Langevin (D-RI) challenged in primary over Pro-Life Stance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:44:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Langevin (D-RI) challenged in primary over Pro-Life Stance
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Langevin (D-RI) challenged in primary over Pro-Life Stance  (Read 4252 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2005, 02:37:50 PM »

From D.C. Political Report:
Pro-Choice Challenge: After his brief flirtation with running for the U.S. Senate was sidelined because of his Pro-Life position, U.S. Representative James R. Langevin (D-RI) faces a Democratic primary from a Pro-Choice candidate. Brown University assistant professor Jennifer L. Lawless (D-RI) announced that she is planning to run for Congress next year. Lawless says that she differs with Langevin on several issues, but particularly on the issue of abortion rights. That difference spurred her entry [sic] the race.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll be watching this one to see how sincere the Democrats are about not being a pack of raving leftist loons on abortion. Undecided
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »

It's a heavily Catholic district anyway
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 03:47:53 PM »

Pro-Choice Challenge: After his brief flirtation with running for the U.S. Senate was sidelined because of his Pro-Life position, U.S. Representative James R. Langevin (D-RI) faces a Democratic primary from a Pro-Choice candidate. Brown University assistant professor Jennifer L. Lawless (D-RI) announced that she is planning to run for Congress next year. Lawless says that she differs with Langevin on several issues, but particularly on the issue of abortion rights. That difference spurred her entry [sic] the race.
I'll be watching this one to see how sincere the Democrats are about not being a pack of raving leftist loons on abortion. Undecided

I hope Langevin wins.  It seriously irritates me when Democrats act as if pro-life people are not welcome.  If they'd tone down their rhetoric on gay marriage and accept the fact that a lot of people are pro-life, they'd have a much better chance.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 04:10:32 PM »

I hope Langevin wins.  It seriously irritates me when Democrats act as if pro-life people are not welcome.  If they'd tone down their rhetoric on gay marriage and accept the fact that a lot of people are pro-life, they'd have a much better chance.

Indeed, Gabu, indeed. Smiley

And Al, that's a pretty good sign, then. Cheesy
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 04:11:15 AM »

Methinks if Langevin (one of my favourite Congressmen, btw) loses the primary (which is unlikely unless there's a very low turnout) he'll run as an independent and switch back to the Democrats after he's re-elected... a congressman from Boston did something like that years ago IIRC.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 02:03:58 PM »

How ridiculous to claim a person is a 'loon' for advocating their position, and preferring not to have their party infiltrated by the religious.  One might as well call the theocrats in the Religious Party 'loons' for their desire to subjugate women.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 03:07:38 PM »

Lawless.

Interesting name for a would-be lawmaker.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 09:39:16 PM »

Lawless.

Interesting name for a would-be lawmaker.

There was a State Rep. (Dem turned Republican turned Dem turned who know's what right now) with the same name. He was crazy.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 09:59:23 PM »

I hope Langevin wins.  It seriously irritates me when Democrats act as if pro-life people are not welcome.

Republicans are even less tolerant of pro-choice people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 03:20:11 AM »

I hope Langevin wins.  It seriously irritates me when Democrats act as if pro-life people are not welcome.

For me they are unwelcome.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 09:56:25 AM »

IHas the Democratic Party become so devoid of any moral values whatsoever that they will not tolerate candidates who believe in the sanctity of life?   

The Democratic party IS pro-life. They advocate politicies like sex education, access to birth control, and helping to lower the rate of poverty. Policies like these lower the number of abortions without the government being able to control a woman's body.

The number of abortions was at a 24-year low at the end of Bill Clinton's second term. The number of abortions has gone up EVERY YEAR under President Bush. Tell me which party is pro-life?

The Republican "pro-life" agenda is a bunch of hypocrisy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 11:26:07 AM »

Yes, but you're not a real Democrat. Langevin is.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 12:55:40 PM »

There is a sign just to the east of Oklahoma City about 20 miles, in the west-bound lanes of I-40 coming out of Shawnee that so correctly says:

You call it ABORTION.  GOD calls it MURDER.

I agree 100% with the "pro-life" Republicans and Democrats on this one. Pro-Choice to me is being the same thing as Anti-Baby.  Contrary to popular belief, life begins at conception, thus the baby is technically 9 months old when he or she is born.  What feminists and pro-choice people would call nothing more than a fetus, God calls a BABY.  If we condemn first-degree murderers, we should not tolerate murderers of little, innocent babies.  I DO NOT advocate violence against abortion clinics or doctors or the mothers who practice the immoral act.  However, I do advocate educating those involved with the Bible and what God says about their decisions.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 01:33:16 PM »

Two wrongs don't make a right.  If Democrats welcome both and Republicans don't, it seems to me that people will like the Democrats more.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 01:44:49 PM »

There is a sign just to the east of Oklahoma City about 20 miles, in the west-bound lanes of I-40 coming out of Shawnee that so correctly says:

You call it ABORTION.  GOD calls it MURDER.

I agree 100% with the "pro-life" Republicans and Democrats on this one. Pro-Choice to me is being the same thing as Anti-Baby.  Contrary to popular belief, life begins at conception, thus the baby is technically 9 months old when he or she is born.  What feminists and pro-choice people would call nothing more than a fetus, God calls a BABY.  If we condemn first-degree murderers, we should not tolerate murderers of little, innocent babies.  I DO NOT advocate violence against abortion clinics or doctors or the mothers who practice the immoral act.  However, I do advocate educating those involved with the Bible and what God says about their decisions.

You aren't going to convince me to be pro-life by telling me what the bible says I should believe. I'm for or against something because I'm for or against something, not because God is.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 07:52:47 PM »

Two wrongs don't make a right.  If Democrats welcome both and Republicans don't, it seems to me that people will like the Democrats more.

Compare the 2000 and 2004 Democratic platforms. The Democrats specifically removed the bit about tolerating the views of pro-life Democrats. And the Republicans let pro-choice Reps speak at their convention.

So, Gabu is right and nclib is wrong. Tongue

Yes, but you're not a real Democrat. Langevin is.

Schwing! Al wins again. Grin

And if the rest of the Dem party adopts your position, opebo, they will lay claim to the title of 'Permanent Minority Party' for quite some time...
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 04:07:03 PM »

I have no problem with pro-choice people. I do have a problem with asswipes who insist on forcing their beliefs on the entire country by means of judicial activism (see: ACLU).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 08:34:21 PM »

To call the Democratic Party "Pro-Life" is laughable. In 2002, Daschle wouldn't allow a vote to ban partial birth abortions, a barbaric practice to say the very least. Clinton said he would veto the bill. This is nothing short of condoning baby killing. G W Bush signed the later bill, defending the life of the baby.

Education and fighting poverty are of course Republican goals and programs as well as Democrats. The Democrats do not have a monopoly on lowering the rate of poverty, as you imply.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like your point kso.  I have to agree the Democratic Party as a whole is generally not Pro-Life (Sen. Hillary Clinton (NY), Sen. John Kerry (MA) , Rep. Nancy Pelosi (CA)), however there are some individuals within the Democratic Party who are pro-life like Gov. Brad Henry (D-OK), Fmr. Rep. Brad Carson (CD2-OK).  On the flip side of the coin, the Republican Party as a whole is generally Pro-Life (Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS), Rep. Ernest Istook (CD5-OK), Pres. George W. Bush), and there are some individuals who are pro-choice like Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA) and Fmr. Myr. Rudy Guiliani (R-NYC).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 08:59:04 PM »

To call the Democratic Party "Pro-Life" is laughable. In 2002, Daschle wouldn't allow a vote to ban partial birth abortions, a barbaric practice to say the very least. Clinton said he would veto the bill. This is nothing short of condoning baby killing. G W Bush signed the later bill, defending the life of the baby.

Education and fighting poverty are of course Republican goals and programs as well as Democrats. The Democrats do not have a monopoly on lowering the rate of poverty, as you imply.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like your point kso.  I have to agree the Democratic Party as a whole is generally not Pro-Life (Sen. Hillary Clinton (NY), Sen. John Kerry (MA) , Rep. Nancy Pelosi (CA)), however there are some individuals within the Democratic Party who are pro-life like Gov. Brad Henry (D-OK), Fmr. Rep. Brad Carson (CD2-OK).  On the flip side of the coin, the Republican Party as a whole is generally Pro-Life (Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS), Rep. Ernest Istook (CD5-OK), Pres. George W. Bush), and there are some individuals who are pro-choice like Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA) and Fmr. Myr. Rudy Guiliani (R-NYC).

As far as the whole PBA thing, the reason many Dems were against it is it because it did not provide a provision for the health of the mother.   If it had the provision the bill would have passed with much more bi-partisan support.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 10:35:12 PM »

To call the Democratic Party "Pro-Life" is laughable.  In 2002, Daschle wouldn't allow a vote to ban partial birth abortions, a barbaric practice to say the very least.

Abortions went way down under President Clinton. Abortions have gone up every year under President Bush. As for PBA's, they rarely, if ever, happen. And like Smash said, the bill didn't contain a provision for the health of the mother.

Education and fighting poverty are of course Republican goals and programs as well as Democrats. 

You're kidding, right? Every Republican economic policy is designed to help the rich and hurt the poor. What Republican policy has helped reduce poverty? The number of those living in poverty has gone up by 14% or 15% since Bush took office in 2001. And "No Child Left Behind" has not even come close to solving the education problem in this country.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2005, 06:06:37 PM »

As far as the whole PBA thing, the reason many Dems were against it is it because it did not provide a provision for the health of the mother.   If it had the provision the bill would have passed with much more bi-partisan support.

Read the findings section.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies