opebo Week: A Celebration of His Life & Times
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:17:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  opebo Week: A Celebration of His Life & Times
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: opebo Week: A Celebration of His Life & Times  (Read 9680 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »

I'm switching my avatar to I-MA (Dave's avatar) in memory/support of the banning.
FF
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »

Dave is sick in his head?  How disrespectful.  Sad
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 07:36:40 PM »

While Joe Republic is an exception to this, it's hilarious to see most of the Obepo haters attack his simple, if wrongheaded, defenses of child abuse, while they simultaneously literally worship at the alter of organizations that have systematically enganged in and covered up such behavior since time immemorial. Perhaps if we can simply buy Obepo a cassock, he will not only be reinstated but also have statues of him built so that future generations may know him also.

The clergy needs to be purged. The fact that the largest Christian denomination, for one, has yet to properly embark upon this mission is a disgrace. Many people happen not to have switches in their heads regulating their beliefs that they can simply turn on and off in response to that fact. Which is part of why the clergy needs so badly to be purged.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »

While Joe Republic is an exception to this, it's hilarious to see most of the Obepo haters attack his simple, if wrongheaded, defenses of child abuse, while they simultaneously literally worship at the alter of organizations that have systematically enganged in and covered up such behavior since time immemorial. Perhaps if we can simply buy Obepo a cassock, he will not only be reinstated but also have statues of him built so that future generations may know him also.

Umm... would you mind giving us an example of an 'Obepo hater' who worships said organization? Please do.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »

The clergy needs to be purged. The fact that the largest Christian denomination, for one, has yet to properly embark upon this mission is a disgrace. Many people happen not to have switches in their heads regulating their beliefs that they can simply turn on and off in response to that fact. Which is part of why the clergy needs so badly to be purged.

I'm a bit lost about the switch part.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2015, 09:02:38 PM »

What I meant was that we can't just choose to stop holding Christian beliefs as a response to the problems that Christian institutions have. We may lose faith as a response to those problems, but that isn't, typically, voluntary.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »

Memphis makes a hilariously bad analogy. Full story on B1.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »

What I meant was that we can't just choose to stop holding Christian beliefs as a response to the problems that Christian institutions have. We may lose faith as a response to those problems, but that isn't, typically, voluntary.

Oh, I agree completely. I was talking about this in regards to Catholic sexual ethics the other day. Although it's less a problem than an "issue".
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2015, 11:06:08 PM »

But I think this should at least put into perspective the mindset of people who claim they believe in Jesus but not organized religion, things like that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 11:07:36 PM »

People, please. If you insist on discussing religion in a thread dedicated to opebo's memory, I'm afraid we'll have to feed you all to the lions. It's what he would have wanted. Cry
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 11:19:23 PM »

So how about this? One of the first posts in Update, and oh damn definitely one of the best:

No, no, no.  If you are a poor, and you have a job at the Electric Company, you stay there, and say 'yes sir' and 'no sir, and just batten down the hatches and wait.  It will all be over soon enough.  No need to rush it by getting conned up the a**s by some Kiwi b******s and ending up living under a bridge.

Seriously, I know poors who work at the Power Company (true they're from the previous unionized generations so they made $70,000/year, but still), and they survived.  Every one of them - and they will get to die in hospitals with medical treatments.  Yes, Public Utilities are not government jobs, but they're the next best thing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »

So how about this? One of the first posts in Update, and oh damn definitely one of the best:

No, no, no.  If you are a poor, and you have a job at the Electric Company, you stay there, and say 'yes sir' and 'no sir, and just batten down the hatches and wait.  It will all be over soon enough.  No need to rush it by getting conned up the a**s by some Kiwi b******s and ending up living under a bridge.

Seriously, I know poors who work at the Power Company (true they're from the previous unionized generations so they made $70,000/year, but still), and they survived.  Every one of them - and they will get to die in hospitals with medical treatments.  Yes, Public Utilities are not government jobs, but they're the next best thing.

Yup, that's a classic. Basically the thesis statement of Update.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 03:09:17 AM »

Another thing I miss about opebo is the What have you eaten for dinner thread, which immediately self-destructed after our friend's untimely assassination. I loved reading about the food in Thailand. Here's a typical post of his in that thread.
I had a nice stir fry of pork liver and ginger, with a bit of onion and red hot chili peppers, served on a plate of rice..  also shared a large 'tom yum' - spicy - slightly sour - creamy soup with small pieces of squid, shrimp, and chicken, as well as mushrooms (and various herbs and flavor-imparting roots which are not really meant to be eaten).  My Thai professor friend had a fried rice with pork and broccoli, and I treated - total cost for the two of us with Coke to drink, 135 baht, about $4.50.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 06:12:28 AM »

Ever since he left this place is seeming more and more like Tumblr. The world would be a better place if there were more people like him.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »

Yes, I am smitten - entirely inappropriately (no, not a student) and quite baselessly, and I've done and will do nothing about it.  But it is an interesting feeling - hadn't felt it at all in years and years. 

That, and I had a bad dream last night - it was the 1990s (or anyway had aspects of that time) and I was surrounded by 'hipster friends' (or perhaps I should say hipster 'friends'), and I got a very disturbing phone call (on my current mobile phone, so it couldn't have been the 1990s) from someone whose mere voice frightened me terribly - I had a sense he was 'me' (which is a funny self-aware way of thinking in a dream), and he made no sense at all and sounded very very ill.  So, he showed up with an unmemorable face and fell down flat on his back on the floor, apparently at his last breath.

Despite my fear I looked closely at his face and noticed his mouth was stuffed with chess pieces.  I pulled it open wide and got the impression he was entirely stuffed with them.  My 90s hipster friends gave me some more to stuff in his mouth, but that didn't help - if anything, it made things worse.

At this point I got the feeling he was very dangerous, if he reawakened, so I started running, with the real feeling that he was getting up behind me.. I ran down an endless flight of stairs, made of stone and free-standing, so that I could swing myself around each corner - I worked up such a speed that I only touched foot to stair once per flight, and the rest of the time my legs were spinning free. 

Finally I reached the ground floor and it was a sort of ultra-cheap shopping mall, in the Thai style but not with Thai people.  I had to practically swim in and climb over the crowds of people there, most of who were carrying huge parcels of goods, which I clambered over.  I felt him very near behind me, though I didn't see him.  Finally I got outside and got into an ancient 1970s Pontiac rather like one I had a couple of decades ago, and began to drive off, but just as he appeared in the back seat to do.. lord knows what.. I was awakened by my alarm.

I suppose the dreaded being was my own past or my own denouement or both.  Or guilt.. or the sad reality of a loveless life.

Yup... Truly a monster...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 09:42:31 AM »

Another thing I miss about opebo is the What have you eaten for dinner thread, which immediately self-destructed after our friend's untimely assassination. I loved reading about the food in Thailand. Here's a typical post of his in that thread.
I had a nice stir fry of pork liver and ginger, with a bit of onion and red hot chili peppers, served on a plate of rice..  also shared a large 'tom yum' - spicy - slightly sour - creamy soup with small pieces of squid, shrimp, and chicken, as well as mushrooms (and various herbs and flavor-imparting roots which are not really meant to be eaten).  My Thai professor friend had a fried rice with pork and broccoli, and I treated - total cost for the two of us with Coke to drink, 135 baht, about $4.50.

Would you mind answering the question I posed earlier?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »

Is it just me, or is jmfcst making less and less sense with each post he makes?

Yep.  This thread is just spam.

I'm pretty sure its a reference to opebo's "choo choo train to theocracy" quote.

That was a priceless post, if I do say so myself.

However, keep in mind that choo choo trains are really all that jmfcst, the cultist, has talked about for months now.  Seems the prude is obsessed with phallic objects going into tunnels... perhaps sexual frustration has driven him round the bend.

Get it?  Round the bed.. choo choo trains?  heh.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »

I had a nice stir fry of pork liver and ginger, with a bit of onion and red hot chili peppers, served on a plate of rice..  also shared a large 'tom yum' - spicy - slightly sour - creamy soup with small pieces of squid, shrimp, and chicken, as well as mushrooms (and various herbs and flavor-imparting roots which are not really meant to be eaten).  My Thai professor friend had a fried rice with pork and broccoli, and I treated - total cost for the two of us with Coke to drink, 135 baht, about $4.50.

I prefer not to name names because this thread is about opebo, and not about his individual and collective detractors, but I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see one member of the type I described more or less admit the contradiction and concede that a Great Purge is in order. You'd have to be a complete fool not to be able to connect the dots between those who worship and those who attack opebo's memory. I'm hesistent to put words in another person's mouth, but perhaps their objection is that they feel that child abuse ought to be the exclusive domain of clergymen, as some sort of official sacrament or veneration.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »

I had a nice stir fry of pork liver and ginger, with a bit of onion and red hot chili peppers, served on a plate of rice..  also shared a large 'tom yum' - spicy - slightly sour - creamy soup with small pieces of squid, shrimp, and chicken, as well as mushrooms (and various herbs and flavor-imparting roots which are not really meant to be eaten).  My Thai professor friend had a fried rice with pork and broccoli, and I treated - total cost for the two of us with Coke to drink, 135 baht, about $4.50.

I prefer not to name names because this thread is about opebo, and not about his individual and collective detractors, but I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see one member of the type I described more or less admit the contradiction and concede that a Great Purge is in order. You'd have to be a complete fool not to be able to connect the dots between those who worship and those who attack opebo's memory. I'm hesistent to put words in another person's mouth, but perhaps their objection is that they feel that child abuse ought to be the exclusive domain of clergymen, as some sort of official sacrament or veneration.

Do you read the nonsense you write or do you just spew it?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »

Do you read the nonsense you write or do you just spew it?
So you're in the camp with Nathan that religious people are simply too simpleminded to be logically consistent? I was merely giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are not, but they merely view child abuse as a Religious Privilege. I suppose you two could just as easily be correct. Perhaps even a bit of each for certain folks.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »

So you're in the camp with Nathan that religious people are simply too simpleminded to be logically consistent? I was merely giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are not, but they merely view child abuse as a Religious Privilege. I suppose you two could just as easily be correct. Perhaps even a bit of each for certain folks.

When on earth did Nathan say that "religious people are simply too simpleminded to be logically consistent", I ask? It would be insulting himself so I'm legitimately curious.

Never mind the fact the Pope- the Pope himself- has essentially called for the Church to clean up its act and for the Curia to be overhauled, and here you are still insisting that practicing (or not practicing, as most of the people you are accusing do) Catholicism is somehow intrinsically the same thing as calling a pedophile "one of our brothers" and a "victim".

You, once again, have managed to derail a thread so that you can spew invective at the "religious dumbs" and prove to all your inherent superiority over them. Congratulations.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »

You, once again, have managed to derail a thread so that you can spew invective at the "religious dumbs" and prove to all your inherent superiority over them. Congratulations.

It's what opebo would have wanted! Cry

Now, please kindly feed yourself to a lion to further honor his memory.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2015, 01:22:26 PM »

When on earth did Nathan say that "religious people are simply too simpleminded to be logically consistent", I ask? It would be insulting himself so I'm legitimately curious.

Never mind the fact the Pope- the Pope himself- has essentially called for the Church to clean up its act and for the Curia to be overhauled, and here you are still insisting that practicing (or not practicing, as most of the people you are accusing do) Catholicism is somehow intrinsically the same thing as calling a pedophile "one of our brothers" and a "victim".

You, once again, have managed to derail a thread so that you can spew invective at the "religious dumbs" and prove to all your inherent superiority over them.  Congratulations.

To play Devil's Advocate here... Do religiouses NOT claim inherent superiority over not only atheists but the other "wrong" religions?  Maybe not all of them, but I have gotten even some of my closest friends to say that I am going to hell and their religosity puts them a few steps above me. 

By that standard, wouldn't it be hypocritical for a religious to berate an atheist for claiming their belief makes THEM superior?  If I didn't think my beliefs were "superior" in some form... Why would I hold them?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2015, 02:45:16 PM »

My position in this thread was that religious people mentally brush off the issue of sex abuse as if it were a small, trifling matter, while, at the same time, condemning in the harshest terms, a man who has merely expressed sympathy for the abuser. I maintain that this is a matter of Religious Privilege (only the clergy get the slap on the wrist, or as you put it a "call to clean up their act").  It was indeed Nathan who insisted that the issue was that.

"The clergy needs to be purged. The fact that the largest Christian denomination, for one, has yet to properly embark upon this mission is a disgrace. Many people happen not to have switches in their heads regulating their beliefs that they can simply turn on and off in response to that fact."

If you have an issue with that statement, you must go its author, who is not me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »

This thread keeps getting worse. That's quite an achievement considering the lows it started from.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies