Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:26:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 308640 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: September 27, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »

I think the easiest way to get rid of zombies is to tighten the number of national-level votes one may miss before being removed from the voter rolls. You could also not allow new members to vote in the first national election following their registration.

This would force people to remain at least remain somewhat interested for two months or more.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1226 on: September 27, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »

Not a bad idea Sen. RowanBrandon. 6 months might be a bit long, but some such time requirement seems reasonable to me.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1227 on: September 27, 2009, 04:44:32 PM »

This needs to be a constitutional amendment, by the way.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1228 on: September 27, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »

I would support the legislation if the time is reduced.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1229 on: September 27, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »

1 month?

IMO, it's still too long; I registered very soon after I joined.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1230 on: September 27, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »

1 month?

IMO, it's still too long; I registered very soon after I joined.

As did I, though I only checked it out because you suggested that I should.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1231 on: September 28, 2009, 10:17:05 AM »

I'd be willing to accept something like 2 weeks, but even that I'm kind of uncomfortable with.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1232 on: September 28, 2009, 05:19:25 PM »

I'd be willing to accept something like 2 weeks, but even that I'm kind of uncomfortable with.

It's actually two weeks (or perhaps 15 days, I'm not sure which one) currently.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1233 on: September 28, 2009, 05:21:01 PM »

It's actually two weeks (or perhaps 15 days, I'm not sure which one) currently.

In that case....I'm happy with the status quo.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1234 on: September 28, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »

2. Each account must be at least 15 days old before registering to vote.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Twenty_seventh_Amendment_to_the_Second_Constitution
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1235 on: September 30, 2009, 12:51:53 AM »

That Amendment looks more and more stupid every time I look at it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1236 on: September 30, 2009, 01:31:27 PM »

I love the idea, though I think six months is a bit too long. Two or three? I also like PS's ideas.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1237 on: September 30, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »

I love the idea, though I think six months is a bit too long. Two or three? I also like PS's ideas.

Yeah six months is probably too long. I'd compromise a shorter amount. I just wanted to get the idea out there.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1238 on: September 30, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »

This needs to be a constitutional amendment, by the way.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1239 on: September 30, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »

Proud to have cast my vote against it
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1240 on: September 30, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »

I consider it one of my greatest accomplishments.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1241 on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:49 PM »

Ok, I'm very busy. I got the new bills on and will deal with other things such as votes, etc. tomorrow sometime. Thank you.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1242 on: October 02, 2009, 10:55:31 PM »

You have done nothing to aid our banking industry. The stock market has been moving downward consistently for a month now. Do something!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1243 on: October 02, 2009, 10:59:59 PM »

God (I mean, Purple State) has been straining my suspension of disbelief for awhile. He either doesn't care about the differences between Atlasia and the United States or he hasn't cared to look up the changes we've made in the past. (Such as repealing Gramm-Leach-Bliley, or implementing the ability for the President to save individual banks when necessary.) And, of course, as Meeker said "We are not as stupid as George Bush."

As such, I'm stepping back on this one and letting his pretend apocalypse play out.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #1244 on: October 02, 2009, 11:02:27 PM »

Just to get yelled at:

Troubled Asset Relief Program Bill

1. The Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) is hereby established.
2. $600 billion will be available to failing banks and other corporations vital to the continued function of the Atlasian and global economies, and to be used by the Atlasian government to buy out liquidated assets at an inflated price.
3. $350 billion for this program will be available immediately upon the fulfillment of the drawing up of the next section's guidelines, while the second installment of $250 billion will be available no sooner than a month from the passage of this act and only with Senatorial approval.
4. Guidelines to determine eligibility for TARP will be established by the President, in his role as acting Secretary of the Treasury, and the Secretary of Internal Affairs, after consultation with the Game Moderator.

In theory, the mere introduction of this legislation will cause a temporary spike in the stock market. Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1245 on: October 03, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »

Just to get yelled at:

2. $600 billion will be available to failing banks and other corporations vital to the continued function of the Atlasian and global economies, and to be used by the Atlasian government to buy out liquidated assets at an inflated price.
3. $350 billion for this program will be available immediately upon the fulfillment of the drawing up of the next section's guidelines, while the second installment of $250 billion will be available no sooner than a month from the passage of this act and only with Senatorial approval.
4. Guidelines to determine eligibility for TARP will be established by the President, in his role as acting Secretary of the Treasury, and the Secretary of Internal Affairs, after consultation with the Game Moderator.

In theory, the mere introduction of this legislation will cause a temporary spike in the stock market. Tongue

Just introduce it, table it after market hours, then reintroduce it in the morning everyday into infinity. Problem solved Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1246 on: October 03, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »

God (I mean, Purple State) has been straining my suspension of disbelief for awhile. He either doesn't care about the differences between Atlasia and the United States or he hasn't cared to look up the changes we've made in the past. (Such as repealing Gramm-Leach-Bliley, or implementing the ability for the President to save individual banks when necessary.) And, of course, as Meeker said "We are not as stupid as George Bush."

As such, I'm stepping back on this one and letting his pretend apocalypse play out.

Roll Eyes

1. The difference started to late and wasn't substantial enough to do what you claim it would

2. Grahm-Leach-Bliley wasn't repealed till late last year, by then the damage was done.

3. Maybe you should accept that there was nothing Bush could have done beyond enforcment of what was on the books which would have barely dented the problems. When he tried to get new laws for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac a coalition of Senators from both parties led by Chris Dodd shot him done. As Paul Volcker recently said on PBS the crisis was largely unpreventable from a practical standpoint because there wasn't the political will to regulate and enforce to the extent that would have been necessary to prevent this, at the appropriate time(2001-2004). Guess what, that key period came before the formation of Atlasia under the soverienty of the US. Meaning we would have inhereited it. Recognition of the problem didn't come till it was too late just like in RL.

4. The laws currently on the books from late 2008 didn't address the whole problem. Many issues weren't even touched and so it will be difficult to claim this has already been dealt with.

Just to get yelled at:

Just introduce it, table it after market hours, then reintroduce it in the morning everyday into infinity. Problem solved Tongue

I would much prefer something along the lines of a Resolution regime laid out be PAul Volcker in RL. WE currently have a similar setup in place, but it is constructed a little differently.

http://www.financialcrisisupdate.com/2009/09/levitt-volcker-stress-need-for-resolution-authority-for-large-financial-institutions-basel-urges-cross-border-framework.html
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1247 on: October 03, 2009, 08:42:58 PM »

I'm not pretending we don't have problems, I would just contend they're not as severe as our real-world counterpart. Action needs to be taken, I simply don't know what action to take.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1248 on: October 03, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »

I'm not pretending we don't have problems, I would just contend they're not as severe as our real-world counterpart. Action needs to be taken, I simply don't know what action to take.

The reason the Senate hates dealing with the economy folks. Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1249 on: October 05, 2009, 12:18:23 AM »

The reason the Senate hates dealing with the economy folks. Smiley

I hate dealing with it too. Go figure.

I have consistently asked that those with superior knowledge of economics point out where I make faults. But, of course, simply saying I'm wrong doesn't help. When Yank thought I was wrong, he gave me links and thoughts, etc. which influenced a number of articles and resulted in better info. You are welcome to do the same.

And you are correct that I have not reviewed every piece of legislation the Senate has passed. This is why I requested you point out how the US and Atlasia differ. A simple response goes a long way (and do try to keep it simple because your long posts tend to confuse me Wink).
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies