Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 04:51:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 226290 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: March 10, 2015, 08:46:28 PM »

Guys, you're making me look bad.  I know you're just playing, but you're making me look bad.  Could you please stop?  You're making yourselves look bad in the process.

I wasn't aware you need assistance on that front.

Oh, I do a good enough job of that on my own.  Trust me.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1776 on: March 10, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »

Anyway, I am down to 12 days until my new career begins.  Even if the forum doesn't think it will last, doesn't mean I'm an automatic goner there.  Give me a chance here especially considering it is a completely different industry than what I'm used to.  Maybe change will be a good thing?

I did get some encouraging words from my uncle (Mom's brother) today saying he was proud of me for taking this job and putting an end to the unemployment.  He says just bringing in a paycheck, have more (and hopefully increasing) financial independence and being independent in a different city will be good for my psyche.  My uncle thinks this will be good for me.  I appreciated the words of encouragement.

Now THIS is why this stuff falls down. You're using pretty grandiose language here. It's a job, a relatively well-paid one with prospects if you perform well. Calling it a career would be intellectually dishonest.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1777 on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:49 PM »

Anyway, I am down to 12 days until my new career begins.  Even if the forum doesn't think it will last, doesn't mean I'm an automatic goner there.  Give me a chance here especially considering it is a completely different industry than what I'm used to.  Maybe change will be a good thing?

I did get some encouraging words from my uncle (Mom's brother) today saying he was proud of me for taking this job and putting an end to the unemployment.  He says just bringing in a paycheck, have more (and hopefully increasing) financial independence and being independent in a different city will be good for my psyche.  My uncle thinks this will be good for me.  I appreciated the words of encouragement.

Now THIS is why this stuff falls down. You're using pretty grandiose language here. It's a job, a relatively well-paid one with prospects if you perform well. Calling it a career would be intellectually dishonest.

Can't I be optimistic about turning this into a career? Or is optimism outlawed?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1778 on: March 10, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »

Can't I be optimistic about turning this into a career? Or is optimism outlawed?

Framing is always important and you're also putting pressure on yourself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1779 on: March 10, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »

Framing is always important and you're also putting pressure on yourself.

Okay, it's a job that I hope to turn into a career?  Is that better?
Panda Express

« Reply #1780 on: March 10, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »

Anyway, I am down to 12 days until my new career begins. 

What have you been doing to prepare for your new career?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1781 on: March 10, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »

I've spent some time researching the different cuts of meats, as well as extensive time reading the Team Member Handbook.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1782 on: March 10, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »

I've spent some time researching the different cuts of meats, as well as extensive time reading the Team Member Handbook.

How long will your new member education period last? Have they assigned you a "big" yet?

The handbook doesn't specify the new member education period.  Nor, have I heard who I'll be placed under other than the meat manager.  I haven't heard anything from them since March 3 and that was just to get the handbook.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1783 on: March 10, 2015, 09:40:42 PM »

How long will your new member education period last? Have they assigned you a "big" yet?

The handbook doesn't specify the new member education period.  Nor, have I heard who I'll be placed under other than the meat manager.  I haven't heard anything from them since March 3 and that was just to get the handbook.

Panda Express

« Reply #1784 on: March 10, 2015, 09:41:12 PM »

You better give some deets about your coworkers and supervisors. A grocery store is bound to have a lot of colorful characters.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1785 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 10:06:21 PM by J-Mann »

Anyway, I am down to 12 days until my new career begins.  Even if the forum doesn't think it will last, doesn't mean I'm an automatic goner there.  Give me a chance here especially considering it is a completely different industry than what I'm used to.  Maybe change will be a good thing?

I did get some encouraging words from my uncle (Mom's brother) today saying he was proud of me for taking this job and putting an end to the unemployment.  He says just bringing in a paycheck, have more (and hopefully increasing) financial independence and being independent in a different city will be good for my psyche.  My uncle thinks this will be good for me.  I appreciated the words of encouragement.

Jeff, you've been continuously encouraged to do some basic physical activity to attempt to prepare your body for what will be initially demanding on it. You haven't done a thing with this advice.

These people are not blowing smoke up your ass. You stood for two hours in a Sprint store and think you're Charles Atlas all of the sudden. That first day on the job of being on your feet for eight hours or more when you probably haven't managed that feat in literally years (decades?) will do a number on your legs, your back and your energy level. I'm in relatively good shape and am sore after WALKING a lot around a resort in the Dominican Republic for a few days.

You can keep the optimism as long as you're actually readying yourself for this. Don't use "I'm going to be at Mom and Dad's house for five days" as an excuse not to do the bare minimum of physical preparation. Damn, man ... get out and walk with them, one of the dogs, a friend, SOMEONE. Ask someone to hold you accountable.

If you don't, I am seeing sick days for minor aches and pains almost immediately. Optimism aside, you know how weak-willed you are once the discomfort begins. Why not TRY to prepare yourself physically?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1786 on: March 10, 2015, 10:05:33 PM »

Jeff, you've been continuously encouraged to do some basic physical activity to attempt to prepare your body for what will be initially demanding on it. You haven't done a thing with this advice.

These people are not blowing smoke up your ass. You stood for two hours in a Sprint store and think you're Charles Atlas all of the sudden. That first day on the job of being on your feet for eight hours or more when you probably haven't managed that feat in literally years (decades?) will do a number on your legs, your back and your energy level. I'm in relatively good shape and am sore after WALKING a lot around a resort in the Dominican Republic for a few days.

You can keep the optimism as long as you're actually readying yourself for this. Don't use "I'm going to be a Mom and Dad's house for five days" as an excuse not to do the bare minimum of physical preparation. Damn, man ... get out and walk with them, one of the dogs, a friend, SOMEONE. Ask someone to hold you accountable.

If you don't, I am seeing sick days for minor aches and pains almost immediately. Optimism aside, you know how weak-willed you are once the discomfort begins. Why not TRY to prepare yourself physically?

I know I'll be sore for the first couple of weeks, but after the first month I should get used to it and be just fine.  I have no doubt I can do it.  I need to prepare, yes, but I don't anticipate it affecting my performance or my will power.  Nobody seems to understand that I'm ready to settle down into a career.  Everybody thinks I am going to flippantly let it go.  Nobody knows how well I can do at this job.  Heck, I don't even know how well I can do at this job.  I may very easily surprise myself.  People are allowed to have their own thoughts, but don't call me out for my positive thoughts and don't get angry when I call out negative thoughts.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1787 on: March 10, 2015, 10:10:23 PM »

I know I'll be sore for the first couple of weeks, but after the first month I should get used to it and be just fine.  I have no doubt I can do it.  I need to prepare, yes, but I don't anticipate it affecting my performance or my will power.  Nobody seems to understand that I'm ready to settle down into a career.  Everybody thinks I am going to flippantly let it go.  Nobody knows how well I can do at this job.  Heck, I don't even know how well I can do at this job.  I may very easily surprise myself.  People are allowed to have their own thoughts, but don't call me out for my positive thoughts and don't get angry when I call out negative thoughts.

Jeff, I'm not "calling you out" for any positivity. I'm being real with you. We have literally years' worth of Update to gauge that you do not do well under any physical discomfort. A cold, a "tummy ache," headaches, a sore back ... first you'll complain on here and Facebook about your plight, then end up taking time off because you "need to recover."

This is not negativity. It's realism. Prepare yourself. You have TWO WEEKS' worth of opportunity to at least acclimate your body to activity. Why are you being so stubborn as to ignore that and just think that (once again) your positive thoughts are going to be enough? Jesus, man ... help yourself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1788 on: March 10, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »

All that said, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny with highs in the middle 70's.  I'd be a fool not to get out and walk for a bit.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1789 on: March 10, 2015, 10:13:59 PM »

Jeff, I'm not "calling you out" for any positivity. I'm being real with you. We have literally years' worth of Update to gauge that you do not do well under any physical discomfort. A cold, a "tummy ache," headaches, a sore back ... first you'll complain on here and Facebook about your plight, then end up taking time off because you "need to recover."

This is not negativity. It's realism. Prepare yourself. You have TWO WEEKS' worth of opportunity to at least acclimate your body to activity. Why are you being so stubborn as to ignore that and just think that (once again) your positive thoughts are going to be enough? Jesus, man ... help yourself.

I know I need to be doing something, but don't automatically assume it's going to the same story.  Nobody knows how well I am going to do.  Just let me work this job.  You might just be surprised.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1790 on: March 10, 2015, 10:17:39 PM »

All that said, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny with highs in the middle 70's.  I'd be a fool not to get out and walk for a bit.

All what said? That your positivity will be enough? Trust me, man ... it won't be. You will be greatly helping yourself if you take time every day for the next 12 days to exercise a little.

Do yourself a favor tomorrow and don't time yourself. Just get out and walk. Enjoy the weather, maybe pick a park and wander around. Setting a time limit for yourself is accepting a pre-determined limitation. Let your body decide when it's done.

And dude -- stop with the pretentiousness. I'm trying to give you REAL, HONEST, HEARTFELT advice to freakin' help you out. No, I don't know it's going to be the same story. I don't know how well you're going to do. But we have a sh[inks]-ton of history to go by. It's like if your girlfriend cheated on you a dozen times and you kept giving her more chances because, "this time might be different."

Wouldn't you be more cautious and try to manage such a relationship better? I'm recommending the same. Don't just plan ... do. Do and prepare yourself for what's coming.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1791 on: March 10, 2015, 10:35:31 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 10:37:42 PM by SMilo »

Owen Park seems nice. The 2nd review on Google Maps:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Time to get the "loving on" right next to the Elementary School.

Do you think you could make the 1.4 mile walk to "Fat Guy's Burgers" from there? That sounds like an proper incentive for walking.

Some of the burgers are a little ethnic sounding. Have you ever eaten here?

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1792 on: March 10, 2015, 10:40:03 PM »

Owen Park seems nice. The 2nd review on Google Maps:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Time to get the "loving on" right next to the Elementary School.

Do you think you could make the 1.4 mile walk to "Fat Guy's Burgers" from there? That sounds like an proper incentive for walking.

Some of the burgers are a little ethnic sounding. Have you ever eaten here?

Doesn't even look appealing.  No, I have not tried it.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1793 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »

Ugh, no, these burgers don't look appealing at all. They'd finish Bushie off for good.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1794 on: March 10, 2015, 11:15:12 PM »

Ugh, no, these burgers don't look appealing at all. They'd finish Bushie off for good.

Bushie would still eat that. Ugh.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1795 on: March 10, 2015, 11:33:43 PM »

Guys, you're making me look bad.  I know you're just playing, but you're making me look bad.  Could you please stop?  You're making yourselves look bad in the process.

Bushie, why do you keep ignoring my questions? Cry
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1796 on: March 11, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »

Bushie go walk for 12 days so you won't be an out of shape mess on day 1
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1797 on: March 11, 2015, 08:29:47 AM »

How much (if any) walking have you done this week Bushie?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1798 on: March 11, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »

How much (if any) walking have you done this week Bushie?

I think he's given us all the signs that he's not even going to attempt this, regardless of how good of an idea it is or how much it would help him succeed. Positivity and a good attitude about the new job are enough to overcome the unavoidable pain his body will be in after day one.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1799 on: March 11, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »

Things just got real, folks! I go in this Monday, March 16, 2015 at 8:00 to fill out my new hire paperwork, get my work schedule, and my uniform shirts. Orientation is Monday, March 23, 2015 at 9:00. Yes, that call finally happened!! Most importantly, I'm still a part of the Sprouts-Owasso team. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies