Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:25:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 77
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 130848 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: September 26, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »

The biggest thing I will take away from this job is I now have two months experience.  I am no longer a completely new beginner.  Those two months could prove very valuable in my job search.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #526 on: September 26, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »

You should file a nuisance lawsuit alleging that the company fired you because of your Injun race.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #527 on: September 26, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »

I'm sad Bushie doesn't trust me to find him legit companies.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #528 on: September 26, 2014, 08:16:35 PM »

I knew this was coming for quite a while but I still find it depressing. It probably doesn't help that I've been pretty depressed lately anyway.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the news, Jeff. I hope you can find something else quickly.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #529 on: September 26, 2014, 08:21:58 PM »

I knew this was coming for quite a while but I still find it depressing. It probably doesn't help that I've been pretty depressed lately anyway.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the news, Jeff. I hope you can find something else quickly.

Sorry to hear you've been depressed.  If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #530 on: September 26, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »

Even though it looks bad, don't try anything like quitting before your boss gets the chance to fire you Tuesday. Do whatever you can to keep your job during the meeting.

Don't give up until he actually says "You're fired."
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #531 on: September 26, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »

bushie, it is unfortunate but cadd might not be for you.

It's better than customer service.  I'm not going to give up on CAD.  I know I can do it, and I was starting to get it, I just need a more patient boss.

Anyway, I have PM'd some of the Update readers the name of my family member's company for their investigation.  I look forward to reading their findings.

Before I spend another minute helping you out, I want you to get this out of your head immediately. If this isn't working out, there may not be any particular person to blame, but your "boss's patience" is the least of your worries. I think you know you weren't a stellar student, didn't practice over the summer and entered a CADD job as a true greenhorn. Companies aren't looking to teach you from the ground up -- that's what your school was for. The position or the company may not be right for you, but don't you dare even hint at blaming someone else. Own your experiences and take some personal responsibility.

As others have encouraged you to do, show up on Tuesday and have whatever "talk" he wants to have. Don't make this another "Jeff quits and feigns indignity before he can get fired" scenario.

Have you communicated back with him to ask why the break on Monday, or why he wants to talk with you? That CAN be done in a diplomatic way if you step up and own your own situations. Ask him:

- "Is there a particular reason you don't need me on Monday?"

- "Can you give me an idea of what we'll be talking about on Tuesday? If something needs improvement or needs addressed, let's do it sooner. I'm available."

I get the feeling you got a text, responded weakly or not at all, and now are forced to dream up what the scenario is. And maybe we're all 99 % sure ... but find out from the source.

And before I look into this other company ... Jeff, have you ever considered that regular work just isn't for you? I was encouraged by this company because the role and responsibilities seemed to be much more in line with where your skillset MIGHT be. And now we have major clues that it's ending. Again, don't blame anyone but yourself. And maybe you're not to blame either. You just seem to be clueless as to how to interact and succeed in the world in which the rest of us live.

Others have suggested disability, which could be easily attributable to your Tourette's or your chronic headaches or your dibilitating obesity or ... name it, you've got it. Or maybe something as simple as order processing, an accounting-type job where all you do is move "Paper A" into "Box B" ... "gotta make the doughnuts" type-of stuff.

I'm not giving up on you, but sometimes I feel like the dad who tells his horribly ugly daughter that she can be a model. I thought CADD was the right direction for you to be coached, and I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't work out due to issues you could have and should have owned.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #532 on: September 26, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »

bushie, it is unfortunate but cadd might not be for you.

It's better than customer service.  I'm not going to give up on CAD.  I know I can do it, and I was starting to get it, I just need a more patient boss.

Anyway, I have PM'd some of the Update readers the name of my family member's company for their investigation.  I look forward to reading their findings.

Before I spend another minute helping you out, I want you to get this out of your head immediately. If this isn't working out, there may not be any particular person to blame, but your "boss's patience" is the least of your worries. I think you know you weren't a stellar student, didn't practice over the summer and entered a CADD job as a true greenhorn. Companies aren't looking to teach you from the ground up -- that's what your school was for. The position or the company may not be right for you, but don't you dare even hint at blaming someone else. Own your experiences and take some personal responsibility.

As others have encouraged you to do, show up on Tuesday and have whatever "talk" he wants to have. Don't make this another "Jeff quits and feigns indignity before he can get fired" scenario.

Have you communicated back with him to ask why the break on Monday, or why he wants to talk with you? That CAN be done in a diplomatic way if you step up and own your own situations. Ask him:

- "Is there a particular reason you don't need me on Monday?"

- "Can you give me an idea of what we'll be talking about on Tuesday? If something needs improvement or needs addressed, let's do it sooner. I'm available."

I get the feeling you got a text, responded weakly or not at all, and now are forced to dream up what the scenario is. And maybe we're all 99 % sure ... but find out from the source.

And before I look into this other company ... Jeff, have you ever considered that regular work just isn't for you? I was encouraged by this company because the role and responsibilities seemed to be much more in line with where your skillset MIGHT be. And now we have major clues that it's ending. Again, don't blame anyone but yourself. And maybe you're not to blame either. You just seem to be clueless as to how to interact and succeed in the world in which the rest of us live.

Others have suggested disability, which could be easily attributable to your Tourette's or your chronic headaches or your dibilitating obesity or ... name it, you've got it. Or maybe something as simple as order processing, an accounting-type job where all you do is move "Paper A" into "Box B" ... "gotta make the doughnuts" type-of stuff.

I'm not giving up on you, but sometimes I feel like the dad who tells his horribly ugly daughter that she can be a model. I thought CADD was the right direction for you to be coached, and I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't work out due to issues you could have and should have owned.

Did J-Mann and opebo ever go at it in past seasons?  I feel like it would be quite the epic confrontation.   
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #533 on: September 26, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »

Ten years ago, I couldn't stand Opebo. Politically, I grew closer to him over time, but in terms of personal responsibility, I think we're still light years apart. I considered him a Forum buddy, though, by the time I ended regularly posting here.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #534 on: September 26, 2014, 09:42:03 PM »

Ten years ago, I couldn't stand Opebo. Politically, I grew closer to him over time, but in terms of personal responsibility, I think we're still light years apart. I considered him a Forum buddy, though, by the time I ended regularly posting here.

I wasn't talking about the personal relationship.  I was talking about how much he would scoff at your insistence that Bushie put blame on himself/take responsibility.  I think the ensuing war of words would be fantastic Update material. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #535 on: September 26, 2014, 09:43:32 PM »

I do wonder how Bushie replied to his boss's text, if at all.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #536 on: September 26, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »

I wasn't talking about the personal relationship.  I was talking about how much he would scoff at your insistence that Bushie put blame on himself/take responsibility.  I think the ensuing war of words would be fantastic Update material. 

That it would. Yes, his ideas on personal responsibility repulse me ... I miss him.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #537 on: September 26, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »

J-Mann, I know I could have done things better in this job and in the talk on Tuesday, I'm going to ask him what I can improve on for the next opportunity.

The reason for Tuesday, and not Monday, is that he's starting a new, experienced, employee on Monday and wants to spend the day orientating him and getting him up to speed.

I'm not going to make the first move.  I'll let him be the one that kicks me out, I'm not going to kick myself out.  Whatever the reason, I will go out with my head high and proud of what I did accomplish over the past two months.  I can be proud that I finally have my CAD career started.  I'm definitely not giving up on my CAD career.  I feel I still have a lot to offer in the drafting world.  This will not be my last drafting job.

I don't have access to my resume tonight, as it's on my main computer at home.  I am down at my parents' to put together our game plan.  I will go back Sunday after morning church.  That said, I have been looking online for some jobs to apply to once I get back home on Sunday.  I have found 3 places in Oklahoma City (including this family member's company) to apply to online and then I have two places in south Tulsa to visit on Monday.  Both ads say they prefer walk-in applications.  I will visit them Monday morning at 09:00 and 11:00.  One is in Southwest Tulsa and the other is Southeast Tulsa/Broken Arrow.  I've got them bookmarked so i can find them easier.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #538 on: September 26, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »

I do wonder how Bushie replied to his boss's text, if at all.

Two simple letters - "Ok"
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #539 on: September 26, 2014, 09:53:57 PM »

J-Mann, I know I could have done things better in this job and in the talk on Tuesday, I'm going to ask him what I can improve on for the next opportunity.

The reason for Tuesday, and not Monday, is that he's starting a new, experienced, employee on Monday and wants to spend the day orientating him and getting him up to speed.

I'm not going to make the first move.  I'll let him be the one that kicks me out, I'm not going to kick myself out.  Whatever the reason, I will go out with my head high and proud of what I did accomplish over the past two months.  I can be proud that I finally have my CAD career started.  I'm definitely not giving up on my CAD career.  I feel I still have a lot to offer in the drafting world.  This will not be my last drafting job.

I don't have access to my resume tonight, as it's on my main computer at home.  I am down at my parents' to put together our game plan.  I will go back Sunday after morning church.  That said, I have been looking online for some jobs to apply to once I get back home on Sunday.  I have found 3 places in Oklahoma City (including this family member's company) to apply to online and then I have two places in south Tulsa to visit on Monday.  Both ads say they prefer walk-in applications.  I will visit them Monday morning at 09:00 and 11:00.  One is in Southwest Tulsa and the other is Southeast Tulsa/Broken Arrow.  I've got them bookmarked so i can find them easier.

Therein lies a problem, Bushie.  This has to be YOUR game plan.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #540 on: September 26, 2014, 10:02:49 PM »

I don't have access to my resume tonight, as it's on my main computer at home.  I am down at my parents' to put together our game plan. I will go back Sunday after morning church.  That said, I have been looking online for some jobs to apply to once I get back home on Sunday.  I have found 3 places in Oklahoma City (including this family member's company) to apply to online and then I have two places in south Tulsa to visit on Monday.  Both ads say they prefer walk-in applications.  I will visit them Monday morning at 09:00 and 11:00.  One is in Southwest Tulsa and the other is Southeast Tulsa/Broken Arrow.  I've got them bookmarked so i can find them easier.

Therein lies a problem, Bushie.  This has to be YOUR game plan.

For the most part it is, but I wanted to get their advice, too.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #541 on: September 26, 2014, 10:06:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

RIP JOB
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #542 on: September 26, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »

An experienced new hire? Yeah, you're getting pushed out. He'll probably be at your desk on Tuesday.

Be as cordial as you can and maybe he'll feel bad enough to offer himself as a reference. Don't expect it or ask for it, but just remember to be nice and understanding.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #543 on: September 26, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »

I would like to see Our Dear Friend apply for a job in the office of future Senator Lankford.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #544 on: September 26, 2014, 10:46:02 PM »

I would like to see Our Dear Friend apply for a job in the office of future Senator Lankford.

Bushie should work in government.  Back when I worked as an intern for Senator Lautenberg in 2008, they sometimes said even if I wasn't that great with constituents who called the office with questions (it was the first time I'd ever had to talk to people over the phone regularly) they would keep me around just because I livened up the place with political banter and could hold my own in a discussion of current events.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #545 on: September 26, 2014, 11:58:25 PM »

Bushie should work in government.  Back when I worked as an intern for Senator Lautenberg in 2008, they sometimes said even if I wasn't that great with constituents who called the office with questions (it was the first time I'd ever had to talk to people over the phone regularly) they would keep me around just because I livened up the place with political banter and could hold my own in a discussion of current events.

The only problem with that is that working in a elected official's office, it is a lot of call center work trying to answer questions about the official's positions and then GOTV efforts.  That's a call center.  Lest we all forget the lesson learned from my previous employment attempts - BushOklahoma and call centers don't mix.  We're not friends.  If I take a call center job, no matter the nature, it's a matter of time before we sing this same song again.  My old man told me this evening not to ever go back to customer service!!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #546 on: September 27, 2014, 12:18:54 AM »

Well, this is certainly a sad turn of events. Sorry, Bushie.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #547 on: September 27, 2014, 12:22:42 AM »

Jeff, what is Mama and Papa Bushie's game plan for you this time?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #548 on: September 27, 2014, 01:03:43 AM »

If I take a call center job, no matter the nature, it's a matter of time before we sing this same song again.  My old man told me this evening not to ever go back to customer service!!

While I think he's right in this case, this looks like yet another case in which you're letting your dad live your life for you.  He had you move back to OK, when you were more or less happy staying in Utah, he tells you what jobs you should and shouldn't take.  Wasn't he the one who actually encouraged you to take the CADD class in the first place, or am I misremembering?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #549 on: September 27, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »

Time to quit these delusions of grandeur and just accept your lot in life.  Become an overnight security guard at a storage unit complex.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies