WV-R. L. Repass & Partners/Charleston Daily Mail: Tennant = done
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:27:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  WV-R. L. Repass & Partners/Charleston Daily Mail: Tennant = done
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WV-R. L. Repass & Partners/Charleston Daily Mail: Tennant = done  (Read 3041 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2014, 01:31:09 AM »

The "West Virginia Poll" for the Charleston Daily Mail:

54% Capito (R)
37% Tennant (D)
  9% Undecided

You must be logged in to read this quote.

R. L. Repass & Partners conducts the West Virginia Poll for the Charleston Daily Mail. The firm polled 401 likely voters Aug. 15-23. The company compiled responses from residents in all 55 counties using opt-in Internet surveys, landline telephone calls and cellphone calls. The margin of error is 4.9 percent.

http://www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20140829/DM01/140829209/1276
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:09:21 AM »

Joke poll but I expect PPP would find something similar, perhaps bigger. Also, congrats Keaton.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:26:16 AM »

Joke poll but I expect PPP would find something similar, perhaps bigger. Also, congrats Keaton.

PPP is pretty terrible in WV actually. Check their record there, like a lot of polls in WV recently, they vastly underestimate Republican support. PPP is good in a lot of states, West Virginia is not one of them.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:53:56 AM »

Right to work will come to West Virginia soon and Capito will be highly supportive of it, bank on it.
KCDem

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »

This polling company has an awful record. I await a real poll.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »

Right to work will come to West Virginia soon and Capito will be highly supportive of it, bank on it.

If the GOP wants to lose West Virginia, that's their problem.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 06:18:51 PM »

Identical margin to the Rassy poll not too long ago. Congresswoman Capito is an excellent campaigner, excellent candidate, and she will be an excellent Senator. Natalie Tennant deserves the shellacking.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:27:48 PM »

Because it's a poll you don't like
KCDem

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »

Because it's a poll you don't like

No, it's because this company has a terrible record. I invite you to look them up rather than needlessly picking a fight with me.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »

I've actually never heard of these people.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 12:48:32 AM »

Yeah. Capito is a good fit. She's going to win.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »

I've actually never heard of these people.

It is the West Virginia Poll. It's the only poll that regularly polls West Virginia. The Daily Mail and the Gazette pay for it so they have something to write about.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »

GOP women like Capito or Ayotte or Haley will win.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 01:20:11 AM »

What has caused her collapse? It actually seemed like she was closing the gap or at the worst treading water before, now she's getting crushed? Is it really because of the Obama comments? Considering he has like a 20% approval rating in WV, I'd be shocked if that were the reason.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »

What has caused her collapse? It actually seemed like she was closing the gap or at the worst treading water before, now she's getting crushed? Is it really because of the Obama comments? Considering he has like a 20% approval rating in WV, I'd be shocked if that were the reason.

Natalie has made a very, very bizarre series of tactical decisions. She keeps trying to assert her independence from Washington and from the President, but then Governor Romney, who is beloved in West Virginia, comes to campaign for Shelley.

Romney himself pushed the race in the GOP's direction. However, the Republican gains in the race were even larger when Natalie began attacking Romney using the same attacks Obama did 2 years ago. The week before, the week of, and the week after the Romney visit were dominated by Tennant attacking Romney for being "Wall Street" and tying Capito to Romney.

It is a bizarrely stupid decision. As a general rule, don't tie your opponent to an adored public figure that won every county in your state. I think that is sort of a revelation Tennant's liberal elitism. Her team figured that most people voting for Romney weren't actually voting for Romney, but against Obama.

That just isn't true. On top of Tennant's continued ineptitude as a candidate, her stupid handling of the Romney visit, County Clerks across the state have spoken up a little at the local level. Tennant is an absolute disaster as Secretary of State. People are mentioning it now.

Tennant is just an awful candidate running an awful campaign.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 01:46:08 PM »

The real 60 trillion dollar question is: Why would Romney be so popular in West Virginia when he's hated everywhere else (including states he actually won)?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »

Natalie has made a very, very bizarre series of tactical decisions. She keeps trying to assert her independence from Washington and from the President, but then Governor Romney, who is beloved in West Virginia, comes to campaign for Shelley.

Romney himself pushed the race in the GOP's direction. However, the Republican gains in the race were even larger when Natalie began attacking Romney using the same attacks Obama did 2 years ago. The week before, the week of, and the week after the Romney visit were dominated by Tennant attacking Romney for being "Wall Street" and tying Capito to Romney.

It is a bizarrely stupid decision. As a general rule, don't tie your opponent to an adored public figure that won every county in your state. I think that is sort of a revelation Tennant's liberal elitism. Her team figured that most people voting for Romney weren't actually voting for Romney, but against Obama.

That just isn't true. On top of Tennant's continued ineptitude as a candidate, her stupid handling of the Romney visit, County Clerks across the state have spoken up a little at the local level. Tennant is an absolute disaster as Secretary of State. People are mentioning it now.

You're the local, but I have a hard time seeing Romney as "beloved" there so much as Obama is despised.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »

You're the local, but I have a hard time seeing Romney as "beloved" there so much as Obama is despised.

Yeah, WV strikes me as the ultimate "voting against Obama, not for Romney" state. The socially conservative and economically populist state liking an etch a sketch businessman that likes being able to fire people and tends to downplay social issues? Seems a bit odd. I'd like to see Riley elaborate on this.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »

Yeah, I'd guess there aren't many social moderates like Riley in the WVGOP.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »

Yea , I can't see WV being too thrilled with a flip flopping Massachusetts Mormon moderate.
KCDem

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 07:03:08 PM »

Don't let the local schtick fool you. Keaton has no idea what he is talking about.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »

Look, I didn't believe it until I saw it. I figured the Mormon from Massachusetts wouldn't be very popular. But it turns out not to be true. He's very well liked in the state. The coalfields, of all places, think he's the greatest because he nearly took on Obama. That legitimately like him. At the Capito rally, the crowd chanted for him. The room boomed. I walked with a group of Capito staff alongside him as he made his way to the door. Dozens of people want him to run again.
NHLiberal

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 08:32:14 PM »

Look, I didn't believe it until I saw it. I figured the Mormon from Massachusetts wouldn't be very popular. But it turns out not to be true. He's very well liked in the state. The coalfields, of all places, think he's the greatest because he nearly took on Obama. That legitimately like him. At the Capito rally, the crowd chanted for him. The room boomed. I walked with a group of Capito staff alongside him as he made his way to the door. Dozens of people want him to run again.

...Literally. That's all. Smiley
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »

I really have a hard time believing that Romney is that well-liked. Most of the votes he got were because he was not Obama, except maybe in Utah.

And anecdotal evidence is usually not all that true.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »

...Literally. That's all. Smiley

He was walking straight to the door. Talked to maybe 50 people and over half asked him to run again.

The state party has data to support it, nothing I have my hands on. They've said he's well liked before but I didn't understand until I got the anecdotal stuff
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies