Grimm's Fate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:15:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Grimm's Fate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What will happen to Michael Grimm?
Stay Put

Resign

Be Expelled

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Grimm's Fate  (Read 4083 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2014, 03:49:39 AM »

Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would resign willingly.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 04:18:41 AM »

Grim.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »

He will be thrown out of Office eventually, since Hilary, coming from NY, will come with great influence.

But, the voters will decide that, but surely a Democrat will be elected from this district come 2016.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 12:35:10 PM »

Stay put
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »

Resign after the new Congress is convened. Staten Island, however, probably doesn't care that much if he doesn't get jail time.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 01:30:58 PM »

Boehner will put the screws to him and he'll resign. A Republican will be elected to fill his seat in the special election.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 01:48:53 PM »

He will be thrown out of Office eventually, since Hilary, coming from NY, will come with great influence.

But, the voters will decide that, but surely a Democrat will be elected from this district come 2016.

OC,

WTF does Hillary have anything to do with this!?

But I digress...I voted for expelled if he doesn't resign willingly.

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 01:49:19 PM »

He'll break you in half, like a boy...
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »

Unless he is thrown in jail, he'll probably sit in that seat indefinitely. In Staten Island throwing people off balconies is a plus.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2014, 07:26:51 PM by pbrower2a »

For violating tax laws he has shown himself unfit to hold an elective office. It would be wise for Republicans in the House to expel him because the most that Republicans have to lose is one seat.  If Republicans fail to expel him then he becomes the poster boy for a Democratic House campaign in 2016 in perhaps a very different environment  -- one that could be a losing proposition.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »

Between the possibilities of getting sent to jail, resignation, retirement, expulsion, losing a primary, and losing the general, I'd be extremely shocked if he's still around for the 115th Congress.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »

He'll break you in half, like a boy...
Or send you over a balcony.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »

For violating tax laws he has shown himself unfit to hold an elective office. It would be wise for Republicans in the House to expel him because the most that Republicans have to lose is one seat.  If Republicans fail to expel him then he becomes the poster boy for a Democratic House campaign in 2016 in perhaps a very different environment  -- one that could be a losing proposition.

The odds of anyone caring about this in November 2016 are extremely low.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »

It would be hilarious if Staten Island just sent another Republican in his place.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »

It would be hilarious if Staten Island just sent another Republican in his place.

They will. It'll likely be Dan Donovan.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 07:46:37 AM »

For violating tax laws he has shown himself unfit to hold an elective office. It would be wise for Republicans in the House to expel him because the most that Republicans have to lose is one seat.  If Republicans fail to expel him then he becomes the poster boy for a Democratic House campaign in 2016 in perhaps a very different environment  -- one that could be a losing proposition.

How incompetent, extremist, and corrupt the GOP is perceived to be in 2016 will matter soon enough. If it can't oust someone convicted of tax fraud, the GOP could be in big trouble in 2016.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »
« Edited: December 26, 2014, 12:47:00 PM by Keystone Phil »

For violating tax laws he has shown himself unfit to hold an elective office. It would be wise for Republicans in the House to expel him because the most that Republicans have to lose is one seat.  If Republicans fail to expel him then he becomes the poster boy for a Democratic House campaign in 2016 in perhaps a very different environment  -- one that could be a losing proposition.

How incompetent, extremist, and corrupt the GOP is perceived to be in 2016 will matter soon enough. If it can't oust someone convicted of tax fraud, the GOP could be in big trouble in 2016.

This is absolutely priceless considering your party allegiance.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »

They will. It'll likely be Dan Donovan.

Normally I would be up in arms about how they couldn't send a man who let someone get away with killing someone to Congress, but this is Staten Island. I expect them to select the worst possible successor, and there's no better way than to give the most incompetent DA in the country a promotion.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »

I think he should resign, or be forced out. He lied to the public, about a crime he had committed.

It is worth noting that New York Democrats have no moral high ground here due to Charlie Rangel.

I don't know what'll happen to the seat. Dan Donovan would be a strong Republican candidate, but there is the trend in New York that elections that occur because someone was forced out due to ethics scandals tend to go to the other party. If he stuck around, he'd likely attract a strong Democratic opponent. But that shouldn't be part of anyone's calculus on this particular decision.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 01:02:08 PM »

Why does Staten Island have such latitude towards electing people with criminal records? Or seemingly turn a blind eye? I don't know much of the history of Staten Island so I can't speak to why this is happening - mafia or otherwise?

Grimm, arguably, should have never been re-elected, but won 55% of the vote.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »

A meeting with the Grimm Reaper.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 01:21:56 PM »

The GOP will likely keep the seat in a special election. No one has anything to lose from Grimm resigning but Grimm himself, I'm surprised Boehner isn't pushing harder to get the felon out of the caucus.
hopper
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »

I think he should resign, or be forced out. He lied to the public, about a crime he had committed.

It is worth noting that New York Democrats have no moral high ground here due to Charlie Rangel.

I don't know what'll happen to the seat. Dan Donovan would be a strong Republican candidate, but there is the trend in New York that elections that occur because someone was forced out due to ethics scandals tend to go to the other party. If he stuck around, he'd likely attract a strong Democratic opponent. But that shouldn't be part of anyone's calculus on this particular decision.
Yeah but Rangel was never indicted and never went to jail(hard to believe I am sticking up for Rangel here.)

Grimm should have resigned a couple years ago the guy is too much of a distraction to be in Congress with the ethics problems.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 01:59:08 PM »

The GOP will likely keep the seat in a special election. No one has anything to lose from Grimm resigning but Grimm himself, I'm surprised Boehner isn't pushing harder to get the felon out of the caucus.
I'm sure once the 114th Congress is gaveled in Boehner will talked to him. I don't think Boehner would want to talk to Grimm when Congress is on break.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »

Imagine if the Republicans did something that was actually significant to voters, like shutting down the government. Oh wait....
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies