1844: Tyler (D) vs. Clay (W)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:55:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1844: Tyler (D) vs. Clay (W)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1844: Tyler (D) vs. Clay (W)  (Read 700 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2014, 05:15:40 AM »

As no Democratic candidate is able to win the party's nomination, former President Andrew Jackson endorses incumbent President John Tyler for the nomination. Jackson convinces his party to nominate the sitting president because of the Texas issue and the advantage of the incumency. James Polk is nominated as Vice President (in real life, dark horse candidate Polk hoped to be nominated for Vice President before the convention started).

The Whigs nominate Senator Henry Clay, who bitterly opposed Tyler's policies in the past year. Discuss with maps.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:59:16 AM »

Oh lordy,

even back then Tyler was considered to be a pretty bad president.  Although in real life I highly doubt that Jackson would beg the Democrats to nominate a guy who was like one of his bitterest enemies in the South (Tyler was basically an unreconstructed old school Southern Democratic-Republican rich boy who disliked Jackson's populism), in this scenario I see that is about as far as Tyler gets.  The man just was not well liked by anybody, Democratic or Whig, and for good reason.  Hackish Democrats might stage a walkout and not show up to vote in mass numbers.  Without any northern presence on the ticket you would have large disaffection from anti-slavery Democrats (yes they existed), immigrants (especially the Irish, who would feel much less enthused to show out for a Democratic candidate who just four years earlier was a Whig), economic moderates (tariff friendly Democrats, especially from Pennsylvania and other mid-Atlantic states who would see the ticket as too pro-free trade), and probably a couple of other groups I can't think of this early in the day.

I consider this map to be possible:

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:40 PM »

Clay/Frelinghuysen  209  50.4%
Tyler/Polk   66   46.8%
Birney/Morris      2.7%