Marco Rubio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:35:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Marco Rubio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Marco Rubio  (Read 4312 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »

Will he run again for senate or will he run for president?

Personally, I tend to think he will still run for president. 2016 is his only chance to be elected president I guess, and he doesn't seem to be really interested by the senate.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

He's young, has tons of cycles to be elected in, and won't run against both Bush and Cruz. He's staying put and will likely win a relatively easy race.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »

I say Democrats do have some candidates in store that could knock him out. Patrick Murphy looks good, but he's almost overshadowed by the performance of Gwen Graham, who could really give Rubio a run for his money.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 06:03:36 PM »

I say Democrats do have some candidates in store that could knock him out. Patrick Murphy looks good, but he's almost overshadowed by the performance of Gwen Graham, who could really give Rubio a run for his money.

I think Graham should worry about retaining her House seat, instead of running for higher office.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »

All indications are that Rubio is going to run for president. The question is whether or not he goes back on his pledge to not use the Senate as a "fallback option" in case his presidential run is unsuccessful. If he does go back on it, the ill fated presidential run could make him more vulnerable to a strong challenger.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »

I think Graham should worry about retaining her House seat, instead of running for higher office.

Tom Cotton hopped from his district after one term to run for Senate, I see no reason why Graham couldn't do the same in Florida.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »

Except Cotton was in a ruby-red district running against a weak incumbent in a R+14 state. Graham is in a swing district and would face much more formidable challengers.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 07:47:11 PM »

Except Cotton was in a ruby-red district running against a weak incumbent in a R+14 state. Graham is in a swing district and would face much more formidable challengers.

Fair enough, but Florida itself (basically an even state) is less red than her own district (which is R+6), so running for Senate might even be less of a challenge than running for re-election, especially since Rubio's ratings with his own state is pretty weak.

I think Murphy or someone of lesser quality is more likely, but it's an opportunity I don't think the Florida Dems can afford to miss.
HillaryLandslide2016
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 10:38:55 PM »

He's young, has tons of cycles to be elected in, and won't run against both Bush and Cruz. He's staying put and will likely win a relatively easy race.

Why do you think this race will be easy for him? Hillary's coattails could easily cost him reelection. If women and Blacks turn out for Hillary in record high numbers, I doubt many of them will vote for Rubio. I don't think he will be able to overcome the strong Democratic vote in Southern Florida that put Obama over the top there despite all the polls suggesting a Romney win.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »

Why do you think this race will be easy for him? Hillary's coattails could easily cost him reelection. If women and Blacks turn out for Hillary in record high numbers, I doubt many of them will vote for Rubio. I don't think he will be able to overcome the strong Democratic vote in Southern Florida that put Obama over the top there despite all the polls suggesting a Romney win.
Name a serious Democratic candidate who can beat Rubio. And DWS is not a good example.
HillaryLandslide2016
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 12:06:56 AM »

Name a serious Democratic candidate who can beat Rubio. And DWS is not a good example.

This is not about the right Democratic candidate. If Hillary runs: WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE who the GOP runs? Rubio will be toast if women get out to vote for Hillary.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 12:43:10 AM »

I can see Graham challenging him and getting very close, if not beating him (assuming at least a modest Clinton victory). Aside from Murphy, it'd be hard finding someone else to unseat Rubio if he runs
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 11:59:14 PM »

This is not about the right Democratic candidate. If Hillary runs: WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE who the GOP runs? Rubio will be toast if women get out to vote for Hillary.
Because PEOPLE WHO VOTE DON'T VOTE FOR THE SAME CANDIDATES all the time. Some PEOPLE MIGHT VOTE FOR RUBIO AND FOR HILLARY OR VICE VERSA IF THE OPPONENT IS DWS. Do you UNDERSTAND and what is it with you and the CAPS LOCK.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »

You should probably contact Senators Heitkamp, McCaskill, Tester, etc. about that statement.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 12:44:48 AM »

I would guess that Rubio is going to run for president. If he decides to go for re-election in the senate, he'd be favored, but far from guaranteed to win. I couldn't disagree with HL2016 more, candidate choice is of utmost importance. Just ask Senator Akin or Senator Mourdock, LOL.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 01:19:55 AM »

Just by looking at the Wiki page, it looks more likely that he's running for re-election tbh. For right now at least, he wants the media attention on him since a whole bunch of other Republicans are doing it to, but he'll ultimately give the green light to fellow immigration reform supporter Jeb Bush.

For one, Rubio already has the backing of the Club for Growth, the major fiscal conservative Tea Party group.

He can probably count on national support from the GOP and far-right if he runs for re-election (since Allen West in Florida is no more and there doesn't seem to be any other major primary opposition to him at the moment), but the same can't be said if he runs for President.

And primary aside, let's face it, he has a much better chance against a Florida Democratic Party candidate than he does against Hillary Clinton.

It would be much more logical for him to run for re-election.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »

If he doesn't focus on the Senate race 100% and instead runs for president or looks into running for president, he will most likely lose his Senate seat.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »

If he doesn't focus on the Senate race 100% and instead runs for president or looks into running for president, he will most likely lose his Senate seat.

Problem is Florida Dem bench is weak as hell. They've got two names they can run realistically, and even those names aren't shoe-ins.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »

I don't think he'll run for President, at least not if Jeb runs.  If he seeks reelection, he'll likely hold his Senate seat. 
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »

Rubio can probably run for FL Governor or try and return to the Senate in 2018, so giving up his Senate seat to run for President now may not be a huge deal for him. Though simply running for reelection is probably the safer bet.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 04:48:41 PM »

He'll run for another term as Senator now that it is becoming clearer that Jeb Bush will run for the presidential nomination.  And in all likelihood, he'll win given the weakness of Florida Democrats in general. 
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »

I'd say he is going to run for Senate, but he's done stupid things before.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 10:09:19 PM »

Apparently there's a "good chance" Murphy runs for Senate, regardless of what Rubio does.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 12:38:17 AM »

Apparently there's a "good chance" Murphy runs for Senate, regardless of what Rubio does.

That makes things interesting to me. Patrick Murphy performed very strongly in a decently Republican district in 2014 without airing a single negative ad on his own behalf. I think he has a strong chance of winning, particularly if the year goes in a more Democratic direction.,
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »

The 2016 Democratic wave is building!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies