Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:57:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 306118 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: October 11, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »

Decentralisation of Currency Act

The Senate recognises that the Dollar is the sole legal tender of the Republic of Atlasia.

Section 1.

The Senate grants to all commercial and retail banks headquartered in Atlasia the right to issue promissory bank notes.

Section 2

a. It shall be lawful for every such bank to issue it's own bank notes to the extent of the amount certified by the Treasury to be held in that banks reserve, but not to any further extent; and it shall not be lawful for any bank to make or issue bank notes without certification from the Treasury.
b. Certification of the reserve of each bank shall be conducted on the 15th of each month by the Treasury.
c. All currency notes issued under this Act shall, for the purpose of the enactments relating to bank notes and the issue thereof be deemed to be bank notes, and the bank shall be liable in respect thereof accordingly.
d. All issued banknotes shall be deemed to be acceptable and exchangeable tender throughout the Republic of Atlasia.

Section 3

a. If any two or more banks have by written contract or agreement become united subsequently to the passing of this Act, it shall be lawful for the Treasury, to certify the aggregate of the amount of bank notes which such separate banks were previously authorized to issue under the separate certificates previously granted to them, and be deemed to be the limit of the amount of bank notes which such united bank may have in circulation.
b. It shall be the responsibility of the united bank to withdraw and replace the notes of the predecessor banks from circulation.

What does this do and why is it needed, Afleitch?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1276 on: October 11, 2009, 05:34:04 PM »

The Strategic Registration Amendment

1. Article V, Section 2, Clause 7 is hereby amended to read: "Persons may only change their State of registration once every 180 days."

I strongly support this legislation.

Yes, I urge all Senators to vote in favor of this amendment. Perhaps an exception should be included for moves in real life.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1277 on: October 11, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »

What does this do and why is it needed, Afleitch?

It allows banks to print currency and decentralises currency. It also has the added effects of allowing the Treasure to know exactly how 'kosher' the banks are. It echoes the system that's been operating in Scotland for the past 300 years.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1278 on: October 11, 2009, 05:39:39 PM »

I'll take a pass on that one, Afleitch.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1279 on: October 11, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »

It's not everyones cup of tea...though it does unite all parties this side of the Atlantic Grin
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1280 on: October 11, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »

1. Article V, Section 2, Clause 7 is hereby amended to read: "Persons may only change their State of registration once every 180 days."

Yes, I urge all Senators to vote in favor of this amendment. Perhaps an exception should be included for moves in real life.

Is that really enforceable though? Unless you mean by matching IP addresses to locations.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1281 on: October 11, 2009, 06:05:52 PM »

It's not everyones cup of tea...though it does unite all parties this side of the Atlantic Grin

I think I'll take a pass on that one as well.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1282 on: October 11, 2009, 06:10:26 PM »

Is that really enforceable though? Unless you mean by matching IP addresses to locations.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1283 on: October 11, 2009, 06:19:32 PM »

The moderators would love that amendment....
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1284 on: October 11, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »

The moderators would love that amendment....

180 is too long. I'd cut it to 90. The benefits of 90 is that you can't switch cycles every single time. 90 days means that you'll be spending up to 2 election cycles in that particular region.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1285 on: October 11, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »

I'm happy with a harsh limit. However I think we could insert an amendment that allows the SoFA to exercise discretion to allow a switch before then if the voter has a legitimate reason in order to do so. There may be an appeal for someone to fill an office, but there is a lack of candidates in that region so someone moves at the Governors request for example. That has happened in the past.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1286 on: October 11, 2009, 06:39:23 PM »

Yes, the stricter the limit the better.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1287 on: October 11, 2009, 06:40:34 PM »

I'm happy with a harsh limit. However I think we could insert an amendment that allows the SoFA to exercise discretion to allow a switch before then if the voter has a legitimate reason in order to do so. There may be an appeal for someone to fill an office, but there is a lack of candidates in that region so someone moves at the Governors request for example. That has happened in the past.

That just happened in the Midwest.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1288 on: October 11, 2009, 06:41:22 PM »

The 180 day limit has my support. I'd rather not lower it.

I can open debate on this once we get some bills signed by the President. The inability to edit the thread titles make it difficult for Lief to know what's passed or not.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1289 on: October 11, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »

Perhaps the Governor could file a formal request for a candidate with the SoFA. Then the SoFA would be required to approve the first three or so non-officeholders who offer to move there. It could use some tweaking, but such a system should be set up so as to not allow partisan abuse on the part of an unscrupulous SoFA.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1290 on: October 17, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »

If I may suggest an idea:

Private Prison Bill

1. No federal money may be distributed to any privately owned and operated prisons.

This should probably be part of a larger-scale prison reform package, though I don't know how much can be done at the federal level.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1291 on: October 19, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »

If I may suggest an idea:

Private Prison Bill

1. No federal money may be distributed to any privately owned and operated prisons.

This should probably be part of a larger-scale prison reform package, though I don't know how much can be done at the federal level.

I'll introduce it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #1292 on: October 19, 2009, 07:51:27 PM »

Thank you Senator. Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1293 on: October 21, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »

Vice-Presidential Election Amendment

The election to the office of Vice-President shall be a distinct and seperate election from that of the President, although the elections for both offices will occur simultaneously.
If this makes sense, on regional levels (Governor/Lt. Governor) I think the system should be with the Governor and Lt. Governor on the same ticket. On the national level, I'm pretty torn on this bill. I really like this idea, but what would it do? I'll have to see both arguements before deciding.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1294 on: October 21, 2009, 06:23:30 PM »

Vice-Presidential Election Amendment

The election to the office of Vice-President shall be a distinct and seperate election from that of the President, although the elections for both offices will occur simultaneously.
If this makes sense, on regional levels (Governor/Lt. Governor) I think the system should be with the Governor and Lt. Governor on the same ticket. On the national level, I'm pretty torn on this bill. I really like this idea, but what would it do? I'll have to see both arguements before deciding.

This could be a very interesting move and could especially help create a stronger VP, as well as greater competition.

Of course, there are also some arguments against this, so it's all about which side's evidence has the greater weight. Definitely a good way to create a discussion though, so in that I applaud Senator Fritz.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1295 on: October 21, 2009, 06:25:06 PM »

I think I fall on the ticket side of things.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1296 on: October 21, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »

Tickets are nice because of the possibility for odd unity tickets, like Keystone Phil/Ebowed. There'd be little impetus to do anything other than support your own party for both President & Vice-President if they were elected separately.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #1297 on: October 26, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »

The bill that was just submitted by Tmth was under my directive and I hope it is what everyone thinks is needed for the situation in Somalia.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1298 on: October 26, 2009, 07:38:48 PM »

The bill that was just submitted by Tmth was under my directive and I hope it is what everyone thinks is needed for the situation in Somalia.

It seems reasonable.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #1299 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:31 PM »

It seems reasonable.

I tried to be sure I did'nt include to many of my war hawk stances Wink
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies