Boko Haram and the Demon Consensus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:19:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Boko Haram and the Demon Consensus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boko Haram and the Demon Consensus  (Read 1043 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://pando.com/2015/01/28/the-war-nerd-boko-haram-and-the-demon-consensus/
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 06:05:42 AM »

Huh?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 07:44:28 AM »

It's something of a rant, but I found it interesting. Posting it was not a attack on anybody on Atlas, whose posters have been better than the people he describes (but those people do exist).
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »

I thought the calls of "Why is no one talking about Nigeria?" were ironic too.

You can be sure, if the media was actually covering it, the same people making that original call would be complaining about that story demonizing Muslims too.

Why would anyone think that pulling attention away from one Islamic fundamentalist perpetrated massacre to an even larger Islamic fundamentalist massacre would stem feelings of "Islamaphobia"?

There was an additional layer of irony if you know how Charlie Hebdo got its name. It was ribbing Charles de Gaulle after his funeral got more media coverage than the deaths of several people at a building collapse. So the people at Charlie Hebdo probably would have agreed with the people saying "What about Nigeria?" only they would have meant it more than as a knee jerk anti-Western/pro-Muslim thing.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:08:49 AM »

Seeing as how many victims of Boko Haram are also Muslim, attacking criticism of them as "Islamophobic" makes as much sense as...just about anything those types prone to do say actually.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »

Seeing as how many victims of Boko Haram are also Muslim, attacking criticism of them as "Islamophobic" makes as much sense as...just about anything those types prone to do say actually.

The victims of Boko Haram are sometimes Muslims, but they target the local Christian minority primarily, the girls from the school was to large extent Christians or animist. The Muslims they target are often the more modern ones. I honestly think you should try reading the earlier article Gary Brecher mention in the article.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 10:22:32 AM »

No, they're usually Muslims.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »

For such a serious subject it's generally best not to use titles that sound like 'edgy' thrash rap band names.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 03:58:04 PM »

For such a serious subject it's generally best not to use titles that sound like 'edgy' thrash rap band names.
'

What the **** are you talking about? I'm sorry that the author's condemnation of perceived hypocrisy sound like "'edgy' thrash rap band names" to you.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »

'

What the **** are you talking about? I'm sorry that the author's condemnation of perceived hypocrisy sound like "'edgy' thrash rap band names" to you.

'Boko Haram and the Demon Consensus' sounds like an 'edgy' thrash rap band name, and 'demon consensus' is an unbelievably nonsensical and stupid term in general.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 04:50:44 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2015, 05:00:42 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

'

'Boko Haram and the Demon Consensus' sounds like an 'edgy' thrash rap band name, and 'demon consensus' is an unbelievably nonsensical and stupid term in general.

The War Nerds also sounds like a band name.

"Gary Brecher and The War Nerds featuring Boko Haram and the Demon Consensus."
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »

The subject in the article is interesting, but Brecher seems to be nursing some personal grudges against enemies in the Western/US press. The "predatory Sahel Muslims prey on peaceful Black Christian/Animist peasants" has a core of truth, but is also a very simplistic way of viewing a string of rather complex conflicts.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »

The subject in the article is interesting, but Brecher seems to be nursing some personal grudges against enemies in the Western/US press.

Oh yes, in fact Gary Brecher are a pen name for John Dolan, who in the "Unmournable Frenchies" precisely told the story behind these personal grudges (internal left wing infighting).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

All conflicts are always much more complex than how they're presented. But I think that's a good model as so many others.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 09:05:27 PM »

It's now widely reported that the school the initial bringbackourgirls girls were kidnapped from was a mostly Christian school. When it happened, I saw a lot of places saying it was a Muslim school, I can only assume specifically to avoid "demonizing Muslims."
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 04:07:56 AM »

It's now widely reported that the school the initial bringbackourgirls girls were kidnapped from was a mostly Christian school. When it happened, I saw a lot of places saying it was a Muslim school, I can only assume specifically to avoid "demonizing Muslims."

I'm more generous, and simply think it was ignorance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies