IL 2016: Kirk is in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:43:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL 2016: Kirk is in
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: IL 2016: Kirk is in  (Read 4071 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »

Quite early, but I guess he is trying to remove all doubt before ILGOP starts thinking about recruiting.

It will be another interesting one in the Land of Lincoln, that's for sure. He's got a tough battle ahead.

http://abc7chicago.com/politics/us-sen-mark-kirk-to-run-for-re-election-in-2016-/382589/
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 12:57:58 PM »

He's going to have to fight pretty hard if he wants to get reelected.  Especially if You-Know-Who is on the ballot and has coattails.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »

Kirk's going to get Blanched.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »

Hopefully Democrats spare no expense in defeating him in a landslide. Don't let him define himself as a moderate; he's not. He's been Mitch McConnell's lapdog since his inauguration.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »

Best of luck to him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:10:15 PM »

Kirk is probably not going to have an easy time, but he's run in very competitive races before, he's not going to be a pushover.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »

Hopefully Democrats spare no expense in defeating him in a landslide. Don't let him define himself as a moderate; he's not. He's been Mitch McConnell's lapdog since his inauguration.

If Kirk isn't a moderate, then neither is any Democrat and they frankly don't exist.

I hope he wins, and though he'll have a tough battle, it won't be as easy of a Dem pickup as people think.  He'll likely win the collar counties.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 01:46:17 PM »

If Kirk isn't a moderate, then neither is any Democrat and they frankly don't exist.

That does seem to be the message that won Republicans the Senate, yes. Mark Pryor doesn't believe in evolution, opposes a minimum wage hike and votes against background checks; he was still cast as a liberal Obama Democrat.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »

That does seem to be the message that won Republicans the Senate, yes. Mark Pryor doesn't believe in evolution, opposes a minimum wage hike and votes against background checks; he was still cast as a liberal Obama Democrat.

And those were obviously dirty tactics, and Pryor is clearly a very moderate Democrat, just sad Kirk is a moderate Republican.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »

Exactly! I somewhat like Pryor. In fact, I like him more than Kirk.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »

And those were obviously dirty tactics, and Pryor is clearly a very moderate Democrat, just sad Kirk is a moderate Republican.

Has Kirk even done anything in the Senate to earn such a title? I haven't heard a word about him outside of suffering a stroke.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »

Somebody call Lisa Madigan!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 02:58:28 PM »

God I hope she doesn't chicken out again like in 2010.
Panda Express

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »

It is important that the Dems field a strong candidate here. Kirk won't go down that easily but he is beatable.
KCDem

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »

This. Revenge for Pryor and Blanche. Can't wait!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »

Yup, Kirk better get blanched. If red states are no longer willing to accept Democratic moderates, then vice versa needs to be true as well. Otherwise we're a permanent minority.
KCDem

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 05:03:07 PM »

Cue an avalanche of negative ads.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »

I don't know if Democrats will be able to take back the Senate in 2016, but Kirk is going down.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »

Yeah, the Kochs started destroying the images of Pryor, Landrieu, Hagan, etc. essentially the moment after the 2012 election. No time to rest, guys. Learn from their success. Get those SuperPACs going. Hammer Kirk for lying about his military record and being a Boehner/McConnell toady.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »

If I recall, the avalanche of ads against Pryor, Hagan, and Landrieu started in November 2013, right after the Obamacare rollout (and after the 2013 Gubernatorial Race in Virginia). I just remember in September/October 2013, Hagan was up by double-digits and at 51 against several Republicans, and within a month she was within the MOE against all of them.
PAK Man

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »

I don't see her running unless her father - State House Speaker Mike Madigan - steps down or retires.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »

Has Kirk even done anything in the Senate to earn such a title? I haven't heard a word about him outside of suffering a stroke.

I know he at least supports gay marriage and is pro-choice.  How many Democrats don't back gay marriage and are pro-life?
KCDem

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »

I know he at least supports gay marriage and is pro-choice.  How many Democrats don't back gay marriage and are pro-life?

Not many anymore. Those who were got Blanched!
JRP1994

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »

I will wholeheartedly endorse Mark Kirk for re-election.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »

Not many anymore. Those who were got Blanched!

In the Senate, just Manchin now. And you have McConnell trying to recruit him to switch caucuses.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies