CT-Gov, Sen: What's Blumenthal's end game?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:06:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CT-Gov, Sen: What's Blumenthal's end game?  (Read 1259 times)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2005, 02:08:13 PM »

from dailykos.com

by kos
Tue Apr 12th, 2005 at 20:57:27 PDT

Dem George Jepsen, former Senate majority leader, has started raising money for a run at the Attorney General's office.
Which means one thing for sure -- current Attorney General Richard Blumenthal has his eyes set elsewhere.

Blumenthal's intentions for 2006 are one of the unknown factors that will shape the next statewide election. Another, of course, is Republican Gov. M. Jodi Rell's plans.
With their high name recognition and approval ratings, both can afford to wait to begin raising money and organizing a campaign. A recent Quinnipiac University poll showed that Blumenthal and Rell would begin a gubernatorial contest almost evenly matched.

But some Democrats on the ground in Connecticut don't think the governor's race is a lock. While Blumenthal plays coy about when he's going to announce, there are those who think they can talk him into running for senate.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:47:12 PM »

Anybody who's been elected to statewide office could give Sen. Lieberman a run in a primary, what are some of his public statements (if any) concerning Lieberman or the "Dump Joe" movement?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 08:40:30 PM »

Blumenthal's been grooming himself for higher office for a long time.  He's a relentless self-promoter, and has held the Attorney General position for a long time.

He was effectively blocked from higher office by the popularity of Rowland, as well as the strength of Lieberman and Dodd within their own parties.

I haven't heard much about a serious challenge to Lieberman, but who knows?  Still, many of the state's voters aren't that liberal, and I find it hard to imagine Lieberman being dislodged at this point, unless he steps aside voluntarily.

Gov. Rell is very popular at this point, but of course that could change relatively quickly.  Surely, the Democrats will try to capitalize on her ties to Rowland, especially now that he is going to prison.  I think he is due to serve about a year, or maybe a little less.

Like in Massachusetts, Connecticut voters may show a propensity to elect Republican governors to balance Democratic legislatures.  We'll see.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 09:18:58 PM »

I'd be shocked if the "Dump Joe" movement succeeds.  It's one of those things that would be great for the Republican Party but bad for America.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 09:27:27 PM »

I'd be shocked if the "Dump Joe" movement succeeds.  It's one of those things that would be great for the Republican Party but bad for America.

A little-known political science professor from Fairfield University is taking on Lieberman, so it doesn't sound promising.

I will probably vote for Lieberman in 2006 unless he has a really good Republican opponent, which I don't think he will.  I will surely vote against a liberal Democrat if that comes to pass, just as I have always voted against Dodd (unfortunately, to no effect).

I intend to vote for a Republican for governor, whatever happens.  Hopefully, Gov. Rell will remain popular and agrees to run.  I shudder to think of the Democrats controlling both houses of the legislature and the governorship.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies