Opinion of "GauchoGate" (= German footballers dissing the Argentinian losers)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:16:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of "GauchoGate" (= German footballers dissing the Argentinian losers)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the scene below at the Brandenburg Gate Victory Parade ?
Massive FF !

It's OK.

They shouldn't have done it, but the song is not diminishing the performance of Germany in the WC

It's not OK/It's inappropriate.

Racists ! Nazis !

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of "GauchoGate" (= German footballers dissing the Argentinian losers)  (Read 2742 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »
« edited: July 19, 2014, 12:41:32 AM by True Federalist »

Actually the most revealing thing about this non-scandal is that it shows that German footballers have enough knowledge of South American stereotypes to have some idea of what a 'Gaucho' is, which I suspect is highly unlikely to be true of certain other countries....

I think your average American would likely know that a gaucho is a Latin American cowboy.  Highly doubtful one would know that it is strongly associated with Argentina, but they'd get the general gist.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 02:24:33 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I think, it is more the other way around. In Germany, Gaucho is used as a nickname for the Argentinian football squad since Menschengedenken (since man can remember), and many people probably do not know where that comes from and that there are Gauchos outside of Argentina.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »

Actually the most revealing thing about this non-scandal is that it shows that German footballers have enough knowledge of South American stereotypes to have some idea of what a 'Gaucho' is, which I suspect is highly unlikely to be true of certain other countries....

I think your average American would likely know that a gaucho is a Latin American cowboy.  Highly doubtful one would know that it is strongly associated with Argentina, but they'd get the general gist.
Indeed.  Every year in grade school/middle school we'd spend maybe 20 minutes reading the 8 paragraphs that made up the South American section of our Social Studies book.  There would inevitably be a picture like this

and maybe 3 sentences explaining the pampas.  We'd also get a paragraph dedicated to Simón Bolívar.  Maybe even two, he was very popular.  But like church, it ended up being the same handful of stories over and over again.  Incas, check.  Andes, check.  Spanish, check.  Simón Bolívar, check.  Amazon, check.  Maybe a little something about Tierra Del Fuego and that really dry desert the name of I forget right now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 03:34:41 AM »

Thomas Griesa and Paul Singer are Americans and not Germans, so I don't think Argentina is too pissed at Germany.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies