The Atlas Cooperative Spergmarkt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:55:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Atlas Cooperative Spergmarkt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Atlas Cooperative Spergmarkt  (Read 4558 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »

I think Snowguy is coming from a good place with this thread  (do people not get he is including himself in this?) but it can be tricky. If we were to have an obsessive-compulsi-mine thread I would be concerned people would either contribute or glean things from it in a way that involve a misunderstanding of the condition. For evidence, look at how so many people misunderstand what "irony" is.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 01:20:09 PM »

Aspergers is a psychological disorder that is perfectly fine
Sperg is an online disease of intense nerdy narcissism that this thread is about

King is correct as usual.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »

Reminds me of when my PC friend took huge offense to the word "retard" because it may offend the retards.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »

Reminds me of when my PC friend took huge offense to the word "retard" because it may offend the retards.

The literal worst.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »

This has happened on this very forum! It was horrifying.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 02:08:35 PM »

Reminds me of that time I tried to explain the Malaysia flight and talked about the geography of the Indian Ocean. Or that time I told a girl that I liked Bernie Sanders, and she thinks that I'm basically a full-blown trot. Thankfully I stopped myself before I could sperg any further.

Anyways, I've made ratings for the New Hampshire state senate (that were decently accurate), so that's probably a spergalerg.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 02:30:04 PM »

Gtfo for using the term "PC" and for justifying the degradation of mentally challenged people by using a slur against them.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 02:37:22 PM »

Gtfo for using the term "PC" and for justifying the degradation of mentally challenged people by using a slur against them.

>2000+15
>implying that political correctness isn't a real thing used by liberals to shut down debate because they have no useful contributions of their own to an argument at any given moment
>implying that using the word 'retard' literally degrades people right then and there, even when not being used in the context in which it would be degrading or hurtful
>implying that your keyboard activism will do anything to stop turkisblau from using the word

Please return to Tumblr with all due haste
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »

This thread is trash
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 03:23:05 PM »

We have a winner for worst thread of 2015!
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »

It's a two way street. 

On the internet, people don't really know you or get your irony.  It's totally fine among friends to make an ironic joke that you know won't hurt anyone's feelings.  But, with something like a disability, you should be conscientious and realize that you can really hurt someone's feelings.  Imagine people who have real issues or family members who are disabled.  You can transport those people to a moment where they were being made fun of or dredge up awful stuff.

On the other hand, people need to try to take things in the spirit in which its intended.  People shouldn't try to totally censor jokes or ideas, without understanding the context.  There is a problem with people actively trying to be offended and play gotcha on pretty innocent slips of the tongue.  And, we should all try to understand people in an honest, fair way.

All that said, I find it distasteful that some people want to put the entire burden on the listener.  As if it's up to them to find out what you really think and feel, as opposed to what you said.  Is it really that hard to think before you speak and question whether you need to use loaded, powerful language in public or casual conversation?  Is it that hard not to say "retard" when you mean "stupid" or "dumb?"  For me, I really don't mind editing those words because I think disabled people have it hard enough and it's extremely easy to just watch what I say a bit.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »

People shouldn't try to totally censor jokes or ideas, without understanding the context.  

More importantly, people should stop trying to pretend to be trained psychologists.  This forum is full of such people.  For all of Snowguy's faults, this is one thing he is not doing.  Many others in this thread are doing it, but not him.  Not that his OP makes much sense.  I still don't regard his quote as a very good example of a spergalert, so you can chastise him for that, but I wish people would stop bashing him with respect to their understanding of pop psychology.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 06:51:52 PM »

It's a two way street. 

On the internet, people don't really know you or get your irony.  It's totally fine among friends to make an ironic joke that you know won't hurt anyone's feelings.  But, with something like a disability, you should be conscientious and realize that you can really hurt someone's feelings.  Imagine people who have real issues or family members who are disabled.  You can transport those people to a moment where they were being made fun of or dredge up awful stuff.

On the other hand, people need to try to take things in the spirit in which its intended.  People shouldn't try to totally censor jokes or ideas, without understanding the context.  There is a problem with people actively trying to be offended and play gotcha on pretty innocent slips of the tongue.  And, we should all try to understand people in an honest, fair way.

All that said, I find it distasteful that some people want to put the entire burden on the listener.  As if it's up to them to find out what you really think and feel, as opposed to what you said.  Is it really that hard to think before you speak and question whether you need to use loaded, powerful language in public or casual conversation?  Is it that hard not to say "retard" when you mean "stupid" or "dumb?"  For me, I really don't mind editing those words because I think disabled people have it hard enough and it's extremely easy to just watch what I say a bit.

But what if you don't want to offend the dumb or stupid?  What word would you use then?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »

The term is 'intellectually disabled'...not mentally challenged as if they've failed to achieve something.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 10:43:22 PM »

Man this thread is getting pretty goddamn faggy, isn't it?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2015, 12:52:46 AM »

But what if you don't want to offend the dumb or stupid?  What word would you use then?
Speechless and intellectually challenged.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2015, 05:31:15 AM »

muh political correctness gone mad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »

I heart Snowguy
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »

muh inability to construct a valid response to my critique of R2D2

I'm still waiting for one of you libs to make the case for calling everyone out when they use the wrong words and how that effectively causes those people to change the language they use. Alert me whenever you get around to it, but I have a feeling it'll turn out something like this:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »

Considering your own tendency to abandon flame wars without a warning, you have no right to complain.

Anyway, I really don't see what there is to complain about. It's really not that hard to use less offensive words and it helps us have a more civilized discourse. Forgive me for not feeling sorry for straight white able males who don't like being called out for using slurs.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »

Considering your own tendency to abandon flame wars without a warning, you have no right to complain.

Anyway, I really don't see what there is to complain about. It's really not that hard to use less offensive words and it helps us have a more civilized discourse. Forgive me for not feeling sorry for straight white able males who don't like being called out for using slurs.

You're still not addressing the issue, which is whether or not calling someone out is effective to change that behavior. It's pretty clear that it isn't.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »

You're still not addressing the issue, which is whether or not calling someone out is effective to change that behavior. It's pretty clear that it isn't.

Change in the quality of discourse is meaningful in and of itself. In many instances, the only tangible manifestation of discrimination or exclusion is through word choice. Eliminating this kind of discrimination would be a step forward. It might also end up changing behaviors, as often the way we act is influenced by the things we hear and say.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies