By the power granted to me...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:30:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  By the power granted to me...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: By the power granted to me...  (Read 4321 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005, 09:09:32 PM »

Exactly, if a challenge were to be made, I would rule on that challenge eventually.

You can't make rulings on challeges to your own actions because you'd have a clear bias.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 09:10:16 PM »

Ignoring invalid statute is not judicial activism. Even if it is to become judicial activism, it won't until the new constitution goes into effect.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 09:12:07 PM »

Exactly, if a challenge were to be made, I would rule on that challenge eventually.

You can't make rulings on challeges to your own actions because you'd have a clear bias.

Constitution is written that way. The SE Magistrate is the first step in the SE legal process.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 09:13:53 PM »

Constitution is written that way. The SE Magistrate is the first step in the SE legal process.

If you would rule on your own ruling, you would be showing that you are corrupt - period.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »

Then I highly suggest an Amendment to the SE Constitution.  That is a serious conflict of interest if I've ever heard one.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2005, 12:33:01 AM »

I don't know what order Ford keeps talking about. I haven't talked to States for a week.  About everything else, if a Southeastern citizen wants to challenge my order, they of course, have that right.

The first order is the order by the Governor that declares the Marriage Equity Act unconstitutional, the second is your order to suspend the issuance of marriage licenses.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 06:01:47 AM »

Did States' say he was going to do this in his campaign? I figure he'd been planning to do this, would've been nice to mention it.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 07:51:16 AM »

These actions are seditious and treasonous Jake. You are going against both Federal and Regional laws and against the orders of the Federal Government. You must stop this at once and obey the Federal Government otherwise this could escelate into a Civil War.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 01:04:29 PM »

A number of former regional officials are being held in custody in Memphis for their own protection. One of those officials was chased all the way from Mississippi. Updates to follow.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »

A number of former regional officials are being held in custody in Memphis for their own protection. One of those officials was chased all the way from Mississippi. Updates to follow.

Excuse me? On what grounds? Whom are they being threatened by? Do you have any authority to do this?

Also, need I remind you that I am a former regional official - I held the position you currently occupy - and it makes me very nervous that you can just up and decide to hold people against their will. Thusly, I have the following warning for you, Magistrate - if anyone comes to take me into custody for 'my own protection' they will be shot.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2005, 01:28:20 PM »

Harry was run out of Mississippi by a mob late last night.  A sheriff's deputy picked him up and brought him to Memphis for his own safety.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2005, 01:30:26 PM »

Harry was run out of Mississippi by a mob late last night.  A sheriff's deputy picked him up and brought him to Memphis for his own safety.

How pathetic.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2005, 01:30:53 PM »

Now you're just making crap up. Roll Eyes
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 01:35:17 PM »

I'm surprised this didn't happen a long time ago, actually.  Tongue
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2005, 01:35:40 PM »

Man, take a joke. I was responding to Sam Spade's comments in the GM thread about Harry being locked up. Seems like a resonable outcome Smiley
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2005, 02:21:05 PM »

I would remind the Southeast that any attempt by their government to interfere with the Writ of Habeas Corpus is unconstitutional, though they probably don't care about that.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2005, 03:06:46 PM »

Man, take a joke. I was responding to Sam Spade's comments in the GM thread about Harry being locked up. Seems like a resonable outcome Smiley

Well, it's kind of hard to take a joke if you don't know it's a joke. Do consider that this is text based, so I can't read your emotions all the time - use smilies or something when making a joke.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2005, 09:44:40 PM »

Announcement

Beginning at 12:01 PM CST May 1st, 2005, The Southeastern Regional Courts will close officially until further notice. All pending court cases and appeals are postponed to a date to be determined later.

I ask the Governor for a stay on all pending executions to allow any last minute appeals to be heard when the courts open again.

-Jake
Southeastern Magistrate
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2005, 09:48:40 PM »

Announcement

Beginning at 12:01 PM CST May 1st, 2005, The Southeastern Regional Courts will close officially until further notice. All pending court cases and appeals are postponed to a date to be determined later.

I ask the Governor for a stay on all pending executions to allow any last minute appeals to be heard when the courts open again.

-Jake
Southeastern Magistrate

Excuse me, but...why?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2005, 09:57:41 PM »

Announcement

-Jake
Southeastern Magistrate

Excuse me, but...why?
I don't have a clue.  I hope it doesn't have to do with the present situation.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2005, 09:58:13 PM »

Announcement

-Jake
Southeastern Magistrate

Excuse me, but...why?
I don't have a clue.  I hope it doesn't have to do with the present situation.
What else would it have to do with?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2005, 09:59:11 PM »

Jake's order to stop issuing marriage licences to same-sex couples was struck by the Court. Best way to stop issuing the licences is for the SE Courts to simply shut down. Just a guess however.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2005, 10:00:35 PM »

Jake's order to stop issuing marriage licences to same-sex couples was struck by the Court. Best way to stop issuing the licences is for the SE Courts to simply shut down. Just a guess however.

This is probably a correct assumption.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2005, 10:02:02 PM »

makes sense
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2005, 10:02:53 PM »

Actually, the best way to stop issuing marriage licenses is to simply stop issuing them. The decision over the case quite clearly states this:

Therefore, we find the Marriage Equity Act constitutional, and the actions of both the Governor and the Southeastern Magistrate to be unconstitutional.  However, since the Marriage Equity Act is a federal law, and the power to regulate marriage is a Federal power, a region may decide to opt out of issuing marriage licenses altogether, and allow the federal government to be the only licensing agency within its borders.  The federal government can not force the regions to take part, though they may if they wish to do so. The regions may choose whether or not to issue marriage licenses, but if they choose to do so they must issue all valid federal licenses."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies