why is dan malloy in trouble?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:48:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  why is dan malloy in trouble?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: why is dan malloy in trouble?  (Read 606 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »

he is one of the best governors in the nation, particularly concerning gun control and tobacco control.
KCDem

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »

Because rich spoiled brats like Freedomhack.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »

Because rich spoiled brats like Freedomhack.

i was going to blame it on right wing democrats.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »

Rich people don't like their taxes being raised so that the poor don't have to suffer.

I agree that Malloy has been one of the best governors in the country.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »

Terrible gun control, though upon further research I found the tax increase was actually like a "booster shot" to gain a balanced budget. I guess you call that the Clinton approach. But from a family of single issue voters, gun control does him in for me personally
Recalcuate

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

he is one of the best governors in the nation, particularly concerning gun control and tobacco control.

Gun control is a hot button issue that brings out the opposition as well.

But the real answer is that the election was close last time. This is a rematch. It also doesn't help that Malloy promised not to raise taxes and reneged. TV ads in the NYC area are hitting him pretty hard on that.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:50:36 PM »

What taxes were raised exactly?

And, to me, it seems like the gun laws will probably be left alone under Foley's tenure. He says he "doesn't like them" but refuses to go into detail, a classic politician way to say "I don't really give a crap". Also, even if he did desperately want them zipped, I highly doubt the Democratic legislature will bend over and say "oh, those bills we spent loads of political capital on last term? Sure! Here's a nice repeal bill".
njwes
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 02:42:07 PM »

A large part of it is likely that CT's economy hasn't been that great. For the most part that probably has nothing to do with Dan Malloy, but that's politics.
njwes
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

And, to me, it seems like the gun laws will probably be left alone under Foley's tenure. He says he "doesn't like them" but refuses to go into detail, a classic politician way to say "I don't really give a crap". Also, even if he did desperately want them zipped, I highly doubt the Democratic legislature will bend over and say "oh, those bills we spent loads of political capital on last term? Sure! Here's a nice repeal bill".

The Hartford Courant endorsement has some good details/overview.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that there would be a giant effective difference between a 2nd Malloy administration and a Foley one.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »

The Hartford Courant endorsement has some good details/overview.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that there would be a giant effective difference between a 2nd Malloy administration and a Foley one.

I'll admit this race is just picking between Coco Puffs and the store brand ripoff
Recalcuate

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »

I don't live in the state, so I can't really tell you.

The commercial simply claims that he promised not to raise taxes, but did.

It also goes into Connecticut's "bad" job creation record.

But again. 1) It's a rematch of 2010. 2) there are some economic factors at play. Both of those equals what appears to be a close race. Malloy probably has the edge in the last wave of polling.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies