1844: Tyler (D) vs. Clay (W) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:06:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1844: Tyler (D) vs. Clay (W) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1844: Tyler (D) vs. Clay (W)  (Read 705 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: September 05, 2014, 06:59:16 AM »

Oh lordy,

even back then Tyler was considered to be a pretty bad president.  Although in real life I highly doubt that Jackson would beg the Democrats to nominate a guy who was like one of his bitterest enemies in the South (Tyler was basically an unreconstructed old school Southern Democratic-Republican rich boy who disliked Jackson's populism), in this scenario I see that is about as far as Tyler gets.  The man just was not well liked by anybody, Democratic or Whig, and for good reason.  Hackish Democrats might stage a walkout and not show up to vote in mass numbers.  Without any northern presence on the ticket you would have large disaffection from anti-slavery Democrats (yes they existed), immigrants (especially the Irish, who would feel much less enthused to show out for a Democratic candidate who just four years earlier was a Whig), economic moderates (tariff friendly Democrats, especially from Pennsylvania and other mid-Atlantic states who would see the ticket as too pro-free trade), and probably a couple of other groups I can't think of this early in the day.

I consider this map to be possible:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies