Election Night Guide (Long Post)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:26:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Election Night Guide (Long Post)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election Night Guide (Long Post)  (Read 1392 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2005, 04:52:47 AM »

Watching at home or abroad? Can't make sense of Election Night? Using 2001 declaration times, here's a wee guide to the wee hours to check how things are shaping up (Scottish seats which used to declare in droves early on are mostly missing due to boundary changes) Here we have a list of key seats (not all, 5 seats a minute can be declared during the 1am to 3am rush) Based on BBC data,  for simplicity's sake!

10.43pm GMT

Sunderland South: LAB
Always a race in Sunderland to see who declares first. No suprises here but may give a brief indication of Lib Dem support in urban areas. North East seats were quick to declare, Tynebridge, Houghton etc so it's worth watching.

12.23am

Portsmouth North: LAB
Conservative target. Need a 7% swing to take it, according to the BBC this swing if repeated would put them at 275 seats in a Hung Parliament. If it falls to the Conservatives, Labour's majority will be in trouble. Unlikely however, it should again give indication of trends.

Torbay: LIB
Also declaring at around this time. Lib Dems will hold it (majority of over 6000), but they may see their vote fall (or rise) The first seat in the Lib/Con battleground in the South East

12.31am

Crosby: LAB
No chance for the Tories here. They need an 11.5% swing to take it. 'If' they did however they would be heading towards a majority of 48. Watch it for that fact alone.

12.40am

Vale of Clywd: LAB
Conservatives need a 9% swing to take this Welsh seat. If it falls along with Portmsouth North it's not looking good for Labour. If both remain Labour then we are likely to see Labour back in power.

12.57am

Western Isles: LAB
One of those bizzare Labour seats. SNP target

12.58am

Yns Mon: LAB
Plaid Cymru target. Labour gained this seat from PC in 2001

1.00am

Birmingham Yardley: LAB
Lib Dem target. They need a 4.5% swing to dislodge Labour here. A swing like this nationwide would see the Liberal Democrats add up to 10 seats to their current total

1.04am

Pendle: LAB
Conservatives need a 5.5% swing to take this Lancashire seat from Labour. The BNP polled 5% here last time. If the Conservatives get this swing nationwide the Labour majority is cut to a small but comfortable 30

1.06am

East Renfrewshire: LAB
Conservatives need a 9.5% swing to take back the old Eastwood bastion of pre-1997

1.07am

Blaydon: LAB
Lib Dem target. Earlier results from the North East should allow us to take a good guess here. They need a big big swing of 11% to take it, but if they did they could well be on their way to 90 seats nationwide. The Lib Dems fate won't be sealed until the South West results come in later, where I have a feeling we will have a few recounts.

1.18am

Oldham East and Saddleworth: LAB
Likely Lib Dem gain on a swing of 3%. BNP came fourth here with 11% last time round.

By this time of the night in 2001 the Conservatives had only won 1 seat, Poole.

1.24am

Newbury: LIB
Conservatives need a 2.5% swing to take back this 'bypassed' seat (get it?..never mind Smiley ) from the Lib Dems.

1.27am

Sedgefield: LAB
Tony Blair's seat. Very safe. But his speech will be televised and is the first chance of the night to hear Blair's own thoughts on the results. Check for the body language!

1.34am

Dumfries and Galloway: Notional LAB
The Conservative marginal that is now a Labour marginal after boundary changes. Dead cert Tory gain, but will it just be their first of the night or one of many scalps?

For now i'm calling it a day. I may add more as we go along. Please add your comments and any seats I may have missed, I have a feeling i've missed a few 'pointers.' 

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 06:57:27 AM »

Rossendale and Darwen is a seat you might want to add. It's the seat which the Tories need to win if they're to deprive Labour of an overall majority.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 11:40:20 AM »

No suprises here but may give a brief indication of Lib Dem support in urban areas

No it won't. Sunderland is one of the very weakest parts in the U.K for the LibDems.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In theory. Problem is that that seat has a habit of producing huge swings (1983, 1997) and with Rapson's retirement all sorts of weirdness could happen...
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 02:14:47 PM »

These are UK times I assume, and the east coast is 4 (?) hours behind you guys?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 02:26:53 PM »

Yep, U.K times. I think your 5 hours behind.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »

Nice, I won't even have to stay up very late Smiley
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 04:11:53 PM »

By 'brief indication'(Sunderland South) Al, I meant brief. Come on. There are other seats that can do that, as we all know, but I mentioned it because it's the first seat, and urban one at that to declare.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 04:20:45 PM »

By 'brief indication'(Sunderland South) Al, I meant brief. Come on. There are other seats that can do that, as we all know, but I mentioned it because it's the first seat, and urban one at that to declare.

It's more a mix of working class suburbs, council estates and old pit villages.
Although I think Tyne Bridge (inner Newcastle and Gateshead) declares early though.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 05:20:49 PM »

Yep, U.K times. I think you’re 5 hours behind.
5 hours Standard time, but except for Hawaii, Arizona and parts of Indiana, we’re on Daylight Time now, so the east coast is 4 hours behind GMT right now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies