Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:27:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 78
Poll
Question: Will Bushie break 300 pounds before the end of February?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation  (Read 209928 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: January 20, 2015, 08:09:06 PM »

I've always lacked drive, determination, and follow through.

You should definitely include that statement on your resume.

Lol, I do that and I'm on the streets...  panhandling...
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #376 on: January 20, 2015, 09:16:37 PM »

Accounting is incredibly difficult.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's also extremely competitive. Back in the old days, you could get a degree in accounting and make decent money just doing basic reports by hand. Today, programs like Quicken do a lot of that kind of stuff automatically and accountants do a lot more complicated things like ensuring that companies are in compliance with extremely complicated laws. A lot of simple jobs in every field have been replaced by computers. Everybody is charging full speed ahead, trying to be dynamic and innovative. And then Bushie's off in a corner watching 14 hours of sports.

AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!!

Actually, as far as most businesses are concerned, what you're describing - very basic tracking of cash flows and budgets - is really more bookkeeping than accounting. Technically, you don't even really need a college degree to be a bookkeeper - the stereotypical sole proprietor small businessman usually has his semi-stay-at-home wife do the bookkeeping; though nowadays they'd probably prefer an Associate's degree.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #377 on: January 20, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »

Wasn't 'e-commerce' Bushie's college major once upon a time?

He graduated with it, but it was Northwestern Oklahoma E-Commerce, circa-2003. So he knows how to sell items on Usenet.

I thought it was OSU! Damn, update just keeps getting more depressing with each new chapter
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #378 on: January 20, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »

Do they have 'full figure' models available?

A beanbag with a paper-plate-and-macaroni-art face would be eerily lifelike when considering Jeff's love life.

You should definitely include that statement on your resume.

Jesus, Jeff ... isn't this just horribly depressing to say? Don't you want to do something about it!?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #379 on: January 20, 2015, 10:47:25 PM »

Jesus, Jeff ... isn't this just horribly depressing to say? Don't you want to do something about it!?

It's definitely not a pleasant thing to say.  I am trying to do something about it.  I just don't know how to gain those qualities.  You can't just go to Walmart and pick them up on sale.  They take time to acquire and develop.  What would you suggest I do to develop those qualities?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #380 on: January 20, 2015, 10:50:22 PM »

It's definitely not a pleasant thing to say.  I am trying to do something about it.  I just don't know how to gain those qualities.  You can't just go to Walmart and pick them up on sale.  They take time to acquire and develop.  What would you suggest I do to develop those qualities?

Read: Update, Seasons I through XX.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #381 on: January 20, 2015, 10:57:03 PM »

Wow, that was almost meta. "I've always lacked drive, determination and follow-through. I'd like to do something about it, but it's just, you know, so much effort and time involved. If I could just spend some money to do it, that would be more my style."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #382 on: January 20, 2015, 10:58:39 PM »

You actually can go to Wal-Mart and pick them up on sale, by starting out as an Associate and working your way up through Wal-Mart management.

You want a great job handed to you and you work that way when you have a job.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #383 on: January 20, 2015, 11:09:01 PM »

Wow, that was almost meta. "I've always lacked drive, determination and follow-through. I'd like to do something about it, but it's just, you know, so much effort and time involved. If I could just spend some money to do it, that would be more my style."

I never said I wanted it handed to me.  You made that up.  I asked how do I develop those qualities.  The keyword is "develop", which is not an instantaneous word.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #384 on: January 20, 2015, 11:09:50 PM »

You actually can go to Wal-Mart and pick them up on sale, by starting out as an Associate and working your way up through Wal-Mart management.

Again, I NEVER said that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #385 on: January 20, 2015, 11:13:09 PM »

Your actions say it. You worth yourself >$15/hr starting for no reason. You left another job in the past because you weren't getting frequent enough raises for no reason. You chased after scam jobs that promised big payouts for no reason.

You want a head start on everybody else.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #386 on: January 20, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »

Your actions say it. You worth yourself >$15/hr starting for no reason. You left another job in the past because you weren't getting frequent enough raises for no reason. You chased after scam jobs that promised big payouts for no reason.

I'm worth $15-$20 an hour, but I don't pursue jobs that pay that high because there are none with my qualifications.  However, in order to pay ALL the bills I need at least $12 an hour and that's not too much to ask for my experience and qualifications.  I don't need to spend time on minimum wage jobs, not because they aren't good, but because they aren't adequate for my needs.  My goal is to get completely out of Mom's checkbook and I cannot do that for less than $12 an hour unless I cancel EVERY piece of entertainment and live in the 1940's with nothing to do except sleep.
Panda Express

« Reply #387 on: January 20, 2015, 11:29:29 PM »

I'm worth $15-$20 an hour,

No you're not.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #388 on: January 20, 2015, 11:45:14 PM »

I cancel EVERY piece of entertainment and live in the 1940's with nothing to do except sleep.

That's not a death sentence. It's economizing. Part of being a responsible, independent adult is making the difficult decisions.

Sure, it's gonna suck for a while. But none of us ever made any remarkable growth by having everything they wanted all the time.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #389 on: January 20, 2015, 11:47:08 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2015, 11:48:52 PM by King »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

There, you just said it. You want the great job handed to you. You already want to be upper middle class for your local area in starting salary.

I cancel EVERY piece of entertainment and live in the 1940's with nothing to do except sleep.

Ah yes, people in the 1940s were famous for doing nothing but sleep.

Once again you confuse us saying "$200 cable package is bad" as saying "$10 basic cable is bad" and "internet access is bad."

You're gluttonous. You either want it all or none.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #390 on: January 20, 2015, 11:49:44 PM »

I'm worth $15-$20 an hour, but I don't pursue jobs that pay that high because there are none with my qualifications.  However, in order to pay ALL the bills I need at least $12 an hour and that's not too much to ask for my experience and qualifications.  I don't need to spend time on minimum wage jobs, not because they aren't good, but because they aren't adequate for my needs.  My goal is to get completely out of Mom's checkbook and I cannot do that for less than $12 an hour unless I cancel EVERY piece of entertainment and live in the 1940's with nothing to do except sleep.

Jeff, you seem to completely miss the point that a lower-wage job at which you can excel, learn, grow and take on more over time would be BETTER for you than continually shooting for $xx-an-hour jobs that you HAVE to have because they meet your needs.

Those haven't worked out for you in ... ever.

These guys are recommending to start fresh ... lower on the totem pole with something that isn't as challenging and / or risky for you, be good at it and be consistent with it, and through that you'll learn drive, determination and follow-through. Because if you want to get more money from a lower-wage job, you have to first excel at that lower-wage job.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #391 on: January 20, 2015, 11:51:05 PM »

I'm worth $15-$20 an hour,

No you're not.
^^^^^^^^
$15-20/hr buys an employee with drive, determination, and follow through. That's not a value judgement. It's an economic fact about where the labor market is right now. Go get a job that fits your skill set.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #392 on: January 20, 2015, 11:53:10 PM »

Read: Update, Seasons I through XX.

Perfect quote J-Mann.  Many people have tried to coach you over the years Jeff on a number of things, but you have not stuck with anything for more than a week or two.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #393 on: January 20, 2015, 11:54:40 PM »

My goal is to get completely out of Mom's checkbook and I cannot do that for less than $12 an hour unless I cancel EVERY piece of entertainment and live in the 1940's with nothing to do except sleep.

Then do that, Jeff. People who don't have the safety nets that you do have to forgo frivolous extras like eating out (even fast food), cable packages at apartments they don't live in, etc. The only reason you're able to keep this type of "entertainment" is because you've got a safety net to fall back on.

As I've told you before -- imagine life without your parents. What would you have to do to survive? Prioritize. That's what builds character, and drive, determination and follow-through. And you have to have all of those things to qualify for the $15-$20 an hour job. They're not handed out for qualities you admit you lack.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #394 on: January 20, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #395 on: January 21, 2015, 12:10:34 AM »

Jeff, you seem to completely miss the point that a lower-wage job at which you can excel, learn, grow and take on more over time would be BETTER for you than continually shooting for $xx-an-hour jobs that you HAVE to have because they meet your needs.

These guys are recommending to start fresh ... lower on the totem pole with something that isn't as challenging and / or risky for you, be good at it and be consistent with it, and through that you'll learn drive, determination and follow-through. Because if you want to get more money from a lower-wage job, you have to first excel at that lower-wage job.

So, I should give up completely on CAD and go work at a grocery store?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #396 on: January 21, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »

Let's not forget that this recent lay off was not my fault.  I would happily still be there if the job had been able to continue.  I did absolutely nothing wrong at that job to cause the job to go away.  I rarely ever missed except for a couple of days.  This job is going to really boost my resume because of the name of the company.  Plus, it gave me 3 months invaluable experience.  I now have 5 months experience in CAD which is better than being fresh out-of-the-box.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #397 on: January 21, 2015, 12:22:23 AM »

Bushie maybe you should go on the Biggest Loser? A chance to win  big bucks and change your life...
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #398 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:28 AM »

So, I should give up completely on CAD and go work at a grocery store?

Until you can personally develop those qualities that it takes to earn and keep a $15-$20-an-hour job, maybe. You've honestly got a lot to get together in your life, as your health prevents consistency in any work environment.

Your problem, Jeff, likely stems from never truly wanting in life. Sure, there are things you can't have that maybe you want, but -- at least as far as what you've shared here -- you've never had to prioritize. You've never had to choose between an unnecessary cable package and your next meal. You've never had to choose between a 200-mile round trip to go to a church picnic and paying rent.

Those people who you degrade -- the peasants who work at grocery stores, of all places -- likely show more independent thinking and living, more grit, more drive, more determination and more follow-through than you ever have. They may be working a second job while you work none because you're "worth more." They may be working toward something better, working while putting themselves through school. They may be raising a family through the same process of prioritization that seems lost on you.

You could learn a lot from people who earn less than you want but do much more than you have. It wouldn't hurt you to live in their shoes so you know why you're striving for something better; so that you actually develop the drive to get there, instead of just expecting it.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #399 on: January 21, 2015, 12:40:10 AM »

Let's not forget that this recent lay off was not my fault.  I would happily still be there if the job had been able to continue.  I did absolutely nothing wrong at that job to cause the job to go away.  I rarely ever missed except for a couple of days.  This job is going to really boost my resume because of the name of the company.  Plus, it gave me 3 months invaluable experience.  I now have 5 months experience in CAD which is better than being fresh out-of-the-box.

This work contract is going very well and things are looking pretty decently for it to be extended.  My boss so far is pleased with my work, and things are pointing in that direction.  There are no guarantees, of course, but things are looking as if I may be employed well into the Spring, maybe even Summer.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies