How did your grandparents vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:04:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did your grandparents vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: How did your grandparents vote?  (Read 16397 times)
Drew
drewmike87
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2022, 02:00:53 PM »

I know that my paternal grandfather said that he did not vote for Obama in 2008, his last election.  He seemed to be R leaning as he watched a lot of Fox News.

My paternal grandmother was pretty consistently Dem.

My maternal grandfather likely voted Dem in 2016 and 2020 as he doesn’t like Trump.  I’m not sure prior to that, he seems to be an independent politically.

I don’t know about my maternal grandmother, but I’m guessing she leaned D due to a strong Jewish identity.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2022, 02:06:20 PM »

Paternal grandfather (1936-): Moderate, but loyal (Canadian) Tory all his life as far as I know. Voted Conservative this year too, but would probably be a Romney-Clinton-Biden voter in the states as he really doesn't like Trump

Paternal grandmother (1939-): More swingy, certainly has a bit of that "old person conservative" mindset, but goes back and forth between Conservatives and Liberals. She voted Liberal this time out

Maternal grandfather (1933-1997): Passed away when I was little, sadly, so I have no clue about his political views - but given his background (Southern European immigrant who came to Canada after WW2) and the voting patterns of the time, chances are he preferred the Liberals for as long as he was able to vote

Maternal grandmother (1934-): Doesn't really talk about politics and is quite elderly now, same 'immigrant Liberal' background as maternal grandfather, but I remember she liked Harper and has been sharing a lot of right-wing facebook memes lately (not a fan of Trudeau), so chances are she votes Conservative now. Then again, the most recent political opinions of hers that she's talked about around me was her distaste for anti-vaxxers, and in 2021 that was more associated with an elderly Liberal vote, so who knows
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2022, 02:54:42 PM »

Maternal grandparents (1931-2019 and 1933-present): Lifelong Conservative voters who voted UKIP in 2015 (interestingly enough though my maternal grandmother likes Joe Biden because he's Catholic). I believe all of my maternal great-grandparents were Labour voters though (Welsh and Irish working-class labourers who'd moved to England).

Paternal grandparents (1920-1992 and 1922-1994): I honestly don't know, I never met them, but I strongly suspect they were Labour given their similarly working class background.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2022, 02:46:28 AM »

Dad's side were solid Republicans like he. Mom's side were quintessential Reagan Democrats, though I know Grandpa voted for Dukakis in the last election before he died.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »

My grandpa was an Clinton-Trump voter
ModerateRadical
Rookie

« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2022, 01:23:17 PM »

Paternal grandfather was a union man who grew up in a Democrat-friendly household in MA. Not sure if he went for Eisenhower either time, but he definitely voted for Kennedy, LBJ, Humphrey, and Carter. He went for Nixon in '72 (my dad was 17 at the time, and was pretty disappointed). Like a fair number of blue-collar guys, he voted for Reagan in 1980, then voted straight-ticket Republican for the rest of his life (last election he voted in was 2004). Paternal grandmother generally voted for whoever the last person in her ear told her she should vote for (that person usually being either my grandfather or her very liberal sister-in-law). Maternal grandparents were Irish immigrants who came to MA in the 40's. As devout Irish Catholics, they absolutely adored JFK, but gradually drifted away into the Republican camp (not sure if they were Reagan Democrats, per se, but I know that they despised Bill Clinton and liked George W. Bush, so they were  probably registered Republicans by the mid-1990's, afaik).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2022, 02:14:21 PM »

I know my paternal grandmother is a strong Bill Clinton supporter (she says he's her favourite president, or at least one of her favourites); she supported Hillary Clinton as well and likes Obama and dislikes Trump. I don't know about my other 3 grandparents though.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2022, 05:16:06 PM »

My paternal grandfather was a first-generation German-American and a career navy man who died in '63. I don't know for sure how he voted in any election. However, my Dad remembers him talking about the discrimination he experienced as a young German-speaking lad during WWI (he was about ten when the US entered the war). The anti-German mania left a deep impression on him and encouraged an attitude of tolerance towards all people (excluding the Japanese, who he learned to hate during WWII). My guess is he was a life long Democratic voter from FDR on, with the exception of Eisenhower.

My paternal grandmother, I'm told, was an enthusiastic supporter of Hubert Humphrey in 1968. She was a first generation Norwegian-American. I have a feeling she was an old school New Dealer. She would have first been eligible to vote in the 1936 presidential election, and I expect she voted for FDR then and twice more, though I don't know for sure. She lived until 2005 and spent most of her adult life in California, so I'm curious if she made the switch over to the Republicans under Nixon or Reagan. If I had to guess, I'd say she stayed with the Democrats. That's based mostly on some comments my older brother relayed to me years later that she made when my parents moved to the south; she thought southerners as a group were racist rednecks, cranks and yahoos, and she was concerned about the effect raising my little brother and I in the south would have on us. So I kind of doubt she voted for W. Bush at the very least.

My maternal grandfather was apparently a big liberal in the sixties and seventies, but became a born-again Christian in the eighties. I'd guess he switched over to Reagan in '84 and never looked back, though I can't say for certain. I feel like he, in his character and the trajectory of his life, encapsulates the typical boomer to a T. Born in rural NC to a middle class family headed by a WWII vet, he got his high school sweetheart pregnant before heading off to college (in married housing). Worked as an itinerant insurance salesman for the rest of his life, while always scheming to hit big at something (pool hustling, diamond sales, writing religious books, etc. etc.).

My maternal grandmother is the only one of my four grandparents who is still alive. I know she voted for Clinton and then Biden because she can't stand Trump. And I know she was a two-time Bush voter before that. I think she's probably more in touch with the average American voter than most. She votes based on how she feels about the candidates's wives. She loooved Barbara Bush, whereas she thought Melania Trump was absolutely trashy. So, go figure. I'd guess she voted against Clinton and for Reagan, and then with my grandfather in his liberal phase, if she voted then at all. She would have first been eligible to vote for McGovern in '72, which is honestly pretty funny to think about. A more likely first vote, I think, would have been for Carter in '76, though honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she waited until the '90s to start voting.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2022, 07:35:12 PM »

My maternal grandmother is a Jill Stein voter, but I think both of my paternal grandparents were/are solid Democrats
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies