Scottish Independence referendum, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:36:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Scottish Independence referendum, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Yes or No?
Yes to independence

No to independence

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: Scottish Independence referendum, 2014  (Read 6240 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »

Obviously I support it because it would make the United Kingdom look funny.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 11:35:09 AM »

I enjoy knowing what currency my savings are in, so nay. Although I sympathize with any attempt to Scandinavianize Scotland, remove nuclear weapons, and think the Better Together campaign is generally cringeworthy.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »

I used to be a fan of direct democracy, until Better Together and AV showed us that the British cannot run a competent referendum campaign.

I dread the EU campaigns ...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 12:48:40 PM »

I think I'd vote against.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 01:25:16 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2014, 01:32:45 PM by afleitch »

Obviously I am for it.

I didn't used to be. I think there is something childlike in loving the country you are born in, just because you happen to be born there. I think any nation; and by nation I mean peoples, politics, ways of doing things etc has to prove itself to you as being worthy of merit to a person. There was a time in my life when Scotland was a very intricate and baffling nation. Had Scotland pursued independence or even devolution earlier in the 20th century it would have became a presbyterian, inward looking, conservative backwater. Even as late as 1999, it wasn't clear what sort of nation Scotland would become with a parliament. Before the parliament all we had was a grievance and it wasn't a productive one. It was certainly a very uncomfortable place to grow up in, especially in the west of Scotland where competing forms of Irish national expression, whether republican or unionist seemed to be more important in defining a community than any sense of being Scottish or not defining yourself by your religious community. It was a very powerful and often exploited division that was very helpful in distracting the working classes from genuine social problems. As late as 2001, Scotland had a horrible experience involving Section 28 which tested the parliament. When Donald Dewar died, we felt something had been lost.

But Scotland has positioned itself and moved at such speed towards an open, outward looking and liberal society that has surpised even me. For many Scots looking for work or escaping the green and blue tinted bigotry or seeking the freedom of sexual expression meant heading south, to England, to London to make a home and name for yourself. That isn't the case today. There is a feeling that Scotland's priorities are not those of our neighbours, that's Scotland's ethos is new and is distinctivly Scottish. Modern Scotland is what Scotland is about. Modern Scotland is what has driven this desire for independence more so than traditional nationalism.

Britain just doesn't represent me anymore. It doesn't matter who is in power; its much deeper and wider than politics.

Cobbler
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »

If this ends up passing, what will likely become of the rest of the UK (England, Wales, N. Ireland)? Will they remain together, or do you all think they will split as well?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2014, 02:14:48 PM by Senator Cassius »

If this ends up passing, what will likely become of the rest of the UK (England, Wales, N. Ireland)? Will they remain together, or do you all think they will split as well?

No chance. Irish reunification is still probably too controversial even to be considered (and I'm not even sure there's that much will for it anymore), whilst Wales is far too weak to be considered as a potential polity in its own right (not that its really much of a country anyway, aside from when it comes to Rugby and Football). The idea of any English region becoming independent is just laughably silly.

Anyway, if I were a Scot, I would vote no, but I'm not, and I hope they do vote for independence. I mean, they (or rather, a considerable section of them) have been frothing at the mouth for so long over the percieved injustices done to them by the evil southern Englishers that I think its time they had a go at rectifying them themselves.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »

No (not a silly republican or dastardly nationalist).
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »

As someone who is not a Scottish citizen, I would vote against the referendum. The breakup of the United Kingdom is something I cannot support. I really can't say how I would vote if I actually lived in Scotland.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »

While I'm not Scottish, I must say when I look at UK, that there seem to be little reason for the Scots to keep the union, in fact I would go so far and say there are no reason to stay. All the benefit from being a unified state with UK the Scots would get through EU or even EFTA. So if I lived in Scotland, I would vote yes.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »

The breakup of the United Kingdom is something I cannot support.

Why?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »

As Scotland contains less than 10% of the population of the UK and is significantly smaller than London, breakup would only be a useful term in a 'breakup of the Soviet Union' sense. And we already have a Near Abroad (i.e. Ireland).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »

I dislike nationalism and find the current situation - which is at least partially the result of so much mutual misunderstanding - to be at least slightly sad, but this really is just a matter for the Scottish electorate. It's their mistake to make (or opportunity to take). All the 'BRITAIN MUST STAY UNITED' and 'FREEEEDOOOOM' nonsense here is cringeworthy.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »

I dislike nationalism and find the current situation - which is at least partially the result of so much mutual misunderstanding - to be at least slightly sad, but this really is just a matter for the Scottish electorate. It's their mistake to make (or opportunity to take). All the 'BRITAIN MUST STAY UNITED' and 'FREEEEDOOOOM' nonsense here is cringeworthy.

Still, Scotland is over half the non-English part of the UK and has the only major urban centres outside of England (sorry Belfast..). If they leave, the UK will de facto just be Greater England this would presumably influence the identity and character of the country?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 01:05:11 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

>2014
>literally a citizen of a country that fought for its freedom from British tyranny
>'Long live Britain!'

[/quote]

Obviously since the circumstances of the American Revolution and the current Scottish referendum are totally the same.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 05:16:33 AM »

Panda Express

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 05:33:40 AM »

I'm going to feel bad for the UK if it's 2014 and they're still losing territory.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »

I've yet to hear an argument in favor of "Yes" besides "RAR RAR NATIONALISM!"
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2014, 10:15:14 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2014, 11:30:55 AM by politicus »

You cant have paid much attention then. Basically Scotlands political culture is different and a majority prefer a different societal model with - among other things - a much more developed welfare state than Britain is today.

"10 Reasons to vote YES for an Independent Scotland

Below is a selection of the most heard reasons, comments and opinions from Yes-voters. If you agree with most of these reasons then make sure you vote YES at Scotland's Referendum for Scottish Independence.

Move all powers to the Scottish Government
1. Taking Responsibility by moving all Governing Powers to Scotland

You would like to get the opportunity to move more responsibilities to a more local Scottish Democracy instead of accept the fate of Westminster's plans? With all the powers moved to Scotland, we can make a fairer Scotland.
Find out more: Scotland's Future and Scotland's Referendum   

Get the Government we choose
2. Get the Government we choose

The Tories are in power in the UK, although the majority of Scots have chosen the opposition. The Scots are outnumbered ten to one, so whatever government the Scots will vote for in a UK General Election, it's highly unlikely that a Scottish Political Party will ever be part of a UK Government representing Scotland's needs. With the rising votes for UKIP in England, our goals towards a fair and harmonious society will diminish even further.
Find out more: Scotland's Referendum   

Stop building Nuclear Weapons
3. No more building Nuclear Weapons

We should stop building Nuclear Weapons in Scotland, it is unethical and morally wrong. Under "The Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons" the UK expects all other countries to sign this agreement to disarm Nuclear Weapons, but has excluded itself. Under the treaty it continues to build more Nuclear Weapons in Scotland. If you believe in peace instead of war, let's stop building weapons of mass destruction and start caring for the people and the planet.
Find out more: Yes Scotland   

Scottish Oil in North Sea
4. Securing Oil Funds in North Sea

Scotland's Oil reserves are vast. Most of the revenue and tax made from Oil goes directly to Westminster. There are claims that Scotland will be one of the wealthiest nations in Europe if we become independent.
Find out more: Yes Scotland   

Scotland has the resources and finances
5. Scotland has the resources and finances

Scotland has the resources and finances to become independent. One of the early myths created by the No Campaign has been debunked and even the Unionists agree that Scotland has what it takes to become independent and the Scottish people will be better off financially.
Find out more: Yes Scotland and The Scottish Government and The Independent

Creating more jobs
6. Believing in the creation of more jobs

With an ever rising energy and electricity demand in Europe, Scotland could be one of the global leading suppliers. Scotland has many natural resources that allow sustainable energy for which more jobs are created. Furthermore when Scotland becomes Independent, many centralized services and offices, like Tax Offices, DVLA etc have to be set up in Scotland. This will create many jobs and jobs provide an income, which is good for the economy and beneficial for us all.
Find out more: Scotland's Future and The Guardian   

Benefits for Scotland and yourself
7. Believing in the benefits for Scotland and yourself as individual

Not only will there be more jobs, the future Government already has plans for creating better Healthcare and improve the situation for Pensioners and people with children. We'll keep the minimum wages, scrap the bedroom tax, etc.

More equality
8. Believing in a more equal wages

The difference in wage in London compared to Scotland for example is huge. This gap is growing and with the current UK Government the richest only seem to get richer and the poor becoming poorer. With a smaller gap between the highest and lowest incomes, there will be less jealousy, greed and more happiness if we're have more equal wages.
Find out more: Yes Scotland and Michael Meacher MP

Differences between Scotland and England
9. Believing that Scotland and England have opposite Political and Social views

We love Scotland and we love England. Why should both countries suffer from having to compromise political decisions to please both sides? Let's respect each other and go our own way. In doing so, we'll become better friends and neighbours then we are ever going to be in a forced political marriage."
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »

I think nationalism are more than enough reason to vote yes. In fact I woulkd say the treatment of Scotland under the Thatcher government would be more than enough reason for the Scottish to ask themselves, why they should share a state with people who clearly don't care about them.

But if we have to look at it cynical, most of the British oil lies in Scottish territorial waters.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »

I simply believe that the UK is strongest in its current form. Granted, it's the opinion of someone who does not live in the UK, let alone Scotland. But, as I already said, I don't know how I would vote if I lived in Scotland. Ultimately, I'll support whatever option the people of Scotland choose, as it is solely their decision to make.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »

That bit about the oil is rather amusing considering how depleted it is. Silly to secede over something that'll be gone in 20 years.

And I certainly don't have a high opinion of Thatcher either which is why I don't support something that would benefit her party.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »

That bit about the oil is rather amusing considering how depleted it is. Silly to secede over something that'll be gone in 20 years.

And I certainly don't have a high opinion of Thatcher either which is why I don't support something that would benefit her party.

So the Scots should stay in the union for the benefit of the UK Labour Party?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies