Should we send foreign aid to countries that don't honor the most basic right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:03:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should we send foreign aid to countries that don't honor the most basic right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should we send foreign aid to countries that don't allow the law-abiding population to bear arms?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Should we send foreign aid to countries that don't honor the most basic right?  (Read 1945 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2005, 09:24:06 PM »

Option 2
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 09:24:40 PM »

NO foreign aid until all debt is written off.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 09:25:08 PM »

You know, I support the Right to Bear Arms, but really, I do not find it a basic worldwide right. It's in our Constitution, and that's all that matters to me.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 09:27:28 PM »

There's no such thing as a "worldwide right," but there are such things as good policies and bad policies. Why aid the kind of thinking that enabled Hitler?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 09:32:33 PM »

There's no such thing as a "worldwide right," but there are such things as good policies and bad policies. Why aid the kind of thinking that enabled Hitler?

I agree on your first point.

On your second, although guns being outlawed may have contributed to the result, I think that it was hardly the primary factor - it was just a method through which it was achieved.

In a developing democracy, to avoid easy terrorism, it may be necessary to put restrictions on gun ownership temporarily. I don't think that alone should define aid.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 09:36:53 PM »

I meant countries with rational people.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 10:07:34 PM »

Well that would've meant no aid to Pinochet's Chile. Would've been ifine by me if implemented back then.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 11:56:28 PM »

I don't see how the right to bear arms could be considered 'the most basic right.'  Wouldn't it have to transcend contemporary society?

Anyway, the ability to purchase firearms is a CHECK on the government.  Other governments have different systems of checks and balances - perhaps not tilted as much to the populace since they're not armed - but there are still checks.  Even if you consider this check to be a vital one, it's only really a problem after the government abuses  it and becomes tyrannical - plenty of governments have restricted firearms and been progressive and democratic.

Once a government starts attacking its citizens, then we should restrict foreign aid.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 01:33:33 PM »

I am opposed to foreign aid period. Why the hell are we sending money to other countries when we are going deeper and deeper in debt here? Why should the US government take the hard earned money from Americans and send it to foreign countries.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 01:38:49 PM »

Here's a deal, we give every foreign country a certain amount of money to buy our exports with.
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 01:59:08 PM »

Here's a deal, we give every foreign country a certain amount of money to buy our exports with.

Most of your foeign aid already works that way (like most other first world countries).
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 03:22:48 PM »

Ok lets try this out. Your are the United States. You have ten bucks in your pocket and a brand new hammer. I am a third world country with no money, no hammer and no nothing. You give me ten bucks in foreign aid. I use the ten bucks to buy the hammer. I'm happy because I have a hammer which I did not have before. You on the other hand, started out with ten bucks and a hammer, but now you only have ten bucks. How smart is that?
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 03:25:50 PM »

Ok lets try this out. Your are the United States. You have ten bucks in your pocket and a brand new hammer. I am a third world country with no money, no hammer and no nothing. You give me ten bucks in foreign aid. I use the ten bucks to buy the hammer. I'm happy because I have a hammer which I did not have before. You on the other hand, started out with ten bucks and a hammer, but now you only have ten bucks. How smart is that?

You succesed in destroying their hammerproducingindustri, and keeps the job in USA.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 05:37:14 PM »

We should stop giving foreign aid to Israel and Egypt. That would solve 90% of the problem.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 05:44:59 PM »

I would hardly describe the right to bear arms as "the most basic right," the phrase used in the title of this thread. I think that there are several rights that are somewhat more important.

Secondly, I would like to note that I am not generally in favor of giving foreign aid, except where it is in the U.S.'s national interest to do so. If aid will help American foreign policy, then it hardly matters to me if the recipient country denies the right to firearms or not.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 10:35:56 PM »

You succesed in destroying their hammerproducingindustri, and keeps the job in USA.
You should have put a smiley face after after that one.

We are giving foreign aid and losing industry.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies