Foods that people like but you can't stand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:54:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Foods that people like but you can't stand
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Foods that people like but you can't stand  (Read 9136 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »

I've done this before.  Keep it to non-exotic stuff...like Madeiline should not come in here to bitch about how much she hates pickled lizard tails cuz she tried it one time at grandpa Masosuki-san's house when she was in Japan one time.  (Sorry to pick on you, but you will understand)

For me... Olives and most fish.  Anything that is overly salty and bitter or has a fishy flavor.

I recently tried pimento stuffed olives that were high quality... Gross.  So gross.  Sour, bitter, with that pseudo metallic taste they give.

As for fish... I grew up dumping fish guts out of buckets on hot summer days at our resort.  Blech.  Thus I like canned tuna...but a thick tuna steak will oftem be too fishy for me.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »

Sushi. I feel kind of guilty about it, honestly.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:12:09 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2015, 10:15:45 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

Can I come in here to bitch about how I actually don't care for salmon? Like I said in the favorite fish thread, I can't put my finger on why, precisely, but it just feels off somehow. It's something about how heavy it is compared to other fish in combination with its vaguely sticky yet granular mouth-feel. Smoking it solves this problem, I'm not sure how exactly.

I agree with you about olives as just something to eat on their own. I don't get how people do that. I like them as ingredients in some things.

Sea urchin's also pretty gross, but I'm not sure if that counts as exotic or not.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:13:42 PM »

Sweet potatoes. Ugh.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:15:05 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2015, 10:16:39 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

This too. Actually a very similar problem to sea urchin: It's just way sweeter than something of its general type of food has any right to be.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:17:58 PM »

There are plenty of foods I don't like, but there are only a handful that most others like and that I won't touch.  These are the only ones I can think of:

Cotton candy
Olives
Cool-Whip
Anything super-exotic or super-spicy
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:18:10 PM »

Dont crucify me, but bacon
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:18:30 PM »

Can I come in here to bitch about how I actually don't care for salmon? Like I said in the favorite fish thread, I can't put my finger on why, precisely, but it just feels off somehow. It's something about how heavy it is compared to other fish in combination with its vaguely sticky yet granular mouth-feel. Smoking it solves this problem, I'm not sure how exactly.

I agree with you about olives as just something to eat on their own. I don't get how people do that. I like them as ingredients in some things.

Sea urchin's also pretty gross, but I'm not sure if that counts as exotic or not.
I was gonna use adamobawesomebiberg in that first post...but I don't think he's been anywhere that serves exotic food yet.

I agree salmon isn't good unless its in a hotdish with noodles and cream soup and peas.  Smoking any fish makes it much better.  I had smoked whitefish the other night that was quite good, if a bit bony.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 10:24:29 PM »

My mother is allergic to fructose and vomits when given chocolate, candy etc.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »

Most fish, oatmeal, mashed potatoes.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 10:45:40 PM »

Olives and bananas come to mind immediately. For many years I detested rye bread, but upon trying it a few months ago (for the first time in years) I realized it's not all that bad.

Many of the replies in this thread have me just shaking my head. How do you people not like fish?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 10:48:19 PM »

But on topic...

- As an Australian, I hate vegemite. But what's odd, is that I like salty foods and vegemite is very salty, yet, I hate it.
- Coriander/cilantro - I just seem to have that gene/enzyme that make it taste like detergent (when you have a food scene so heavily dominated by SE Asia... it's hard to avoid).
- I like bananas by themselves, but HATE them if mixed into other things, like a dessert.
- I quite like fresh sardines, when done properly, but tinned sardines... noooo
- Love tinned tuna, but tinned salmon is straight from the pits of hell  

And I live for olives and most fish/seafood...
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 11:00:51 PM »

Fish, almost all fruit. I really dislike most fruits, the only exceptions being apples, bananas, grapes, and pears. Anything of the citrus, melon, or berry families I can't stand.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »

Fish, almost all fruit. I really dislike most fruits, the only exceptions being apples, bananas, grapes, and pears. Anything of the citrus, melon, or berry families I can't stand.

I love pretty much all fruits and I just don't understand how people dislike fish. I tend to trace it back to some childhood trauma of a botched fish meal Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »

Eggs, sushi, most Chinese food (with the obvious exception of the chicken dishes that are slathered with honey or some other sauce, but that almost doesn't count as Chinese food), anything with beans
RR1997
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 11:11:41 PM »

Chocolate ice cream
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »

Ice cream: revolting in both taste and texture. Sweet milk products are generally gross.

Coffee is horrible.

Mayonnaise and ranch dressing.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sweet potatoes prepared as potatoes and not like pilgrim pudding are ok. Skin-on sweet potato fries are outstanding, especially with fish.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 11:15:35 PM »

I love pretty much all fruits and I just don't understand how people dislike fish. I tend to trace it back to some childhood trauma of a botched fish meal Tongue
If I get really sick from eating something...my taste buds never forget.

Gagging to the smell of rotting fish guts and getting sick at four years old from eating an entire can of black olives explain those things.

Other foods I didn't like as a kid but now like include mashed potatoes, most chicken, mushrooms, and tomatoes.

Mushrooms were an acquired taste.  Sauteed mushrooms in butter with a splash of Woucestershire sauce, a bit of good mustard, and a little beef boullion makes a fantastic side or topper for a good steak.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 11:16:33 PM »

I find peanut butter absolutely vile, worse than just about anything that people actually eat.

I also quite dislike raw tomatoes, though I like them fine cooked.

By contrast, I very much enjoy olives and fish.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 11:17:08 PM »

meat (whether from a land, air, or sea creature)
raw onions
sweet things mixed into non-sweet foods (like sweet salad dressing or dried cranberries in a salad)
raw garlic
pretty much any overly processed food (fast food, that factory-made bread you find in the grocery store not in the bakery area, frozen food other than vegetables, etc.)

Foods I don't like but can stand:
coffee
ketchup
apples
non-homegrown tomatoes
cake
carrots
canteloupe/honeydew
what Americans call "Swiss cheese"
most candy and other overly sweet things
ginger
mashed potatoes
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 11:18:54 PM »

All ice cream - that sh**t is disgusting and makes you fat. Cake and pie are in the same category. Brownies are aight tho.

New York style hot dogs - I don't see why anyone would consume one given that Chicago-style exists

White Castle - don't care how drunk I am; cannot stomach

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 11:19:51 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2015, 11:23:07 PM by traininthedistance »

Raw tomatoes are my Waterloo.  I've grown to like– and in many cases even love– a lot of the things I avoided as a kid (I've been recently getting into herring of all things, as well as all sorts of bitter greens), but that's the last frontier.

Other popular things I don't really care for or at least find way-overused: mayonnaise, ketchup, strawberries, caramel.  I also really don't like pickled jalapeños, despite liking both regular pickles as well as fresh jalapeños.  

But generally I'm not a picky eater.  I can enjoy most things.

Oh, god, I forgot that even existed (this probably makes me a horrible coastal elitist or something, but whatev).  Ranch is disgusting.

getting sick at four years old from eating an entire can of black olives explain those things.

I love olives (and they're definitely something it took some time to get to like), but the canned black stuff just isn't worth it.  They taste like can, not olive.  I'll go for olives in glass jars (whatever the color), or not at all.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 11:27:25 PM »

Fruit. All of it. Not a single exception I can recall.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 11:32:19 PM »

Raw tomatoes are my Waterloo.  I've grown to like– and in many cases even love– a lot of the things I avoided as a kid (I've been recently getting into herring of all things, as well as all sorts of bitter greens), but that's the last frontier.

Other popular things I don't really care for or at least find way-overused: mayonnaise, ketchup, strawberries, caramel.  I also really don't like pickled jalapeños, despite liking both regular pickles as well as fresh jalapeños. 

But generally I'm not a picky eater.  I can enjoy most things.

Oh, god, I forgot that even existed (this probably makes me a horrible coastal elitist or something, but whatev).  Ranch is disgusting.

getting sick at four years old from eating an entire can of black olives explain those things.

I love olives (and they're definitely something it took some time to get to like), but the canned black stuff just isn't worth it.  They taste like can, not olive.  I'll go for olives in glass jars (whatever the color), or not at all.
Right.  Unfortunately all olives taste like that can now.  Even high quality ones packed in olive oil with a garlic clove stuffed inside.  Its just a way to ruin garlic.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 11:33:03 PM »

PB&J and pretzels.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies