Germany vs. France: which do you like more?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:44:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Germany vs. France: which do you like more?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
France

Germany

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Germany vs. France: which do you like more?  (Read 1597 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »

France, since its political system is waaaaaay more democratic than the German one.
In what way?

France has the direct election of their president (with a tenure limit!!!!), the majority voting system, an upper house with independent members, and first and foremost, they have national referenda. Plus, a pay raise for the members of the National Assembly won't become effective until the next legislative period (like in the US).
Furthermore, France (like the US) knows what separation of powers means: delegates can't be members of the government, and high officials like judges, prosecutors, prefects and marshals can't become delegates. 
All in all: France is a democracy, Germany is not.

You're an idiot.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »

France, since its political system is waaaaaay more democratic than the German one.
In what way?

France has the direct election of their president (with a tenure limit!!!!), the majority voting system, an upper house with independent members, and first and foremost, they have national referenda. Plus, a pay raise for the members of the National Assembly won't become effective until the next legislative period (like in the US).
Furthermore, France (like the US) knows what separation of powers means: delegates can't be members of the government, and high officials like judges, prosecutors, prefects and marshals can't become delegates. 
All in all: France is a democracy, Germany is not.

lol

What are you loling about?
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »

*sœur
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »

France.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »

You just conflated majoritarian electoral systems & presidential systems with democracy. Weird, given that all other of the most developed & highly functional democracies are parliamentary systems.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »

France is an overly centralised, poorly governed basketcase at present, but I'm far more of a Francophile than a Teuton-admirer

Germany I both prefer the German de-centralism and my experience with Germans on a personal level have been more positive than my experiences with the French (or rather to be fair with Parisians).

Never judge a nation on the inhabitants of its capital, they're almost inevitably elitist weirdos (and this is coming from a Londoner)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 01:29:36 AM »

I go with Hermann every time.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 05:50:12 AM »

I dislike Germany slightly less than France.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »

France is an overly centralised, poorly governed basketcase at present, but I'm far more of a Francophile than a Teuton-admirer

Germany I both prefer the German de-centralism and my experience with Germans on a personal level have been more positive than my experiences with the French (or rather to be fair with Parisians).

Never judge a nation on the inhabitants of its capital, they're almost inevitably elitist weirdos (and this is coming from a Londoner)

The inhabitants of a nations capital say a lot about the different European states even if people in capitals tend to be douchey than most people in a state, and in the French case it's not pretty (through I don't necessary have a worse impression of the French than the English or some other European states).

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »

My family is quite German in our ancestry, so this is an obvious answer for me.  Though I have had the incredible pleasure and good fortune to have been to France and St. Barths a few times (FWI), and I love French culture and French people.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies