NYT: Republicans argue over whether to attack Obama's "competence"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT: Republicans argue over whether to attack Obama's "competence"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYT: Republicans argue over whether to attack Obama's "competence"  (Read 577 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2014, 01:11:59 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

snip:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/us/politics/strategists-see-double-edge-in-raising-competency-argument-in-campaigns.html?_r=0

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »

Lmao, the house GOP can't even agree to pass their own version of legislation and they really think they point to Obama being the incompetent one in Washington?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »

Wake me up when the Republicans start actually proposing policies instead of just attacking Obama.
I guess I'll beat Rip Van Winkle's record.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »

The thing is, no one looks to Congress of all places for leadership. That's why we have a president.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »

The thing is, no one looks to Congress of all places for leadership. That's why we have a president.

Lol, this is like telling someone to walk after you cut off his legs.

This whole "leadership" crap is one of the dumbest criticisms I have heard and it makes me think that civic classes should be mandatory every ten years so morons can understand how their government works.

The government doesn't function because a selected few in congress doesn't allow it to do it's job.  I mean **** like paying our bills(debt celling) was like pulling teeth. All this talk about Obama's lack leadership is deflecting blame from the real reason why the government doesn't work, which is the house GOP.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »

I didn't say anything about the government "functioning." The only place where I think the leadership criticism of a president is valid is in foreign affairs. Maybe also in communicating your proposals to the electorate (you can say what you want, but Obama really flopped when it came to telling people what the ACA actually did).

In the end, it doesn't stop government from functioning (although I still think a Bill Clinton-type figure would've done a better job negotiating Congress), but I don't think discussions on presidential leadership are worth nil.

And although Congressional leadership may be more important, my point stills stands: Right or wrong, voters look to the president for steady leadership, not John Boehner or Nancy Pelosi.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »

I thought the Republicans didn't want government to function.
KCDem

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »

This isn't ancient Rome. Modern society doesn't have leaders. It has bureaucrats working within a bureaucracy. People want the trains to run on time and the mail delivered, not hear another speech about what exceptional people they are.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:18:03 AM »

I didn't say anything about the government "functioning." The only place where I think the leadership criticism of a president is valid is in foreign affairs. Maybe also in communicating your proposals to the electorate (you can say what you want, but Obama really flopped when it came to telling people what the ACA actually did).

In the end, it doesn't stop government from functioning (although I still think a Bill Clinton-type figure would've done a better job negotiating Congress), but I don't think discussions on presidential leadership are worth nil.

And although Congressional leadership may be more important, my point stills stands: Right or wrong, voters look to the president for steady leadership, not John Boehner or Nancy Pelosi.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies