Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:00:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61
Author Topic: Update for Everyone III - The Whinge Binge  (Read 170781 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: January 22, 2016, 01:04:02 PM »

I don't how to handle this--I'm really her only support in college at the moment, but I also don't know the first thing about how to support her, and I have a hard time spending time with my other friends since she sort expects to eat every meal with her, spend lots of free time with her, etc. I don't know what to do Sad

Have you considered trying to help her meet some new people? If you're looking to help her, that would be the best thing to do. You seem like a good friend, but at the same time, you can't always be a crutch for her at the expense of all other things important to you. You do have to look out for your own well-being, too. On the other hand, maybe she likes you instead of just being lonely?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1426 on: January 22, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »

Well, my political career in Hudson (have you all heard of Hudson?) has formally commenced. I have been appointed to the Zoning Board of Appeals. I emailed the new Mayor's aide expressing my interest, and 30 minutes later got a call from the Mayor appointing me. That was quick! Smiley
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1427 on: January 22, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »

Well, my political career in Hudson (have you all heard of Hudson?) has formally commenced. I have been appointed to the Zoning Board of Appeals. I emailed the new Mayor's aide expressing my interest, and 30 minutes later got a call from the Mayor appointing me. That was quick! Smiley

Congratulations Torie! Do you have future plans for higher offices? Also, how much are your rates for political favors? Grin
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1428 on: January 22, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »

Yay Torie! Cheesy
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1429 on: January 22, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2016, 02:10:51 PM by Torie »

Congratulations Torie! Do you have future plans for higher offices? Also, how much are your rates for political favors? Grin

Thank you Virginia. The answer to your first question is yes, and the answer to your second question, is that I am not yet sufficiently acclimated to NY politics to have prepared a price list yet. Smiley

PS: Thanks too to darthebearnc, who so often takes it on the chin for me, misguided masochist that he is.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1430 on: January 22, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »

Congratulations, Torie!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1431 on: January 22, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »

Mazel Tov, Torie!
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #1432 on: January 22, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »

My fiancee and I have set our wedding date for May 16th of this year. We're going to have a wedding done traditionally in my culture, but we're going to mix it up for her and her family as well.

Also today I learned if I don't vote for Bernie, I'm going to be rounded up by Trump and be thrown into the ovens....yes some hardcore Sandernistas are saying this...

Congrats!

I skipped going to the gym today, so I decided to go for a run around town to get at least some physical activity in for the day. Well it being January in Illinois there's a thing called ice which I totally let slip in my mind. So as I'm rounding the second to last corner, just houses away from my home, my feet slip out from underneath me and next thing I know I'm on the asphalt. I could immediately feel stinging in my hand and elbow, but I got up and jogged back home.

In the light and warmth of home, I see that I took a huge chunk of skin out of my finger, scraped up my elbow, scraped up my knee pretty bad, and to top it off, I ripped the most comfortable pair of sweatpants I've ever known.

...I'm sure if anyone saw it was probably the highlight of their day, however.

Today's lesson kids: don't run in January... especially in the dark.

Ouch! Hope it all heals up soon!

Thanks!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1433 on: January 22, 2016, 08:20:44 PM »

Local jewelry store was going to have someone in tomorrow with a bunch of extra stones for making special rings, but the weather put the kibosh on that, and it won't be rescheduled until April, well after Valentine's Day, so they may well have lost a sale as I'm not waiting that long.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1434 on: January 22, 2016, 08:28:35 PM »

Next stop: Mayor Torie!

But seriously though, Mayor Torie. Even your critics should support this.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1435 on: January 22, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »

My appointment to the plan commission in 1991 was about that quick. Look what happened to me. Wink Congrats.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1436 on: January 23, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »

In New York...during a winter storm.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1437 on: January 23, 2016, 12:40:02 PM »

Went to an L.A. Phil concert last night. They played a piece by this guy Halffter that kind of reminded me of Vangelis' score of Blade Runner for some reason, which was cool. There was a Brahms piano concerto, which was 48 minutes of Brahms (need I say more?). It finished up nicely, though, with Dvorak's Eighth Symphony. Probably my fave romantic composer, esp. the New World Symphony.

Congrats, Torie! Best of luck!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1438 on: January 23, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »

Congratulations Torie!
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1439 on: January 23, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »

I don't how to handle this--I'm really her only support in college at the moment, but I also don't know the first thing about how to support her, and I have a hard time spending time with my other friends since she sort expects to eat every meal with her, spend lots of free time with her, etc. I don't know what to do Sad

Have you considered trying to help her meet some new people? If you're looking to help her, that would be the best thing to do. You seem like a good friend, but at the same time, you can't always be a crutch for her at the expense of all other things important to you. You do have to look out for your own well-being, too. On the other hand, maybe she likes you instead of just being lonely?

I don't think she likes me; I'm gay and she knows that.

Which sort of leads to the other concern I have; she's very different than my main group of friends but since they all live in the same dorm she's started inviting herself along to our get-togethers...but she doesn't ever say anything in the conversations and I sort of get stressed out about her because it seems like she's not having fun. Last night, for instance, she tagged along to some cooking that my friends were doing, and just sat at the table without talking. It makes me feel like I'm responsible for her. After a while in their, some of my other friends decided to go watch this tv show we've been binging and I went with, but I was anxious the whole time because she had stayed back.

I just don't really think that she'd really be comfortable around that friend group; I'm sure the only reason she was there was because I was. It's just stressful to have her constantly wanting to spend time with me; she's texted me twice today wanting to hang out, and texted me 4 times yesterday--the only reason there weren't more was because she came to cooking.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1440 on: January 23, 2016, 02:48:10 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2016, 02:51:12 PM by Virginia »

I don't think she likes me; I'm gay and she knows that.

Which sort of leads to the other concern I have; she's very different than my main group of friends but since they all live in the same dorm she's started inviting herself along to our get-togethers...but she doesn't ever say anything in the conversations and I sort of get stressed out about her because it seems like she's not having fun. Last night, for instance, she tagged along to some cooking that my friends were doing, and just sat at the table without talking. It makes me feel like I'm responsible for her. After a while in their, some of my other friends decided to go watch this tv show we've been binging and I went with, but I was anxious the whole time because she had stayed back.

I just don't really think that she'd really be comfortable around that friend group; I'm sure the only reason she was there was because I was. It's just stressful to have her constantly wanting to spend time with me; she's texted me twice today wanting to hang out, and texted me 4 times yesterday--the only reason there weren't more was because she came to cooking.

Oh I didn't know that. Honestly, she sounds really shy at the very least. You could try and set her up with someone for a date as well.  However, I must say, sometimes there is not a solution that you can bring about. Ultimately, she has to figure out what she wants and make the effort herself. I'd say that as a friend, you should be there for her, and try to help when you can, but to not put the full weight of her issue on your back. There is only so much you can do, and it seems like you really care and have been trying, so that does count.

I can sympathize with being shy like that. I remember being in very similar situations in HS like you said with her at the table just kind of not talking. Though I was just anxious and insecure, she could be the same or simply not find anything interesting about them. But I knew my problem (I was pretty chubby and had very little confidence), so that had a relatively straightforward fix. I'm not sure what her issue is. She really should try and find out exactly what it is and how to work through it. Seeing a therapist or such may help with that.

But, like I said, she has to be making real efforts or else nothing will change. You can't help her with this kind of issue all on your own.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1441 on: January 23, 2016, 10:19:25 PM »

Today Rubio's campaign emailed me about how he met an atheist

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1442 on: January 23, 2016, 10:26:15 PM »

Today Rubio's campaign emailed me about how he met an atheist

I was once asked if I support same-sex marriage on ISideWith. The Hillary Clinton campaign felt like I would enjoy getting emails from them because I pressed "Yes".
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1443 on: January 24, 2016, 03:39:41 PM »

You might be a band nerd if you find yourself casually pointing out the difference between the Jaws theme and the Dvorak symphony John Williams ripped it from while watching Glee Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1444 on: January 25, 2016, 03:19:43 AM »

I'm beginning to reconsider presenting myself as transgender/a woman, primarily for religious reasons.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1445 on: January 25, 2016, 03:21:19 AM »

I'm beginning to reconsider presenting myself as transgender/a woman, primarily for religious reasons.

Interesting....do you mind elucidating on that? 
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1446 on: January 25, 2016, 08:38:50 AM »

Interesting....do you mind elucidating on that? 
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1447 on: January 25, 2016, 09:54:02 AM »

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1448 on: January 25, 2016, 09:58:36 AM »

There was a major fire at where our future mosque will be in town, police are investigating it as a possible hate crime.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1449 on: January 25, 2016, 11:52:59 AM »

There was a major fire at where our future mosque will be in town, police are investigating it as a possible hate crime.

Yikes! Hopefully no one was hurt, and everything gets fixed up quickly. Stay safe.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies