US military recruiting children
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:24:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US military recruiting children
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: US military recruiting children  (Read 6041 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:04:51 AM »

http://iraqwar.mirror-world.ru/article/46616

This is BAD. Do they really think kids don't ever change their minds between 14 and 18 and that many naive 14 year olds just see easy money?

This is very wrong.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 03:05:48 AM »

They do need a parent’s permission, but I can’t say I like this idea, especially for 14 year olds.
   I can see where the military is going with this.  Initially at least, the kids who sign up for this are going to be mainly those who would have gone into the military when they graduated from high school anyway.  By giving the pre-enlistees spendable money now, it will give them funds that could be used in ways that raise their popularity and by extension make the military seem more cool.  As a marketing strategy, I can think of worse ones, but that doesn’t meant that I like it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 05:44:11 AM »

Haha!  In America, the kid can't consent to having sex, but he can consent to signing up to get killed.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 03:07:41 PM »

I would hope this is a hoax.

Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 03:23:53 PM »

Snopes

It's a hoax.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 08:59:32 PM »

Yeah, seriously, when you see something this outrageous, something that if true would cause an absolute ruckus, check Snopes.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 09:00:45 PM »

Damnit, I was hoping for a signing bonus Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 09:01:07 PM »

Yeah, seriously, when you see something this outrageous, something that if true would cause an absolute ruckus, check Snopes.

Sometimes crazy sh**t isn't a hoax.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=20617.0
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 09:02:11 PM »

I actually had no problem with this when I thought it was real.  Only the part where you have to give some of the money back if you die before completing your tour bothers me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 09:13:31 PM »

Sometimes crazy sh**t isn't a hoax.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=20617.0

Just because it sometimes isn't doesn't mean you should automatically assume it's true. Checking to see if it's a hoax before you go posting it as truth is always a good idea.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 11:44:46 PM »

It's a good idea to Google the article before posting with the keyword "hoax" added to your search. Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 01:51:04 AM »

If it was real, it'd be better for the kids then going around snoking pot.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 06:34:40 AM »

Smoking pot is very nearly harmless, while joining the military is self-destructive idiocy.  Of course both those statements should be adjusted depending on the socio-economic class of the person in question.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 01:01:32 AM »

Smoking pot is very nearly harmless, while joining the military is self-destructive idiocy.  Of course both those statements should be adjusted depending on the socio-economic class of the person in question.

Joining the millitary is not self-destrutive idiocy.  It is an important job that needs doing.  Even in peacetime they act as a powerful deterent to potential agressors to US interests (and even moreso to potential agressors against the US - an act that would be sheer suicide for any nation to attempt in this day and age).

Contrary to the beliefs of the political extremes (whether neo-cons who see them as cannon fodder for empire building, or radicals who see them as jackbooted thugs), These are by and large hard working and honorable individuals who play an important role in maintaining our nations security and interests.   Now, exactly which circumstances warrant large scale millitary intervention is a whole different debate, and the millitary is definitely not a good career choice for everyone - but that's why we wait until a person is a legal adult and (presumably) able to make well informed decisions about their future.   It's not a job to be undertaken lightly, but it's not self-destructive foolishness by any stretch of imagination.

Now, red shirted jr. officer in Starfleet - that's a self-destructive job choice....
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 01:19:25 AM »

Now, red shirted jr. officer in Starfleet - that's a self-destructive job choice....

LOL! Amen to that.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 06:09:43 AM »

Hey! Let's learn from the Iranians! Their minimum age for military is 13!! Let's make ours 13...no wait...10...no no no...5. Yes! Five! Let's have suicide bombers! Let's show the terrorists what we're made of!!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 11:29:09 AM »

Contrary to the beliefs of the political extremes (whether neo-cons who see them as cannon fodder for empire building, or radicals who see them as jackbooted thugs), These are by and large hard working and honorable individuals who play an important role in maintaining our nations security and interests.   

...but it's not self-destructive foolishness by any stretch of imagination.

I never said they weren't 'honorable' or hard working, just that joining the military was self-destructive.  What I meant by that is that is highly dangerous, particularly when compared to the meager reward.  This is particularly the case with Neo-Cons in charge of the State.

You should read Catch-22.  Yossarian always says his officers are trying to kill him.  He's right!

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 11:33:29 AM »

Contrary to the beliefs of the political extremes (whether neo-cons who see them as cannon fodder for empire building, or radicals who see them as jackbooted thugs), These are by and large hard working and honorable individuals who play an important role in maintaining our nations security and interests.   

...but it's not self-destructive foolishness by any stretch of imagination.

I never said they weren't 'honorable' or hard working, just that joining the military was self-destructive.  What I meant by that is that is highly dangerous, particularly when compared to the meager reward.  This is particularly the case with Neo-Cons in charge of the State.

You should read Catch-22.  Yossarian always says his officers are trying to kill him.  He's right!

Self sacrifice, service, duty and honor are all concepts that are alien to you Opebo.
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 02:25:05 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2005, 02:30:36 PM by ragnar »

Let's have suicide bombers! Let's show the terrorists what we're made of!!

LOL

That´s going in my signature
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2005, 08:29:56 PM »

Let's have suicide bombers! Let's show the terrorists what we're made of!!

LOL

That´s going in my signature
That was kind of sarcastic in how some of us to allow children to join the military. Ever heard of those 9-year-olds that Iran sent to minefields, with the Ayatollahs saying they go to paradise?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2005, 08:38:23 PM »

Self sacrifice, service, duty and honor are all concepts that are alien to you Opebo.

Quite true!  Only a fool would believe such rot.  Sacrificing yourself for your betters - in return for nothing.  Good god, how dumb.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2005, 09:12:11 PM »

Quite true!  Only a fool would believe such rot.  Sacrificing yourself for your betters - in return for nothing.  Good god, how dumb.

Have you ever considered that you may be a sociopath?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 09:16:16 PM »

Enjoy your  tommorrow opebo and remember the thousands who died so you could defame their sacrifice.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 09:17:47 PM »

Have you ever considered that you may be a sociopath?

Of course I am a sociopath - a term thought up by the propagandists for those they have failed to dupe.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2005, 09:39:29 PM »

Sociopaths say that they aren't sociopaths.

Oh well, I guess I'm a dupe then. Smiley

However I will say sociopaths are freedom fighters.  'Of the mind'.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies