Good at predicting Senate elections? Care to make it interesting?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:33:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Good at predicting Senate elections? Care to make it interesting?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Good at predicting Senate elections? Care to make it interesting?  (Read 751 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:27 PM »

If you are among those with the highest number of correct predictions, you'll be entered to win one of five $100 Amazon.comŽ gift cards.

http://www.270towin.com/2014-senate-election/contest/

I think I'll wait to enter the contest until the day before, just so I can see the latest polling.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:56:08 PM »

I'm peeved that 270 to Win has basically done away with the old flash map for Senate races, and that they don't have a flash map for the Governor's races.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »

I did one.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:53:13 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2014, 08:55:38 PM by Brewer »

The only choice I'm truly iffy on is Alaska. Chose Begich in the end.

...and just received an email notification showing that I chose Tennant in WV. Whoops. XD
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:11:50 PM »

...and just received an email notification showing that I chose Tennant in WV. Whoops. XD
Well, at least if there's a massive upset in WV, you might be able to get 5 100$ Amazon gift cards.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »

What's the problem? Natalie Tennant will be the next Senator from West Virginia.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »

What's the problem? Natalie Tennant will be the next Senator from West Virginia.

You know, you're probably right. The real question is who, between her and Amanda Curtis, receives the largest winning margin?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 05:33:14 PM »

Here is another one:
http://electioncontest.cloudssi.com/cgi-bin/ciwweb.pl?studyname=election_contest&utm_source=Hours+Extended+Final+Reminder+-+2014+Beat+the+Pollsters+Contest&utm_campaign=Contest+2014&utm_medium=email&hid_pagenum=1&hid_link=1&hid_javascript=1
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »

This is a good measure of what people REALLY believe when the chips are down. People can "junk poll!" and "dominating!!" and "RIP__________" till the cows come home, but putting a non-negligable amount of cash on the line tends to focus talk away from "what if" turnout models and "awesome GOTV operations" to hard cold facts. Of course, the caveat about a fool and their money soon being parted applies.

Admittedly only winning a chance at $100 isn't quite the pressure as actual cash money on the line, but it's better than just bragging rights. Soooo....

I said Hagan and Sheehan will survive, and Republicans will win every other swing race. The second hardest decision I had to make was Alaska, as God only knows how accurate polling really is up there. But the hardest was actually KS. I actually regreted that selection after making it. So I clicked onto the link Shua provided and this time voted that Roberts would lose, and I now equally regret that choice. Tongue
KCDem

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »

Let's remember that Democrats have a tendency to sweep or split the tossup races:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/senate/2010_elections_senate_map.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/2012_elections_senate_map.html

Now let's take a look at 2014:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/2014_elections_senate_map.html
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »

This is a good measure of what people REALLY believe when the chips are down. People can "junk poll!" and "dominating!!" and "RIP__________" till the cows come home, but putting a non-negligable amount of cash on the line tends to focus talk away from "what if" turnout models and "awesome GOTV operations" to hard cold facts. Of course, the caveat about a fool and their money soon being parted applies.

Admittedly only winning a chance at $100 isn't quite the pressure as actual cash money on the line, but it's better than just bragging rights. Soooo....

I said Hagan and Sheehan will survive, and Republicans will win every other swing race. The second hardest decision I had to make was Alaska, as God only knows how accurate polling really is up there. But the hardest was actually KS. I actually regreted that selection after making it. So I clicked onto the link Shua provided and this time voted that Roberts would lose, and I now equally regret that choice. Tongue

Yeah, exactly. My naivety and denial regarding Democrats losing the Senate seemingly dissipates when faced with $1000. Tongue
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »

Yeah, exactly. My naivety and denial regarding Democrats losing the Senate seemingly dissipates when faced with $1000. Tongue

I predicted the same as Badger -- except I consistently chose Orman. Not that it matters in terms of the Republican caucus size
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies