Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:48:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 225144 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: March 06, 2015, 09:26:01 PM »

How much data do you use in a month on average?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1576 on: March 06, 2015, 09:28:16 PM »

I really don't know to be honest.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1577 on: March 06, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »

Bushie, do you also have a landline? Wouldn't surprise me.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1578 on: March 06, 2015, 09:37:45 PM »

Then why are you so certain you need unlimited data?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1579 on: March 06, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »

Yes, but only because it supports my home internet.  The modem requires a phone line.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1580 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:35 PM »

I just don't like being told how much data I can use on my phone.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1581 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:53 PM »

You're at home the whole day, there's no way you can be using enough data to necessitate unlimited data...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1582 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:23 PM »

Yes, but only because it supports my home internet.  The modem requires a phone line.

So you have home internet too? There is no way you use enough mobile data to warrant needing unlimited data.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1583 on: March 06, 2015, 09:44:34 PM »

I don't either, but I'm not going to spend an extra $600-1000 a year to prove a point to my phone carrier by buying data I don't need.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1584 on: March 06, 2015, 09:48:04 PM »

Back in the day when I had unlimited data and used it excessively streaming YouTube music videos, I think the most I hit in a month was 9 GB.

Currently I stream just about every sports game using WatchESPN no matter where I am, and at max, I slightly exceed 4 GB a month (usually much less). The rest of my family is excessively concerned about data, but they barely even combine for 1 GB no matter how much they use Pandora in the car. We never even come close to our data limit.

You by yourself are never going to be going over 3 GB in a month unless you are actively trying to. Accessing Atlas or Facebook or E-mail uses next to nothing. You won't even get to .3 GB from those sources.

Do yourself a favor and check. The worst you can do is spend a second comparing the cost.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1585 on: March 06, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »

Bushie does not even stream music or make social media photo uploads. I doubt he's even hitting the basic plan 1GB a month.

Boy, Bushie was not kidding when he said $15/hr to live comfortably. Honestly with these spending habits he probably needs to be making $80-100k a year.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1586 on: March 06, 2015, 09:59:36 PM »

Full disclosure, I work for a cell carrier (I won't say which one, though it should probably be obvious.)

I'm most surprised that Sprint has data service in Oklahoma considering the few in the tristate with Sprint can't ever seem to get coverage.

Oklahoma probably has great cell service almost everywhere. It's very flat, which is all that's really needed for strong service. If the Tri-state area you're referring to is where I think it is, then it's rather hilly, and mountains and valleys are the biggest problem with cell coverage, I've only managed to find one dead spot in North Dakota of all places and it's at the bottom of a natural bowl. Granted I know Sprint's coverage in North Dakota is pretty weak, but that's true for any non-Verizon carrier and has more to do with market forces (Verizon established a near monopoly in the Dakotas before any other carrier thought of setting up there and now dominates the market so thoroughly it's pretty hard for any others to break in so most haven't bothered offering anything but very bare bones service for passers-through.)

How do you upgrade your phone each year? AT&T only lets me get a new phone every two years.
Sprint lets you buy the phone on installments and they add the cost of the phone on your bill each month. Of course, they charge an arm and a leg for this "service." You end up paying far more than full retail price for the phone.

Does Sprint give any sort of discount though for having the installment payments? I also got my phone on an installment plan, but since the monthly cost is $25/month and I also get a $25/month discount to my line access charge, it's basically free. And I can trade it in and upgrade after a year too. If Sprint is simply charging you a monthly installment more than the full retail price of the phone (which already is usually more than $400 more than the advertised contract price)...then yeah that's both a massive rip off and one Bushie can't afford.

I don't either, but I'm not going to spend an extra $600-1000 a year to prove a point to my phone carrier by buying data I don't need.

And Sprint's "unlimited data" just means you don't get charged an overage for it, they'll still throttle you to some pretty slow speeds if you go over 2GB a month. There's a reason carriers are moving away from unlimited data, because modern day smartphones are a huge strain on the networks. Back when unlimited data was the rule, people just used them for email and web access. If all carriers allowed unlimited data with not throttling everyone would be getting way slower service (and it'd probably be mostly due to a few hogs clogging up the network)

To be fair though, Sprint is known as one of the cheaper carriers (Verizon and AT&T are the most expensive with the huge networks, Sprint and T-Mobile have the smaller networks but a much lower price), so Bushie isn't really spending more money in regards to keeping his unlimited data, if it wasn't for the phone installment sale thing. But what he's apparentely paying so he can upgrade every year...oh yeah.

FYI the most data I've ever managed to use on my phone is 6GB. And you all know how much I play Ingress.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1587 on: March 06, 2015, 10:12:45 PM »

So, Bushie has
1. Unlimited Everything Phone Plan
2. Installment Pay Phone
3. Landline (!)
4. Home Internet
5. Super Duper Premium Cable Package
6. Scammy Life Insurance
7. Multiple Credit Cards with interest
8. Student Loans
9. Kenyan Children
10. Unnecessary Apartment
11. Unecessary Apartment's utilities
12. Very frequent eating out
13. Gas/Car Maintenance
14. Car insurance
15. Misc scams
All while chronically unemployed...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1588 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »

Full disclosure, I work for a cell carrier (I won't say which one, though it should probably be obvious.)

I'm most surprised that Sprint has data service in Oklahoma considering the few in the tristate with Sprint can't ever seem to get coverage.

Oklahoma probably has great cell service almost everywhere. It's very flat, which is all that's really needed for strong service. If the Tri-state area you're referring to is where I think it is, then it's rather hilly, and mountains and valleys are the biggest problem with cell coverage, I've only managed to find one dead spot in North Dakota of all places and it's at the bottom of a natural bowl. Granted I know Sprint's coverage in North Dakota is pretty weak, but that's true for any non-Verizon carrier and has more to do with market forces (Verizon established a near monopoly in the Dakotas before any other carrier thought of setting up there and now dominates the market so thoroughly it's pretty hard for any others to break in so most haven't bothered offering anything but very bare bones service for passers-through.)

I was jokingly speaking about the state having infrastructure. I know it's an ideal spot.
(And NY/NJ/CT was my reference not that it's relevant to my point other than being developed.)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1589 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »

And another thing... he gets his home internet from the phone company which also bundles him in a landline.

Why doesn't he just get it through the cable company he's paying $200 a month for premium packages? Cable broadband is way better anyway!? Why does an unemployed man with very few contacts have so many computers, phone lines, internet bandwidth?

The U.S. Defense budget is more discerning.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1590 on: March 06, 2015, 10:24:07 PM »

And another thing... he gets his home internet from the phone company which also bundles him in a landline.

Why doesn't he just get it through the cable company he's paying $200 a month for premium packages? Cable broadband is way better anyway!? Why does an unemployed man with very few contacts have so many computers, phone lines, internet bandwidth?

The U.S. Defense budget is more discerning.

I do get it with my cable.  That's a reason why my cable bill is so high.  Cox Cable is who I use.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1591 on: March 06, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »

So, Bushie has
1. Unlimited Everything Phone Plan
2. Installment Pay Phone
3. Landline (!)
4. Home Internet
5. Super Duper Premium Cable Package
6. Scammy Life Insurance
7. Multiple Credit Cards with interest
8. Student Loans
9. Kenyan Children
10. Unnecessary Apartment
11. Unecessary Apartment's utilities
12. Very frequent eating out
13. Gas/Car Maintenance
14. Car insurance
15. Misc scams
All while chronically unemployed...

Thankfully, that last statement changes in just 16 days.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1592 on: March 06, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »

I find it ironic that meanwhile, I don't have cable and I'm "making do" with an iPhone 5S, despite the fact that I make more money than Bushie does, and probably still made more than he does in an average year even when I was in grad school and only working part time.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1593 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:42 PM »

I find it ironic that meanwhile, I don't have cable and I'm "making do" with an iPhone 5S, despite the fact that I make more money than Bushie does, and probably still made more than he does in an average year even when I was in grad school and only working part time.

Look at you, so high and proud.  Want a cookie?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1594 on: March 06, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »

You mean you haven't eaten all of them yourself?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1595 on: March 06, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2015, 10:35:42 PM by Monarch »

Yes, the last statement should now read "while only making $10/hr."

Your budget is out of control, man. Those are the kind of services my parents buy, but they're upper middle class professionals at this point in their careers. You are simply making your life more uncomfortable by buying these things you do. not. use.

Look at you, so high and proud.  Want a cookie?

You're the one acting proud. Buying unnecessary stuff and refusing to do the adult thing and budget your lifestyle. You can't honestly expect to ever become a husband or father, even adoptive, if you can't avoid this opulence.

This data thing is especially nonsensical. You don't even use it so why not get the bare minimum? You're not being limited either. Do you know what happens when you hit your data limit for the month? A text message telling you to respond if you want to buy another GB for the remainder of the month added to your bill.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1596 on: March 06, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »

You mean you haven't eaten all of them yourself?

Nice comeback Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1597 on: March 06, 2015, 10:39:48 PM »

The data thing is not a big deal.  It's just a personal preference.  Plus, like BRTD said, Sprint is the cheapest of the major carriers.  It's a wash either way, really.
Panda Express

« Reply #1598 on: March 06, 2015, 10:42:47 PM »

Yeah, so buy the more expensive plan! That'll show them!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1599 on: March 06, 2015, 10:45:35 PM »

The plan itself is one of their cheapest plans at $50.  Add in $25 for the phone and some taxes and I should be looking at about $100-$115 max.  Cheaper than my last bill by a fair amount.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies