OK, what happened in Maryland??? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:28:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OK, what happened in Maryland??? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OK, what happened in Maryland???  (Read 9533 times)
warandwar
United States

« on: November 05, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
« edited: November 05, 2014, 02:53:01 PM by warandwar »

I know. Maryland is such a racist state ... except when they voted overwhelmingly for Obama twice.

Well, a white supremacist did just win a seat on the Anne Arundel County Council

I wouldn't call it a white racist silent majority, but a loud suburban white minority that Hogan tapped into. You can see this in the areas he did especially well in: Baltimore County, Harford County, Carroll County. A bunch of Ravens fans who hate that any money is spent on public transit and don't want to deal with the consequences of their bay runoff.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »

For reference, in 2010, O'Malley won with 1,045k votes; Ehrlich had 776k.  This year, Hogan won with 847k votes, while Brown had 771k.  Brown just did not turn out the big Democratic areas.

In PG in 2010, O'malley got 203,957 votes out of around 230,000
In PG in 2014, Brown has 174,005 votes out of around 200,000

In MoCo in 2010, O'Malley got 198,950 votes out of around 290,000
In MoCo in 2010, Brown has 151,515 votes out of around 245,000

And so on...
warandwar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »

If anything this will be a good wake up call to the Democratic establishment here in Maryland that they can't take things for granted. Luckily we still have huge margins in both bodies of the legislature and most of the other statewide offices.

Also its still up in the air if Hogan will support the Purple Line (Light rail from Bethesda to New Carrollton) which is supposed to be starting construction next year. If he kills it I'm gonna be pissed! 

http://wamu.org/news/14/11/05/would_larry_hogan_really_kill_the_purple_line_in_maryland

I'm not hopeful about either the Red Line or the Purple line.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »

If anything this will be a good wake up call to the Democratic establishment here in Maryland that they can't take things for granted. Luckily we still have huge margins in both bodies of the legislature and most of the other statewide offices.

Also its still up in the air if Hogan will support the Purple Line (Light rail from Bethesda to New Carrollton) which is supposed to be starting construction next year. If he kills it I'm gonna be pissed! 

http://wamu.org/news/14/11/05/would_larry_hogan_really_kill_the_purple_line_in_maryland

My guess is Hogan knows how hard it is to get re-elected as a Republican in Maryland and won't overstretch his boundaries, but I could be wrong.

I think there is very little overlap between Hogan voters and people who want the Purple Line and Red Line. Again, his votes came from rural Maryland and Baltimore suburbs.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »

The Democratic gubernatorial wave fell just a tad short in MD I suppose.

If democrats just stopped with campaigning on gun control they might of kept illinois and maryland.

I dont understand why they just keep giving the republicans free votes with such a loser issue.

No... MD Dems did not lose because of gun control it was more about taxes than anything.

http://www.wbaltv.com/politics/gun-control-forefront-of-maryland-governor-debate/29126656

Gun control really upset a lot of the few rural residents in maryland despite it being urban and a relatively small state.

Also O'malley's falling approval ratings didn't help at all and Anthony Brown made little efforts to differentiate himself from his boss.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/as-omalleys-approval-rating-falls-md-voters-not-confident-in-his-presidential-bid/2014/10/11/e48aebd2-5096-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html

I don't know if you realize, but the really rural parts of Maryland are pretty solidly Republican anyways. Gun control was only a major issue in the Republican primary campaign. It only came up in the context of Brown attacking Hogan for wanting lax regulations.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »

Any marylander's willing to tell us about the state your economy?

News articles told me that maryland has yet to create net jobs since 2008 and the "liberal tax hikes" enacted by O'Malley to please progressives and be a covert sh**tck to appeal to them in a possible run for the primary, might have upset many white democrats into voting for hogan.

The essential situation is that like nationwide, jobs are here but people aren't feeling the recovery, income wise. Taxes were seen as just taking away money (some of O'Malley's taxes were regressive).

You're forgetting about a certain event last year that rhymes with moverment mutdown
and calling them "O'malley's taxes" is ridiculous, considering the power the legislature has.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 08:15:18 PM »

This is a old thread, but it's hilarious to read many of the hysterical responses on this in hindsight, given how Hogan has consistently been among the nation's most popular Governors and has governed as a moderate pragmatist. Reading this, you'd think Hogan was a fire-breathing, extremist demagogue.
He is absolutely a demagogue. A smart and sophisticated one, but a demagogue. www.baltimoresun.com/citypaper/bcpnews-boss-hg-larry-hogan-has-baltimore-right-where-he-wants-it-20150707-story.html
warandwar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 07:52:24 AM »

This is a old thread, but it's hilarious to read many of the hysterical responses on this in hindsight, given how Hogan has consistently been among the nation's most popular Governors and has governed as a moderate pragmatist. Reading this, you'd think Hogan was a fire-breathing, extremist demagogue.
He is absolutely a demagogue. A smart and sophisticated one, but a demagogue. www.baltimoresun.com/citypaper/bcpnews-boss-hg-larry-hogan-has-baltimore-right-where-he-wants-it-20150707-story.html

I don't understand the point that you're trying to make here. Are you saying that Hogan's infrastructure policy shows that he's deliberately trying to undermine Maryland's minority communities? Considering that 82% of Democrats as of May 2020 approve of Hogan's performance, a higher number than he enjoys among Republicans (according to this poll: https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/05/26/may-gonzales-poll-hogan-trump-approval/), I don't think they would agree. You also seem to be implying that he tried to use his cancer diagnosis for his own political benefit-which I find to be a disturbing insinuation. But then again, there are always going to be partisans who will oppose political figures of the opposite orientation from them, regardless of how well such an individual has performed in office.
I know my home state. Some poll from the height of COVID does not prove your case one bit. Hogan ran a campaign based on suburban and exurban resentment - not just of Bmore, but of some MoCo suburbs as well. Then the Bmore Rebellion hit amd Hogan realized he could bring MoCo Democrats into the fold by sending in the troops and arresting all the scary Black Men. There are some who are still in jail. Afterwards, Hogan revealed his plans to help "heal" Baltimore - tearing down vacanr houses. You think people didn't get the message? That their land, their lives were worthless? C'mon!
Since then Hogan has spread lies after lies about Baltimore and about teachers. Many Maryland Democrats were too willing to go along with his trashing of a plan to adress the unbelieveable inequities in Maryland schooling. Not to mention he was very much an ally in the fights to keep MoCo and HoCo schools segregated. The spectre of Freddie Grey continues to shape Maryland politics, and Hogan is cunning enough to realize this...
warandwar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 11:35:44 AM »

And I suspect that you'd wish Martin O'Malley (who was unpopular by the time he left office and had numerous controversies of his own) were still your Governor.
LOL
warandwar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »

I don't understand the point that you're trying to make here. Are you saying that Hogan's infrastructure policy shows that he's deliberately trying to undermine Maryland's minority communities? Considering that 82% of Democrats as of May 2020 approve of Hogan's performance, a higher number than he enjoys among Republicans (according to this poll: https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/05/26/may-gonzales-poll-hogan-trump-approval/), I don't think they would agree. You also seem to be implying that he tried to use his cancer diagnosis for his own political benefit-which I find to be a disturbing insinuation. But then again, there are always going to be partisans who will oppose political figures of the opposite orientation from them, regardless of how well such an individual has performed in office.
I know my home state. Some poll from the height of COVID does not prove your case one bit. Hogan ran a campaign based on suburban and exurban resentment - not just of Bmore, but of some MoCo suburbs as well. Then the Bmore Rebellion hit amd Hogan realized he could bring MoCo Democrats into the fold by sending in the troops and arresting all the scary Black Men. There are some who are still in jail. Afterwards, Hogan revealed his plans to help "heal" Baltimore - tearing down vacanr houses. You think people didn't get the message? That their land, their lives were worthless? C'mon!
Since then Hogan has spread lies after lies about Baltimore and about teachers. Many Maryland Democrats were too willing to go along with his trashing of a plan to adress the unbelieveable inequities in Maryland schooling. Not to mention he was very much an ally in the fights to keep MoCo and HoCo schools segregated. The spectre of Freddie Grey continues to shape Maryland politics, and Hogan is cunning enough to realize this...

Hogan appeals to suburban voters----people like me. He'd match Christie's 2009 and 2013 record in Middlesex, NJ if he ran nationally in 2024.

I'd vote for Hogan in 2024 or 2028.

Hogan won MoCo and Harford County because of taxes.

O'Malley signed too many tax increases, that is why Brown lost in 2014 and why Jealous lost in 2018 and why O'Malley Democrats should be disbanded. O'Malley should be a Cabinet Secretary, he is not presidential material.

Hogan's MDGOP can win a third term and fourth in 2022 and 2028----Barry Glassman or J.B. Jennings---or Christian Miele.

Hogan should recruit someone to run against Van Hollen if he wants to be a figure in the 2020s.

Yes
Yes
Hogan lost MoCo
Taxes were big (and specifically taxes on impermeable surfaces - aka big suburban driveways), but Brown was a weak candidate. Jealous losing had nothing to do with taxes. O'Malley is not Cabinet material. His brain is barely material.

Not with any of those figures. Someone like Alan Kittleman would have a chance, but then again he lost big in 2018.

His best bet for a legacy is to attract enough Republucams to break the supermajority in the Leg. He has failed so far and the GOP did very poorly on the County Executive side, so seems like his coattails are limited.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies