've been embarrassing. It's not so much the losing. It's the lazy play and coaching that has bothered me. Defensively, we're truly awful without Kris Letang and trading a good Defenseman Simon Despres for Ben Lovejoy (who was no good the first time he was here so why in blue blazes would they want his ass back?!) May be one of the worst trades this team has made in years.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 11:15:51 AM »

Agreed. If I wasn't a hyper-partisan Pens fan, I'd be really excited by the whole thing. Of course, because I am, it's like torture to watch. Especially at the beginning of the year when I said on my podcast that I thought they were a sure thing to win the Cup this year. They've been embarrassing. It's not so much the losing. It's the lazy play and coaching that has bothered me. Defensively, we're truly awful without Kris Letang and trading a good Defenseman Simon Despres for Ben Lovejoy (who was no good the first time he was here so why in blue blazes would they want his ass back?!) May be one of the worst trades this team has made in years.

They have no flexibility to build depth with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury taking up so much of the payroll.  Sound crazy, but I think you guys have to trade Malkin, because there's no way Crosby is going anywhere.  He would command quite the return. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies