Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:52:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 78
Poll
Question: Will Bushie break 300 pounds before the end of February?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation  (Read 209964 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: January 20, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »

I wonder what percent of the Personal Assistant market Amazon controls. I suspect it's fairly high, and perhaps even complete domination in more rural areas. A more mundane item (socks, for example) can be purchased just about anywhere and with a minimum of embarrassment. Personal Assistants, even presuming one knows where to find one in a traditional store (I would have no idea in my medium sized city) are obviously much more suited to the anonymity of cyberspace.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #351 on: January 20, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »

Wasn't 'e-commerce' Bushie's college major once upon a time?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #352 on: January 20, 2015, 03:18:40 PM »

He graduated with it, but it was Northwestern Oklahoma E-Commerce, circa-2003. So he knows how to sell items on Usenet.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #353 on: January 20, 2015, 03:26:56 PM »

What's up, guys.  I have been looking for a job all day long, but I wonder if I'm barking up the wrong tree, because I haven't found any new jobs in several days.  I am using Craigslist, www.indeed.com, and www.simplyhired.com.  Should I try Monster and/or Career Builder or would they just have the same jobs that Indeed and Simply Hired have?  What sites or sources would you guys use if you were looking for a job?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #354 on: January 20, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »

Yes, it was, but like King said, it was 10-14 years ago.  E-Commerce is hard to get a job in, so I haven't really kept up with it, to be honest.  This is also why I had to switch to CAD, so I can actually find places to work.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #355 on: January 20, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »

Go to actual company's job sites. I posted this at the end of the last Update thread:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #356 on: January 20, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »

bushie probably doesnt do online shopping because some okies probably told him that shopping at wal mart and buying super duper computers on credit at best buy is good, wholesome, old fashioned country living.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #357 on: January 20, 2015, 03:45:59 PM »

Yes, it was, but like King said, it was 10-14 years ago.  E-Commerce is hard to get a job in, so I haven't really kept up with it, to be honest.  This is also why I had to switch to CAD, so I can actually find places to work.

What I'm wondering isn't why you don't have a job in it, but why you're apparently stymied by buying stuff on Amazon.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #358 on: January 20, 2015, 03:53:47 PM »

What I'm wondering isn't why you don't have a job in it, but why you're apparently stymied by buying stuff on Amazon.

I'm not really stymied by it, I just prefer brick-and-mortar shopping.  To me, the internet cannot replace face-to-face interaction with a sales clerk or a cashier.  It may be more convenient to buy online, but I am concerned with people's jobs, so I don't want to indulge in things that replace people's jobs if I can get away with it.  This is also why I don't like to use the self-checkout at Walmart.

Plus, as everybody here already knows, I am old fashioned, I prefer face-to-face interactions.  That's the way it should be, IMO.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #359 on: January 20, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »

I'm not really stymied by it, I just prefer brick-and-mortar shopping.  To me, the internet cannot replace face-to-face interaction with a sales clerk or a cashier.  It may be more convenient to buy online, but I am concerned with people's jobs, so I don't want to indulge in things that replace people's jobs if I can get away with it.  This is also why I don't like to use the self-checkout at Walmart.

Plus, as everybody here already knows, I am old fashioned, I prefer face-to-face interactions.  That's the way it should be, IMO.
If you were shopping at Bob's Corner Grocery and Linda's Neighborhood Hardware and Bob and Linda were both longtime friends, church members, or even just longtime people you bought stuff from, I could totally see where you're coming from. But you shop mostly at Wal-Mart and other enormous big boxes. What sort of face to face interaction do you get from the big box? You park your car, walk in, grab a shopping cart, navigate the aisles, and checkout. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume WalMart employees are slightly friendlier than they are here. Maybe they'll say "How are you, today? Did you find everything you need?" And you'll say "Doing great, I found everything just fine." And after bagging everything, the cashier may say "Have a nice day" And that's it! There's no sincere interaction. Just two people awkwardly navigating a deeply ingrained script. And you're concerned about a checker at Wal-Mart making $7.25/hr? Are you aware that when you buy things from Amazon, there are warehouse workers who must fulfill your order? And deliverymen who must come to your home? Did you think your purchases fell from the sky?
Why don't you try being honest and just say, this is the way I've always done things. I'm uncomfortable with change. That, at least, wouldn't insult our collective intelligence.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2015, 04:31:35 PM »

memphis, cut the sh**t, please.  Bushies needs to start working at Wal Mart, TODAY!!!  Lot's of money just passing him by here.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »

memphis, cut the sh**t, please.  Bushies needs to start working at Wal Mart, TODAY!!!  Lot's of money just passing him by here.
You'll get no argument from me on that point, Grumps. Bushie needs to get to work immediately! Even if he does want to hold on to the CADD fantasy, he needs something in the meantime. Something he can keep longer than a few months if he needs to.
At the pizza place I referenced several times in the past, we have an employee with Down's Syndrome who comes in for a few hours each day and fold boxes. I recently saw on the Facialbook that he just celebrated 13 years with the store. This is guy with enormous challenges in his life, but he found a job that suits his abilities, and his employer is happy to have him on the payroll. So what's Bushie's problem? He's not realistic about his circumstances, and doesn't seem to know himself well enough to know what sorts of job would be a realistic fit for him.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2015, 05:00:23 PM »

Memphis, the people of Oklahoma are mostly very friendly and very cordial.  It's one of the things I love about my state.  And, yes, I do care about workers who are only making minimum wage.  They have to provide for their families somehow.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2015, 05:12:29 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2015, 05:49:51 PM by memphis »

Memphis, the people of Oklahoma are mostly very friendly and very cordial.  It's one of the things I love about my state.  And, yes, I do care about workers who are only making minimum wage.  They have to provide for their families somehow.
I have no doubt that people in Oklahoma are friendly. However, I also know something about how Big Box stores operate. I shop at them frequently as well. The scale and model of the operation virtually guarantees that you will not receive much service and that you will not know the employees well enough to have any serious relationship beyond  "And how are you today?" Those points are completely fundamental to their operations. If you really wanted personalized service and an more traditional customer/worker relationship, Wal-Mart is the very last place on the planet where you would do your shopping. You may as well claim you go to Braum's because their food is so healthy. It's preposterous!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2015, 05:25:36 PM »

A guy who went to school for E-Commerce saying he doesn't think the Internet can replace face to face shopping interaction is like a dentist who doesn't believe in flossing.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2015, 05:51:22 PM »

Next he'll be saying that engineers shouldn't have to use those fancy pants computamabobs to draw their designs, when a simple pencil and paper has sufficed for centuries before.
Reginald
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2015, 05:58:18 PM »

I'd love to know why Bushie got a degree in e-commerce in the first place if he hates it so much. My suspicion is that it was a joke department and it was super easy to pass courses. Wouldn't be surprised if he started out with something more rigorous.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »

And the best part is that Papa Bushie will be paying for that degree in ecommerce until the day he assumes room temperature.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #368 on: January 20, 2015, 06:58:25 PM »

To me, the internet cannot replace face-to-face interaction with a sales clerk or a cashier.  It may be more convenient to buy online, but I am concerned with people's jobs, so I don't want to indulge in things that replace people's jobs if I can get away with it.

So you want to waste money you don't have to spend, so as to prop up the jobs of minimum wage workers, as if engaging in some kind of charity for them?  Do all Oklahomans think like this?  When did Oklahoma embrace communism?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: January 20, 2015, 07:02:03 PM »

I'd love to know why Bushie got a degree in e-commerce in the first place if he hates it so much. My suspicion is that it was a joke department and it was super easy to pass courses. Wouldn't be surprised if he started out with something more rigorous.

To your point, it was a very new department.  When I matriculated the first time in 2001, the program was only starting its second year.  Of course, the concept of electronic commerce was brand new back then, too.  I did change to Accounting for a brief time in 2002-2003 before switching back to E-Commerce because I didn't do well in the basic Accounting classes, averaging low C's (low 70's) in the three classes I took.  I graduated in E-Commerce in 2007, but then I found out that by 2009, the E-Commerce program had been discontinued and the professors returned to the Computer Science/Business/Finance fields from whence they came.  So, basically, being young, I chose a fad of a degree.  I should have tried harder in the Accounting major, so I could have been successful in that and maybe been a CPA by now or something.  Be that as it may, I'm now doing CAD work, which I really do enjoy despite the doubters in the Update viewing audience.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #370 on: January 20, 2015, 07:18:54 PM »

Accounting is incredibly difficult. My cousins got her BS in 2005 and still hasn't passed all her CPA tests.

You could have made ecommerce work if you put effort into it. Web designer types make good money around here that I know. You just aren't a self starter.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: January 20, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »

Accounting is incredibly difficult. My cousins got her BS in 2005 and still hasn't passed all her CPA tests.

You could have made ecommerce work if you put effort into it. Web designer types make good money around here that I know. You just aren't a self starter.

I can't exactly deny that.  I've always lacked drive, determination, and follow through.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #372 on: January 20, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »

Accounting is incredibly difficult.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's also extremely competitive. Back in the old days, you could get a degree in accounting and make decent money just doing basic reports by hand. Today, programs like Quicken do a lot of that kind of stuff automatically and accountants do a lot more complicated things like ensuring that companies are in compliance with extremely complicated laws. A lot of simple jobs in every field have been replaced by computers. Everybody is charging full speed ahead, trying to be dynamic and innovative. And then Bushie's off in a corner watching 14 hours of sports.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #373 on: January 20, 2015, 07:43:17 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #374 on: January 20, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »

I've always lacked drive, determination, and follow through.

You should definitely include that statement on your resume.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies