OK, what happened in Maryland??? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:05:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OK, what happened in Maryland??? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OK, what happened in Maryland???  (Read 9548 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: November 06, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »

Out of all the results this Tuesday, MD-Gov is one of the two that feels like a personal gut-punch to me, not even so much because a Republican won but because of what interests he in particular stands up for (note his background as a sprawl developer) and why he won- in particular, opposition to the so-called "rain tax", which is nothing of the sort but is in fact one of the best policies that anyone has come up with anywhere in my lifetime.  The other, of course, being the gas tax referendum in Massachusetts, where science and common sense were also rejected in favor of Luntzian reaction.  (Seriously- if you're a non-blue avatar and you supported No on that, congrats on swallowing an elephantine load of transparent bullsh*t and [unwittingly, one would hope] doing the Devil's work.  Harsh words, but I need to vent, and this is one area where I do in fact have the expertise to do so.)

I'd almost be relatively okay with a dumbass #Benghazi!!!1! #OBOLA wave on other issues in other races– you win some you lose some–, but when even blue states like these are reacting violently to the tamest, best-supported, and most obviously necessary Pigouvian measures that attempt to secure a future for our infrastructure (both man-made and natural) and make people make recompense for just a tiny bit of the the externalities of their actions, I seriously weep for the future of America, and humanity as a whole.

It's almost like, WTF can I even do to make this world a better place.  How can we win while also remaining true to, well, the truth?  I guess we can't.  These results will be taken as a shot across the bow, and nothing will ever get better until it's too late, and probably not even then.  Urgh.

Go ahead, sage this, I really don't give a f**k.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:51:12 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2014, 12:30:05 PM by traininthedistance »

GGW thinks that Hogan can and will kill the Red Line but might have to let the Purple Line go through.  Fingers crossed that they're right and it's not just wishful thinking.

Obviously this is another reason (unstated but obvious) why MD-Gov was the absolute worst result of the night.  Good f**king gravy the prospect that these necessary things will be on the chopping block in favor of more counterproductive short-sighted dumb highway extensions makes me want to f**ing vomit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies