Why should a liberal Deomocrat support Evan Bayh?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:38:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why should a liberal Deomocrat support Evan Bayh?  (Read 6010 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2005, 01:56:27 PM »
« edited: April 06, 2005, 01:59:57 PM by nickshepDEM »

Article written by Bill Earl.  A liberal Democrat who supports Evan Bayh in 2008...

Good question.

It is true that there just might be more liberal candidates in the running for 2008, such as John Kerry who feels he deserves another shot for coming so close last time, U.S. Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI), maybe U.S. Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT), U.S. Senator Joe Biden (D-DL), and of course U.S. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY). All five of those Senators have a much more liberal record than Evan Bayh.

As you know, I personally am a liberal Democrat from the left wing of our party. My dream candidate a few years ago would have been the late U.S. Senator Paul Wellstone (D-MN). I've always gravitated toward the most liberal candidate on the primary ballot from McGovern to Church to Kennedy to Mondale to Biden to Harkin to Bradley to Dean.

Why am I supporting Evan Bayh instead of, say, Hillary or Feingold? Or my 1988 choice, who's running again 20 years later now for 2008, Joe Biden?

Because us liberals have been on the outside looking in too long. We have seen the social justice programs of FDR and LBJ get chipped away until even Social Security and the 40 hour work week are in danger---grave danger. (As Jack Nicholson once said, "Is there any other kind?")

We may see Clarence Thomas or Antonin Scalia as our next Chief Justice of our U.S. Supreme Court replacing Rehnquist. (Deep Throat?) Perhaps THIS year. We have seen a man who should have been allowed to assume his presidency, Al Gore, deprived, despite his popular vote win, because of the U.S. Supreme Court stopping the ballot counting in FLA.

Us liberals can stand firm by our convictions and back the most liberal candidate each time. I know I did. Each time, too. But where has this idealogical purity gotten us?

That's where Evan Bayh comes in. Evan Bayh is looked upon as a moderate, or, to even some, a conservative Democrat.
But those of us who personally remember his father, Birch Bayh, know that an acorn does not fall far from the tree.

The secret us liberals who are supporting Evan Bayh know? Bayh, as President, will be a lot more liberal than most people think.

Birch Bayh was a pillar of liberalism. He wrote the ERA. He wrote Title IX. Evan knows what his father stood for.
I don't think Evan will want to disappoint his dad. Evan believes in fatherhood too much to ignore Birch's ideals and dreams he knows his son can carry out.

That's why a liberal, like me, can say, hey, it's okay to support Evan Bayh. Because Evan Bayh can WIN. And unless we nominate a Democrat who can win, we will be on the outside looking in for another decade while the Religious Right turns our country into an evangelical fundamentalist regime as Cheney/Bush Jr./Dobson/Robertson are doing now.

We could run Feingold or Hillary in 08. Or John Kerry again. Another liberal. Or, how about Mr. Liberal himself. Yep. We could go whole hog. I'll come out and say it. We could nominate U.S. Senatory Edward M. Kennedy (D-MASS) in 2008 for the pinnacle and cap of his career, and a ray of hope back to Camelot.

But a nomination does not win an election. Look at the map on our AFB.com website home page. Look at all those red states. This isn't 1960. It's 2005. We need a man who can make electorate connections in that vast solid red area. Evan Bayh knows how. He's done it for five elections in a row in Indiana. More votes than Cheney/Bush Jr. got in Indiana in 2004, in fact.

I will never stray from my liberal roots. I took the political compass test and scored:

>Economic Left/Right: -8.50
>Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85

That's almost off the left side of the grid.

But I've been here since November 10th (and actually, on record, before) because I want a win in 2008.

And THIS TIME we found a man who can win red states, Republican votes, and GET ELECTED. My heart may say Hillary or Feingold. But my head says Evan Bayh.
I urge all liberal Democrats to join your brother liberal from California here, and work for the nomination and election of Evan Bayh for U.S. President in 2008.

Remember our secret? It's okay to pass on to other liberals. We know that the Bayh name will never sell out FDR, LBJ, The New Deal, or The Great Society. Us liberals can feel good about, perhaps, President Birch Evans Bayh III's "The Renewed Deal", beginning in 2009.

////////////////////////////////////////
BiLL EARL is a periodic feature of AFB.com and The National Bayh! Network...NB!N

http://www.americansforbayh.com/
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 02:02:25 PM »

I would be fine with a Bayh nomination. While he is fairly conservative for a Democrat, he usually votes on the correct side and still has the same basic core values I have.

My heart says Feingold in 2008, but my head says Bayh or Warner. Bayh could definitely help unify the country.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 02:04:22 PM »

If this guy could convince all the other liberals on the left of the party to vote for the centrist, then maybe they might actually win.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 02:08:31 PM »

Why wouldn't a liberal support Evan Bayh? He's no John Kerry, but he's still a left-wing extremist hack.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 02:11:37 PM »

Why wouldn't a liberal support Evan Bayh? He's no John Kerry, but he's still a left-wing extremist hack.

Any Democrat is a left-wing extremist hack, except for the DINOs, right? Roll Eyes
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 02:12:39 PM »

Any politician to the left of Rick Santorum is a left-wing extremist to you.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 02:30:27 PM »

Any Democrat is a left-wing extremist hack, except for the DINOs, right? Roll Eyes

Would you stop? That icon needs to be eradicated.

A left-wing extremist hack is someone who thinks taxes aren't too high, votes against the Unborn Victims of Violence Act, opposes any kind of federal marriage amendment, and votes against confirming Condi.
skybridge
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 03:29:38 PM »

The secret us liberals who are supporting Evan Bayh know? Bayh, as President, will be a lot more liberal than most people think.

If this comes true then the article makes a good point. After all, Clinton in his autobiography predicts that Bayh might one day win the presidency. However, since Bayh adopted more centrist stances while living off his father's fame (whose liberalism is more impressive in this sense), his success in conservative Indiana may prove to less helpful in a general election than you like to believe. I still don't believe the Democrats will solve their problems by running a moderate. It's this illusion, "Hey, we'll run after the Republican trend and run a moderate. Yeah, let's watch'em call this guy a liberal!" that the GOP will treat a moderate more courteously when they will look for a way to tear any challenger to shreds. What you need here is someone who will stand up to attacks. I'm not saying that Bayh can't, but somebody like Feingold can too. You shouldn't have to compromise principles and follow the opposition's trends and hope to win an election that way. In fact, it's rather doubtful will work.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 05:01:53 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2005, 05:04:02 PM by jfern »

A -3.85 social score isn't really liberal.

Anyways, does anyone know Bayh's position on the Iraq war? He voted for it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 05:05:21 PM »

So did Kerry. The entire Democratic Senate flip-flopped.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 05:06:50 PM »

So did Kerry. The entire Democratic Senate flip-flopped.

Well that was a negative for Kerry, too. But at least Kerry said the war was a mistake. Has Bayh said anything?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 05:07:20 PM »

Bayh has always supported the war.

He has proposed a bill to end the "Patriot Penalty" so that soliders won't have their pay cut once they come back from the war.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 05:08:08 PM »

I'd rather just exempt their families from income tax.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 05:09:26 PM »

Bayh has always supported the war.

He has proposed a bill to end the "Patriot Penalty" so that soliders won't have their pay cut once they come back from the war.

Pro-war is a definite negative when it comes to the primary. And if they don't admit it's a mistake, it will hurt them in the general election too. Kerry did ok since he admitted it was a mistake, but it would have been better if he hadn't voted for the war in the first place.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 05:10:12 PM »

I'd rather just exempt their families from income tax.

Some of them probably make so little money that they don't pay income tax, especially if they have a family.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 05:10:41 PM »

A left-wing extremist hack is someone who thinks taxes aren't too high, votes against the Unborn Victims of Violence Act, opposes any kind of federal marriage amendment, and votes against confirming Condi.

You've just described what I would consider a decent moderate Republican.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 05:14:58 PM »

Bayh also voted for the bankruptcy bill. Not good. Even a lot of Christian groups opposed that.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00044
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 05:18:46 PM »

According to your link, so did 3/4 of the Senate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 05:21:22 PM »

According to your link, so did 3/4 of the Senate.

Not exactly the Senate's finest hour. Even a lot of conservative blogs opposed that bill. Just because it got a lot of Senators to vote for it doesn't mean that it's popular with citizens who were following it. Basically the Senators who voted for it are all hoping for lots of money from credit card companies.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »

I am very happy with the bill, and I'm no credit card company. It enrages my sense of justice that people don't pay their debts.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 05:24:38 PM »

Bayh also voted for the bankruptcy bill. Not good.

Ugh, that is shameful.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 05:25:49 PM »

I am very happy with the bill, and I'm no credit card company. It enrages my sense of justice that people don't pay their debts.

They can't pay.  That's what unsecured credit is all about - you pay if you can, and if you can't, big deal, the lender loses.  That's why they can charge 22% interest.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 05:27:21 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2005, 05:32:12 PM by jfern »

Maybe your attitude would change given the fact that half of people who declare bankruptcy do so because of large medical bills. Sure some people are just fiscally irresponsible, like the President. but what about all the people who are declaring bankruptcy for legitimate reasons?

Anyways, the bankruptcy process now works much better for companies than individuals. That's f**cked up.

votes of people mentioned for 2008:
Yes:
Bayh, Biden
No:
Boxer, Feingold, Kerry, Obama
In addition, Hillary would have voted no if she was there.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 05:31:59 PM »

Maybe your attitude would change given the fact that half of people who declare bankruptcy do so because of large medical bills.

I've read that about 50% of bankruptcy filings are due to medical bills (due to lack of health insurance or inadequate health insurance). Another large percentage is due to divorce. Only a minority of bankruptcy cases are due to fiscal irresponsibility.

So yeah, the bankruptcy bill sucks. The credit card companies can change your interest rate from 8% to 25% without any reason, totally screwing over the consumer.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 05:33:38 PM »

Senator Kennedy tried to have a homeowner's exemption for people who large medical bills, but it got shot down. Get sick, and lose your house now.

Also Instapundit, JustOneMinute, Tactitus, and Red State all opposed it. For more information, go here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18241.msg392781#msg392781
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies