1872 Election (The Hearse at Monticello)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:34:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1872 Election (The Hearse at Monticello)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For President and Vice President
President Salmon P. Chase (D-OH)/ Governor Samuel Tilden (D-NY)

Senator Benjamin Bristow (R-KY)/ Speaker of the House James G. Blaine (R-ME)

Fmr. Senator Andrew Johnson (CU-TN)/ Congressman Benjamin F. Loan (CU-MO)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: 1872 Election (The Hearse at Monticello)  (Read 1233 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »

Chase would interpret his overwhelming victory at the Democratic National Convention as a vindication of his term, and launched himself into the fall campaign determined to expand the mandate for Civil Service Reform. With fellow reformer Samuel Tilden of New York as his running mate, Chase launched an aggressive defense of the reform movement, lambasting his Republican opponents as slaves to the spoils system who "seek only to cover up" shady dealings. Nevertheless, Chase's own record was not nearly as successful as he let on, and this and the defection of anti-civil rights Democrats meant that Chase was in more dire straights than his speeches suggested.
The president's Republican opponent was Senator Benjamin Bristow, a Radical Republican who, like Chase, was committed to reform. Though forced to accept Speaker of the House James G. Blaine (regarded by reformers as one of the most guilty men in Washington) as his running mate, Bristow would likewise double down on calls for reform, charging Chase with "selective refurbishment" that ignored the worst sources of corruption. The almost entirely overlooked Unionist candidate was former Senator Andrew Johnson. With Unionism a dying ideology as the Civil War receded further and further into the past, Johnson's main base of support lies with racist Southerners angered by Chase's support for the 14th and 15th Amendments.
The Reformer, the Radical, or the Racist? Vote!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:03:26 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2015, 08:16:59 AM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

And with the selection of Blaine as the running mate for Bristow, I can safely say I'm sticking with Chase.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:05:34 PM »

Bristow
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:56 PM »

Bristow.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 11:39:09 PM »

Bristow sounds pretty good.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 05:23:38 AM »

Chase to consolidate the Democrats' pro-Civil Rights turn.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »

And with the selection of Blaine as the running mate for Bristow, I can safely say I'm sticking with Chase.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2015, 01:34:28 PM by X »

@ Harry S. Truman: How do you select VPs, since Wade got one vote in the nomination thread while Blaine got none?  If you pick them yourself, that's obviously fine, but I just wanted to clarify.

@ everyone: A very reluctant vote for Bristow.  Hopefully Blaine gets himself impeached.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »

How does Johnson have five votes?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »

@ Harry S. Truman: How do you select VPs, since Wade got one vote in the nomination thread while Blaine got none?  If you pick them yourself, that's obviously fine, but I just wanted to clarify.

Normally I give the VP spot to whoever gets the most mentions in the convention thread, but I occasionally pick the nominee myself to maintain a minimum level of realism or to push the timeline in a certain direction. In this particular case, Wade had been appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court under President Stevens, and I doubted he would want to leave that post for arguably the most insignificant office in the federal government. Since Bristow is a Radical Republican from Kentucky, the Reps needed a conservative New Englander to balance the ticket. Blaine fit both bills.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »

Went with Bristow.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 07:23:42 PM »

Well.

This is officially the closest election since 1820. Unless someone feels like coming along and breaking the tie, the subtraction of my vote would give the election to Bristow.

On another note, WHO IN TARNATION IS VOTING FOR JOHNSON?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 07:25:07 PM »

Well.

This is officially the closest election since 1820. Unless someone feels like coming along and breaking the tie, the subtraction of my vote would give the election to Bristow.

When Bristow and Chase faced off in an earlier timeline, Chase won by one vote.
Historia Crux
Andy Jackson
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »

Well.

I voted for Johnson. My reasons were an interest in third parties (similar to Zioneer in the primaries) and what interesting effects it has on the story and subsequent election in the series. Can't speak for the other five voters though.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 08:27:16 PM »

1876 Presidential Election

Senator Benjamin Bristow (Republican-Kentucky)/ Speaker of the House James G. Blaine (Republican-Maine): 199 Electoral Votes; 41.9% popular votes
President Salmon P. Chase (Democratic-Ohio)/ Governor Samuel Tilden (Democratic-New York): 155 Electoral Votes; 38.7% popular votes
Fmr. Senator Andrew Johnson (Constitutional Union-Tennessee)/ Congressman Benjamin F. Loan (Constitutional Union-Missouri): 12 Electoral Votes; 19.4% popular votes

In one of the closest elections to date, President Salmon P. Chase was narrowly defeated by Kentucky Senator Benjamin Bristow in his bid for reelection, largely due to the defection of Southern Democrats angered by Chase's actions to enforce the 14th and 15th Amendments. While these disenchanted Southerners momentarily buoyed the sagging Constitutional Union Party, they had the unintended effect of returning the Radical Republicans to the helm of the country, just fours years after the party had been successfully defeated.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies