2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:53:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34
Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread  (Read 77724 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2014, 08:53:56 PM »
« edited: August 31, 2014, 11:54:43 PM by NHI »

2008 Presidential Election: Signups

√ (R) Rudy Giuliani: 307 (36.7%)
(D) Joe Biden: 195 (34.8%)
(L) Gary Johnson: 21 (14.6%)
(G) Dennis Kucinich: 15 (13.7%)
Other: 0 (0.2%)

In 2004 Rudy Giuliani succeeded incumbent President George W. Bush, who chose not to seek reelection and became the 44th President of the United States. Giuliani won a decisive election against Democratic nominee Joe Biden, along with Green Party nominee Dennis Kucinich and Libertarian Candidate Gary Johnson. The first four years of the Giuliani Administration saw low unemployment, success in the Afghanistan and Iraq War. Giuliani received high marks for his handling of the natural disaster: Hurricane Katrina. Giuliani enjoyed relatively high approval ratings from the public, but many of the distractions for the President came from the right wing of the party. Much speculation being put to a potential primary challenge against the President. Both likely Republican candidates (Bob Smith and Jim DeMint) declined a run, but conservatives are still actively searching for a candidate.

Democrats eager to win back the White House after nearly eight years in the political wilderness have yet to find a candidate. Frontrunner include Hillary Clinton, John Edwards and Blanche Lincoln, but only Clinton has declared a candidacy.

Presidential Giuliani Approval Rating: September 2007
Approve: 53%
Disapprove: 40%
Undecided/No Opinion: 7%

Republican Nomination Poll: September 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 77%
Other 'More Conservative Candidate': 18%
Undecided: 5%

I will begin taking signups: This will close on Sunday, we'll begin the game on Tuesday if that works?

Round 1: September 1st-September 8, 2007

Candidates:

Republican Primary:
Newt Gingrich: BaconBacon96
Rudy Giuliani: DKrol of Highgarden
Ron Paul: Jerseyrules
Mark Sanford: Senator Spiral

Democratic Primary:
Evan Bayh: RGN08
Hillary Clinton: NewYorkNewYorkExpress
Howard Dean: IDS Emperor Maxwell
John Edwards: Sjoyce
John Kerry: Dubya
Mary Landrieu: Flo
Blanche Lincoln: badgate

Independent/Libertarian/Green Candidate:
Michael Bloomberg: JerryArkansas
Ralph Nader: Senator Cranberry
Jesse Ventura: Madman Motely
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »

OOC: So, President Giuliani has moved the Republican Party dramatically toward the center? 84% approval among Republicans coinciding with a 50% disapproval among conservatives is bizarre. It suggests a large, large shift in the base of the Republican Party. In this environment, a Blue Dog Democrat would be a major challenger to Giuliani.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »

OOC: Maybe conservatives are bolting the Republicans in large number and the Republican Party is basically tiny. But either way, the numbers don't really add up.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »

OOC: Maybe conservatives are bolting the Republicans in large number and the Republican Party is basically tiny. But either way, the numbers don't really add up.
OOC: So, President Giuliani has moved the Republican Party dramatically toward the center? 84% approval among Republicans coinciding with a 50% disapproval among conservatives is bizarre. It suggests a large, large shift in the base of the Republican Party. In this environment, a Blue Dog Democrat would be a major challenger to Giuliani.

I've revised the numbers and re-figured somethings. I've left with a general approval rating, along with the nomination poll.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »

Tuesday is fine.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:09:47 PM »

Well darn. I was hoping that Rudy was some sort of transformational leader who fundamentally changed the nature of politics in America. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »

I'll be playing as Edwards.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »

I shall be Mark Sanford.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »

I shall be a surprise candidate.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »

Well darn. I was hoping that Rudy was some sort of transformational leader who fundamentally changed the nature of politics in America. 
Me being over idealistic...realistically the country needs a lot for that to happen. Maybe in a second Giuliani term...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »

Little Known Vermont Governor Howard Dean
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:30:44 PM »

I shall reprise my role as Hillary Clinton
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 09:37:24 PM »

OOC: I though the first turn was January-September 2007, hence why I didn't post a campaign announcement, xD, oh well, I will post it just for fun:

Vilsack 2008!

Mount Pleasant, Iowa, Early 2007:
With Hillary Clinton as the current main challenger to President Giuliani and Senators John Edwards and Blanche Lincoln and Former Governor Howard Dean running as well, Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack announced today that he would be seeking the Presidency. Gov. Vilsack is a long shot, but his aides believe he will be more successful than Tom Harkin was in 1992. The question is, can he win in Iowa and turn it into other victories?

(Slightly adapted version of the OTL Vilsack speech)

" (Excerpt) Ladies and gentlemen, I am here today to bring even bolder change and build an even stronger future for our great nation. And let us face facts: The world today is filled with real threats and real problems. Our way of life is still at risk from terrorism throughout the world, and here at home, families still have to struggle with skyrocketing healthcare costs and rising college tuition. For too many, home ownership is but a fading dream. For others, a secure retirement is an unfulfilled promise. And for many neighborhoods and cities, crime is a daily threat and danger. Let us also speak truth: Regardless of how the Republican Party loudly proclaims that Presidents Bush and Giuliani made our nation stronger and safer, by any measure or standard we are evidently less safe and less secure than we were 6 years ago. Our country needs bold leadership guided by the right values and the right experience. That is why I am here today.

For those of you meeting me for the first time, let me say to you that I have always been the underdog and long shot. For my entire life I have always been inspired by stories of ordinary people who struggled, but ultimately succeeded against the odds. I have already served as a mayor, state senator and two-term governor. I have worked every day in public life to bring people together to create change, and funny as it sounds I have much more experience than the current President when he started his presidential campaign. For the past eight years, Iowa successfully changed farm fields into energy fields. We changed the traditional idea of agriculture and became the national leader in renewable fuel and energy production. As a state, we became more economically, environmentally and energy secure. If you drive around Iowa today, you will see a changing landscape marked by new ethanol and bio-fuel production plants and wind farms. We had the courage to create change in education, health care and government itself. And by having the courage to create change, we provided greater security and opportunity to our people.

America needs a president who builds and creates, who makes our country more secure, who is bold and has the courage to create change and I will be that president. So today, in front of the family and friends I love and here in the community I call home, I announce my candidacy to be the next President of the United States. May God Bless the United States of America."

Campaign Info:

Campaign Manager: Craig Varoga.
Finance Advisor: Shari Yost-Gold.
Finance Director: Michael Hayden.
Senior Policy Advisor: Cheryl Parker-Rose.
Communications Strategist: Jeff Link.
Director of Scheduling: Alice Parker.
Iowa State Director: Dusky Terry.
Media Consultant: Roy Behr.
Advisor: Teresa Vilmain.

Vilsack '08 HQ: 6200 Thornton Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »

Can we do campaign announcements in the official 2008 thread?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 10:28:12 PM »

Hmmmm... Should I remove it and wait for the main thread? I figured the schedule was the really important part, and the game thread starts in September 2007 (I assume the candidates would have declared much earlier)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »

Hmmmm... Should I remove it and wait for the main thread? I figured the schedule was the really important part, and the game thread starts in September 2007 (I assume the candidates would have declared much earlier)

I'll leave it up to you all. We can keep this strict the signup thread, I don't have a problem though with this also including the announcements. I will post all the candidates and who is playing them on the first post.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 11:23:14 PM »

MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 11:52:14 PM »

Jesse Ventura - Independent/Libertarian
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 12:08:56 AM »

January 2007 - Dean for President!

"The Democratic Party has not been nearly critical enough of this administration. For too long, we've looked at a few of the piecemeal policy solutions and agreed with those and let them go there merry way on so many others. It's time we put a stop to it. Deficits are too high, ranking in healthcare and education is too low, our nations infrastructure is crumbling, and we went to war on false pretense. It's time we took a good hard look and said, is this really the path where we want to go?

America doesn't really know me. I've had to face large obstacles before *laughter*. In Vermont, I was a doctor, not really involved in politics until I was plucked out and elected to the state House of Representatives, a part time job where I could continue my medical practice. When the Governor of the state died, I had no choice but to serve my country. I took a record five terms as Vermonts Governor before retiring. Unlike some of the other people running, I've dedicated my life to healthcare, with Dr. Dynosaur, I brought near universal coverage to all Vermonters, and all that without busting the budget. I endorsed Dennis Kucinich in 2004 because I thought he was the right man for the job, but things have really got worse since then. In 2008, we need someone with true leadership experience who has a backbone for the people's policy, and I am that man.

I'm not an established figure. I am not beholden to special interests. I will not back down for the people. Because change doesn't come from Government, it comes from the people. When the people demand it, we must respond. Americans don't want four more years of the same plutocracy, they want change. That's what I plan to deliver."
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 12:28:24 AM »

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 12:38:45 AM »

Mark Sanford 2008: A Vision for America

Good evening, y'all! I know that all of you out here in the crowd will be excited to hear this news: I have officially filed my paperwork and am now a candidate for President of the United States! *applause* Some people may be wondering why I've decided to challenge a sitting President. After all, I'm sure we all consider President Giuliani to be a decent, hardworking man, as I do. However, that's not the issue at hand here. Our President has failed to live up to the core principles of his party time and time again, and he has betrayed and alienated his allies as well as millions of Americans across the country that he represents as our nation's leader. One can only look at the record and come to this conclusion. Republicans are about managing and shrinking government, and being responsible with our spending, but our government has grown larger just as our debt has. Republicans believe in free-market principles, but the President has been picking and choosing winners in sectors like energy. Republicans believe in the sanctity of life and upholding our nation's traditional values, but our President has openly been like a Democrat on these issues for years and has reflected that in office.

All of these show a failure of leadership and principle from our President. It's up to all of us in Washington to obey the Constitution and live within our means, but we have fewer allies here than we would like or should have. For every single person out there who has become frustrated with the way government has been going these last couple of years, know that you have a choice. I'm offering a strong alternative and new solutions from President Giuliani. I want to embrace free-market principles and minimize the influence that government has on your lives in all ways. I will put an end to reckless government spending and eliminate the massive tax burden that you're saddled with. We shall once again follow the rule of law and stick to the founding principles of our Constitution. This election isn't just about the heart and soul of the Republican Party, it's of the entire country. Real leadership will come in the White House, and I hope to meet you all there. Let's win this thing! Thank you, God bless you, and God bless the United States of America!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 04:28:46 AM »

I'll be seeking a second term.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »

I'm not sure if I'll be able to play or not, but I'm leaning towards playing as Joe Biden. Don't count me in though, my homework schedule might make it hard to be a regular player.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 10:35:12 AM »

Ralph Nader for President

Good evening. You might know me as the man that stole the 2000 Election, or so I am called by a few Democrats. [laughter] Yes, indeed, that was my intention then, but I'd rather have stolen it from both parties. [laughter] Six years have passed since then, and the administration of a Mr Clinton has been followed by one of a Mr Bush and one of a Mr Guliani. Yet, have we experienced any differences? Nothing has changed since then, America is still ruled and divided by the two major parties, that are the same in everything but name. Your "choice", America, is between the same, and nothing but the same. I think it is about time someone really steals the election from them!

Two years ago, we got a bit further to that moment. The Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson, and our own party's candidate, Dennis Kuchinic, both scored better than any third-party candidate since Ross Perot, and have been the first third-party candidates since George Wallace in 1968 to win the electoral votes of a state! All this will again occur in 2008. 2004 was a sign of warning for our two major parties. 2008 will be the year of reckoning for those two parties, when America will finally know better than to support two parties that have brought us endless recessions, wars and nothing but more of the same. 2008 will be when I, with your help, as the candidate of the Green Party, will again try to steal the election, from Democrats and Republicans alike! Thank you, and blessings to you all!

Let's try it once again Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies