Why is no one talking about Andrew Cuomo?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:34:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why is no one talking about Andrew Cuomo?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is no one talking about Andrew Cuomo?  (Read 2419 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »

Obviously segments of the progressive base has problems with him but his family legacy is an asset and he is positioned to dominate in his reelection campaign. He has shown he can a. work with Republicans and b. pass progressive laws at the same time. Cuomo may just be the next Bill Clinton (sorry Hillary). We know we are stuck with a Republican house so why shouldn't Democrats work to maximize their ability to make progress despite that depressing disturbance? If Hillary doesn't run or makes too many mistakes, who is seriously going to think someone like O'Malley or Jay Nixon could stop Governor Cuomo? It would be poetic justice too since Clinton only got elected in 1992 because Governor Cuomo did not run.

If Hillary doesn't run, who could stop Andrew Cuomo?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »

Cuomo could kill in a general election. But sadly would be hard for him to win the nomination, but not impossible.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:24:52 PM »

In a race without Hillary or Biden, Cuomo would be the Joe Lieberman. he'd initially be the frontrunner, but after people got to know what he stood for, he'd crash and burn.
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2014, 08:14:50 AM by cbannon5 »

Presuming that Hillary Clinton does not run, I think it is pretty likely that field would look something like this:
VP Biden
Gov. Cuomo
Gov. O'Malley
An insurgent progressive (Sanders, Kucinich, Feingold, etc.)
Amy Klobuchar / Kirsten Gillebrand (thanks Mr. Morden)

If Hillary doesn't run, VP Biden could certainly stop Andrew Cuomo.  It is hard to tell what significant Democratic constituency would provide Cuomo a base.  How would Cuomo appeal to African Americans, Hispanics, single women, anti war activists, progressives, union members, students, etc?  

Furthermore, even if neither Hillary nor Biden runs (I think a highly unlikely scenario), Gov. O'Malley could stop Andrew Cuomo.  While neither is very charismatic (comparatively), I think Gov. O'Malley is a more compelling figure (as both a Mayor and a Governor).  Meanwhile, O'Malley is a more consistent liberal than Andrew Cuomo and, thereby, probably more in line with the majority or plurality of the Democratic base.  Also, as DGA Chairman and a political-climber, O'Malley has already made many trips to states like New Hampshire and Iowa, meeting with party leaders and activists.  

To put it briefly, I think that Andrew Cuomo is very unlikely to be the Democratic nominee in 2016.  
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:34:21 PM »

Cuomo could kill in a general election. But sadly would be hard for him to win the nomination, but not impossible.

Just curious, why do you think Cuomo would "kill" in a general election?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »

Presuming that Hillary Clinton does not run, I think it is pretty likely that field would look something like this:
VP Biden
Gov. Cuomo
Gov. O'Malley
An insurgent progressive (Sanders, Kucinich, Feingold, etc.)

Klobuchar's made several trips to Iowa, and there's a good chance that she'll run if Clinton doesn't.  There'd certainly be a wide open space for a woman to run if Clinton stayed out, so *someone* will jump at the chance.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:47 AM »

Actually, we don't know we're stuck with a Republican House. In a presidential year with big enough Democratic coattails, it could potentially flip.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 02:52:05 AM »

Interesting point that Dems are potentially stuck with a Republican House for a long time, and hence should look for someone who is most capable of handling a Republican House (or Congress). I'm not sure if I agree with either the point itself or about Cuomo being particularly suited for such a situation, but I have to say that that's interesting.

Anyway, Cuomo has pissed off liberals too much and he doesn't really have a particularly strong base or brand. Yes, his father was pretty important back in the day, but the Cuomo family isn't on the level of the Kennedys. His greatest legislative accomplishment (at least in a Dem primary), legalizing gay marriage, doesn't look quite as impressive now that it's becoming common across the country. His other great liberal accomplishment, gun control laws, could be a major liability in the general election. Imo, he's talked about as a second-tier contender, which I think is about right.
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »

He has shown he can a. work with Republicans and b. pass progressive laws at the same time.

A problem with this statement is that New York Republicans are not, for the most part, as conservative or as ideologically rigid as the House Republican Caucus.  So I'm not too sure that his ability to deal with NY Republicans will necessarily carryover to the dealing with the House GOP.  All though I guess it could still work as a good talking point for him. 
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »

He hasn't made any trips to the early primary states, and if he wins reelection, he may do so in December and wait for Hillary's decision. If she doesn't run, I see it being a race between Cuomo vs. O'Malley. Cuomo is seen as too DLC/DINO. O'Malley may win the nomination due to being "more liberal", and Cuomo may be a VP choice for O'Malley (but not likely IMO). If Cuomo wins, he'll have to shore up the base (black voters, Hispanics, women, young voters).
Alreet
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »

My understanding is that Cuomo has taken very little concrete steps to run. He didn't even speak to the whole 2012 convention, instead opting to talk to the NY state delegation. Combine that with his perceived moderateness, and there's a lack of buzz for him in 2016.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »

There are two reasons for this:

1. He's the worst.

2. He would struggle to win a primary, absent a self-destruction spree from which he benefits ala the Republican primary of 2012.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »

I would consider voting for him if someone like Santorum or Cruz got the nomination.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »

I would consider voting for him if someone like Santorum or Cruz got the nomination.

Well, how about that. Someone with the name "Rockefeller GOP" night vote for a Rockefeller Republican (Cuomo).
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »

Well, how about that. Someone with the name "Rockefeller GOP" night vote for a Rockefeller Republican (Cuomo).

It does seem that Andrew Cuomo is the Jon Huntsman of the Democratic Party.  Democrats like Huntsman more than Republicans do and Republicans like Cuomo more than Democrats do. 
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »

I would not say he's conservative enough to be a Republican of any era, but he's a heck of a lot better than most Democrats and certainly better than Santorum, who'd be running to his left fiscally.
Panda Express

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »

Because if Andrew Cuomo wins, the senate is guaranteed to turn Republican no matter what.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »

Because if Andrew Cuomo wins, the senate is guaranteed to turn Republican no matter what.
Nah. Provided the republicans gain less than 8 senate seats this cycle (If Angus King caucuses with them, that would count as gaining a seat under this calculation), they won't have the senate after 2016 no matter what (as I don't see the republicans winning more than 1 out of PA, IL, and WI in 2016).
Panda Express

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 11:26:04 PM »

Nah. Provided the republicans gain less than 8 senate seats this cycle (If Angus King caucuses with them, that would count as gaining a seat under this calculation), they won't have the senate after 2016 no matter what (as I don't see the republicans winning more than 1 out of PA, IL, and WI in 2016).

If Andrew Cuomo is elected,  the numbers won't matter. The senate will turn Republican.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 11:34:57 PM »

He's shown he can a. collude with Republicans to destroy Democratic legislative majorities and b. pass superficially 'progressive' laws to mask his role in the transformation of his party into Lib-Dems West at the same time.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 11:47:01 PM »

If a President Cuomo were to replicate what he's done in NY, he'd convince a few Senate Democrats to caucus with the Republicans.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 12:29:36 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2014, 12:49:15 AM by GM Napoleon »

I'm not in the mood to discuss what an actual Cuomo presidency might be like, I am more interested in hearing opinions about this electoral possibility as far as winning the primary and the presidency. He's proven to be a solid vote getter so far. O'Malley and Biden are not realistic options.

Edit: I didn't mean to suggest that I believe the Democratic nominee should take the work to maximize their ability to make progress despite that depressing disturbance approach...I offer it as a likely talking point to sell Cuomo to those who may feel some dissatisfaction with his record as Governor.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 01:01:10 AM »

Right, the President just signs or vetoes on a party line bills that just pass on a party line. The President does not nominate people, negotiate treaties, issue executive orders, and isn't commander in chief or head of state. The President has no leadership powers, and can not sway public opinion. All that matters is their party. Cleveland and FDR were identical Presidents because they were both Democrats.
DS0816
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 03:06:14 AM »

I'd like to know why anyone thinks the Democrats should nominate another corporatist—let alone New York Governor Andrew Cuomo?
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »

Here's how I would predict a showdown between Cuomo and O'Malley would turnout.  Cuomo is in blue and O'Mallley is in red. I see Cuomo as winning most of the Northeast and then winning an assortment of red-states. 

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies