CA- 2018: Faulconer, Newsom lead primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:14:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA- 2018: Faulconer, Newsom lead primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA- 2018: Faulconer, Newsom lead primary  (Read 3921 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »

Very early, but PPP polled it:

An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »

Wow, that's early! I'm sad to see that John Chiang is only at 10%. I'm surprised that they only included one Republican.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 04:28:49 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2015, 04:41:25 PM by Joshua »

Wow. When Republicans dropped below 30% in statewide party registration, it wasn't a joke.

Good to see Harris and Newsom slapping around Villaraigosa like they should be.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:06:20 AM »

It looks like Newsom has the bay area support pretty much wrapped up.

It should be noted, however that Southern California Democrats are getting 44% of the vote. I think that after getting beaten up in the Senate race, Villaraigosa will sit out for Guv.

Chiang is really the most qualified for govern and would do the best job. He is extremely knowledgeable and policy wonkish and can argue that he would carry on the steady hand leadership of Gov. Brown, except with a more progressive flavor. I really hope he runs and manages to make it into the top two--a top two in which he kicks Newsom's butt would be a great sight to see.

I think Chiang could actual get a fair bit of independent and moderate GOP support who see him as a better alternative to the other Dems. He would also be able to cut into the support for Newsom in SF because of his strength in the growing Asian-American community there.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:11:44 AM »

For mayor and for senate, and the governor office will be his third run at public office, Newsom has already tried to run for.

Outside of the Bay area, he hasn't expanded beyond his base of supporters there, I think Dems will turn the page, and elect the San Diego guy.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 02:27:37 AM »

It should be noted, however that Southern California Democrats are getting 44% of the vote. I think that after getting beaten up in the Senate race, Villaraigosa will sit out for Guv.

Chiang is really the most qualified for govern and would do the best job. He is extremely knowledgeable and policy wonkish and can argue that he would carry on the steady hand leadership of Gov. Brown, except with a more progressive flavor. I really hope he runs and manages to make it into the top two--a top two in which he kicks Newsom's butt would be a great sight to see.

I think Chiang could actual get a fair bit of independent and moderate GOP support who see him as a better alternative to the other Dems. He would also be able to cut into the support for Newsom in SF because of his strength in the growing Asian-American community there.

Another John Chiang supporter? Yay!

I'd love to see him get one of the spots, with Dave Jones (the State Insurance Commissioner) getting one of the spots for Lt. Gov.

Fun fact: Dave Jones was elected student body president of his high school (all the way back in Chicago), with John Chiang as his VP.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:38:46 AM »

Wow, that's early! I'm sad to see that John Chiang is only at 10%. I'm surprised that they only included one Republican.

Agreed, the top 3 are all ugh.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:33 AM »

Agreed, the top 3 are all ugh.

I don't mind Garcetti. I think he'd be a decent successor to Feinstein, actually.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 04:30:15 AM »

Another John Chiang supporter? Yay!

I'd love to see him get one of the spots, with Dave Jones (the State Insurance Commissioner) getting one of the spots for Lt. Gov.

Fun fact: Dave Jones was elected student body president of his high school (all the way back in Chicago), with John Chiang as his VP.

Yeah, I read that about Chiang and Jones. Really interesting factoid.

Kind of reminds me of how Nancy Pelosi and Steny Hoyer knew each other from Maryland and were both on staff together for MD senator Daniel Brewster. Except rather than being at odds with each other, Chiang and Jones seem to work very well together and are supportive of each other.

Newsom has a quality about him that can rub people the wrong way and given that he's started campaigning so early, he has lots of time to mess up... and the anti-Newsom forces might try to coalesce behind one candidate--hopefully our man.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 03:24:59 PM »

I also like Chiang, and I see him being the best person to continue what Brown is doing in California. Very few California Dems enthuse me, but Chiang is someone who deserves to be in the race and I could get behind.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »

I know very little about Chiang, can someone tell me more about him?
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 12:57:19 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2015, 01:02:05 AM by Fubart Solman »

I know very little about Chiang, can someone tell me more about him?

I see him as standing up for the middle class, as shown by his actions after Arnold's antics over the state budget back in the Schwarzenneger administration.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This article gives a bit of later context about Chiang's first term as controller from 2007-2011. (He was re-elected in 2010 to serve from 2011-2015 and won election as treasurer for 2015 to 2019.)  http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/16/local/la-me-chiang-profile-20100716

There may be edits with more info. My phone doesn't like to save things when I switch tabs in my browser.

Edit 1: Here's another article written at the time of the "showdown": http://sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Governor-sues-controller-to-force-pay-cuts-3199879.php
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »

Chiang is someone the left, particularly the student left, can really get behind. If he can shore up enough of that support, he'll have a cadre of volunteers and activists that could realistically put him toe-to-toe against Newsom by shoring up the rest of the liberal Democrats.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 12:31:23 AM »

So Chiang is a progressive technocrat type, then. How is he on the issues (on any issues), beyond the ones you've already talked about?
pikachu
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 09:50:29 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how united is the Asian community in CA Democratic primaries considering the diversity of the community? It sounded like there was some split in the Khanna-Honda race between Indians and other Asians, so does this also play out in other races?
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »

Chiang is someone the left, particularly the student left, can really get behind. If he can shore up enough of that support, he'll have a cadre of volunteers and activists that could realistically put him toe-to-toe against Newsom by shoring up the rest of the liberal Democrats.

California college students don't vote.

Chiang would be the best candidate for Senate in 2018.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »

The Senate would be a good choice if he doesn't think he can beat Gavin in the gubernatorial primary. Feinstein will be 85; I doubt that she'll run. If she does, I think someone significant will challenge her.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 09:33:44 AM »

The Senate would be a good choice if he doesn't think he can beat Gavin in the gubernatorial primary. Feinstein will be 85; I doubt that she'll run. If she does, I think someone significant will challenge her.

I thought the consensus on Feinstein was that she's a senator for life type?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies