Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:01:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Cop in Eric Garner's death not indicted  (Read 9255 times)
Maistre
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »

The 'choke hold' case.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-eric-garner-chokehold-death-not-indicted-article-1.2031841
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »

Horrifying. Absolutely horrifying. What a country we live in.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 02:51:57 PM »

Of course he wasn't.  This is America, where cops can kill people for no reason with no legal repercussions.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »

Kind of makes the whole "make cops wear body cameras" argument a bit toothless. I mean, this actually was on camera!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »

Another ham sandwich un-indicted.  Roll Eyes
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »

If you're black in this country, you better do your damnedest to follow every order the cops bark at you. If you don't they will kill you and face no legal repercussions for it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 03:14:22 PM »

Disgusting, they are all pigs.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »

Of course he wasn't Roll Eyes
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »

Ugh, loathsome decision. Another terrible day for the American justice system.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 03:35:07 PM »

If you're black in this country, you better do your damnedest to follow every order the cops bark at you. If you don't they will kill you and face no legal repercussions for it.

Haha, you think that'll protect them? That's cute.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFYTtgZAlE
^^
Guy pulls into gas station, gets out, cop pulls up. The cop tells him to get his license out, and literally as soon as he turns, the cop shoots him. Repeatedly. The guy is screaming that he's shot, the cop handcuffs him on the ground, and then goes about getting his ID from his wallet while the guy is bleeding from his leg. No cares, just another day of police brutality.

It's really great stuff. Really, just great.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »

I can't wait to hear Reaganfan's comments on this.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »

This really is troubling. Yeah, the whole cameras thing assumes that if they just murder someone they'll face repercussions. I guess not!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »

Hard to tell because of the editing in the video available via the link, but it appears that the cops initially tried to peaceably arrest him and he just plain failed to come peaceably.  Assuming that was the case, then unless it was explicitly against NYPD policy to use chokeholds, I can't see where there anything shown in that video that is actionable.  Might have been something that wasn't in that video that should have led to a charge, but without some other evidence, I can't fault the grand jury here, and I say that as someone who thinks both Wilson and the cops in the Cleveland case should be charged.

^^
Guy pulls into gas station, gets out, cop pulls up. The cop tells him to get his license out, and literally as soon as he turns, the cop shoots him. Repeatedly. The guy is screaming that he's shot, the cop handcuffs him on the ground, and then goes about getting his ID from his wallet while the guy is bleeding from his leg. No cares, just another day of police brutality.

Actually the cop in that case has been both fired from his job and has been charged with felony assault and battery "of a high and aggravated nature" and faces up to 20 years if convicted.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 03:50:18 PM »

The chokehold was banned in '93.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/24/nyregion/kelly-bans-choke-holds-by-officers.html
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 03:51:04 PM »

Hard to tell because of the editing in the video available via the link, but it appears that the cops initially tried to peaceably arrest him and he just plain failed to come peaceably.  Assuming that was the case, then unless it was explicitly against NYPD policy to use chokeholds, I can't see where there anything shown in that video that is actionable.  Might have been something that wasn't in that video that should have led to a charge, but without some other evidence, I can't fault the grand jury here, and I say that as someone who thinks both Wilson and the cops in the Cleveland case should be charged.

^^

Actually the cop in that case has been both fired from his job and has been charged with felony assault and battery "of a high and aggravated nature" and faces up to 20 years if convicted.

Chokehold has been banned since WELL before this officer was on the force.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »

The guy had it coming, you see.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 04:29:37 PM »

This is the most outrageous case I've ever seen.  HE HAD HIS HANDS IN THE AIR!!!
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 04:43:51 PM »

I don't think the boys meant to kill Eric Garner, but at the very least, this looks like negligent behavior by police which led to his death.  When you add their chokehold, their non-responsiveness to his cries for help and their failure to provide CPR or medical attention, that's at the very least a negligent homicide.  For crying out loud, this was a probable cause determination and there's a video. 

But, it's hardly surprising.  Staten Island is where cops live, these people on the grand jury likely have friends and family in the NYPD. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »

Absolutely disgusting.  Hopefully this cop will suffer somehow. 
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2014, 05:13:40 PM by Rockefeller GOP »

What a stupid comment.  If you can't see the horrific difference between this and the Ferguson case ... Well, you're stupid.  This is caught on camera and the cop is BLATANTLY guilty.  I disagreed with the Ferguson decision too, but it's moronic to lump people who defend this (no one I've seen yet...) and those who have doubts about the guilt of Officer Wilson together.  Come on.

As for the OP, wow this is disturbing.  That cop should VERY CLEARLY be criminally charged...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »

What a stupid comment.  If you can't see the horrific difference between this and the Ferguson case ... Well, you're stupid.  This is caught on camera and the cop is BLATANTLY guilty.  I disagreed with the Ferguson decision too, but it's moronic to lump people who defend this (no one I've seen yet...) and those who have doubts about the guilt of Officer Wilson together.  Come on.

I guarantee you that Reaganfan will find a way to defend the cop in this situation. He defended the cop who murdered that 12-year-old in Ohio.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »

What a stupid comment.  If you can't see the horrific difference between this and the Ferguson case ... Well, you're stupid.  This is caught on camera and the cop is BLATANTLY guilty.  I disagreed with the Ferguson decision too, but it's moronic to lump people who defend this (no one I've seen yet...) and those who have doubts about the guilt of Officer Wilson together.  Come on.

Uh... dude... if you're really not expecting Naso to side with the (white) cops on this...

Well, just wait.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 05:18:58 PM »

What a stupid comment.  If you can't see the horrific difference between this and the Ferguson case ... Well, you're stupid.  This is caught on camera and the cop is BLATANTLY guilty.  I disagreed with the Ferguson decision too, but it's moronic to lump people who defend this (no one I've seen yet...) and those who have doubts about the guilt of Officer Wilson together.  Come on.

As for the OP, wow this is disturbing.  That cop should VERY CLEARLY be criminally charged...

Gramps's comments wasn't based just off Naso (Reagan fan's) comments on Ferguson, but several years worth of his posting as it relates to cops's actions against minorities.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 05:24:07 PM »

Well, here is at least one thing where Greece is better than the mighty US of A: putting behind bars homicidal cops.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 06:05:04 PM »

This is really disgusting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies