Why isn't Manchin a Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:02:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why isn't Manchin a Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why isn't Manchin a Republican?  (Read 13779 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »

He's more conservative than even some Reps in the senate, and for all intents and purposes his policies line up more with theirs than the Dems. I think that, much like King, if the senate switches, he'll give everything serious thought. But why is Manchin a Democrat in the first place, and will he switch as the Republican Party's power continues to grow in West Virginia? That's my only explanation for anything he does. Being a Democrat is, for now, still
a safer way of being elected locally in WV.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:24:05 PM »

Because he's a democrat.

He sides with the Dems on economic purposes. And economy is the most important.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:28:50 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2014, 05:31:01 PM by TheHawk »

Because he's a democrat.

He sides with the Dems on economic purposes. And economy is the most important.

Do most Dems actively pursue a balanced bipartisan budget and a CAREFULLY planned stimulus instead of throwing money and hoping it does something? Oh and he actually supports cutting corporate taxes, a big Democrat no-no.

Honestly he won't fit perfectly anywhere. He'd be called a RINO as much as he is currently called a DINO.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »

In West Virginia, Conservative Democrats are quite common. There are more registered Democrats than Republicans and the Democrats get elected to statewide office more than Republicans (both senators and the governor are Dems), despite the state heavily voting GOP in presidential elections.

Manchin is conservative by his party's standards, but he would be called a RINO and not welcomed in the modern Republican Party. His party registration is a reflection of his home state's politics.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »

I think Bacon nailed it, he represents the political sentiment of his state perfectly.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 06:29:18 PM »

Because he grew up and ran for office in a time where you either were a Democrat or relegated to political obscurity.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »

I see I see. So the last few nominees have been too liberal for them?
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »

Do most Dems actively pursue a balanced bipartisan budget and a CAREFULLY planned stimulus instead of throwing money and hoping it does something?
Roll Eyes
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »

I see I see. So the last few nominees have been too liberal for them?

Maybe, in some ways. The anti-gun and pro-environmental regulation part of the party is probably costing them big time in a state like WV. Obama emphasized his environmentalism in both campaigns and barely ever visited the state. In other words, they didn't feel any connection with Obama or the modern democratic party, and they voted the other way because of it. Its been happening before Obama too, since the early 2000's.
illegaloperation

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 10:57:16 PM »

1. The Democratic Party is a big tent party and he's welcome there.

2. He doesn't want to be primaried by some right wingnut job.

Also, what does this have to do with Presidential Election Trends?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 09:40:40 AM »

Because he's a Democrat.  Susan Collins is a Republican.  John Barrow is a Democrat.  Andrew Jackson was a Democrat.  Abraham Lincoln was a Republican.

Throughout history, they've been two rival teams.  Period.  You pick your team, and most politicians remain with that team for life even if some members of the team's coalition changes.  I'm guessing Manchin's father and grandfather were Democrats, and that's reason enough for him.  Good for him, because that's how I feel about being a New England Republican.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »

West Virginia is a very poor state, it has the highest % of people on disability of any state, it has a substandard infrastructure, it's a given that if you're a Senator, you're trying to grab any federal dollar for the state (that goes for Capito too if she wins her race).  I guess you could compare him to Thad Cochran who represents a similarly poor state and acts accordingly.  Why isn't Cochran a Democrat (I guess teabaggers consider him one at this point)?  Or why is Capito running as a Republican?

NHLiberal

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 01:02:14 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2014, 01:04:14 PM by NHLiberal »

He's more conservative than even some Reps in the senate,  

That is a false statement.

and for all intents and purposes his policies line up more with theirs than the Dems.

That is also a false statement.

if the senate switches, he'll give everything serious thought.

This, too, is a false statement.

But why is Manchin a Democrat in the first place,

Because his political positions have always aligned much more with those of the Democratic Party than the Republican Party, and they continue to do so.

and will he switch as the Republican Party's power continues to grow in West Virginia?

No.

That's my only explanation for anything he does.

That's too bad.

Being a Democrat is, for now, still a safer way of being elected locally in WV.

Indeed, but that's not relevant to Manchin's political party affiliation.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »

West Virginia is currently shifting from Democratic to Republican, but Manchin's rise came in the tail end, so his political career came at a time when conservative Democrats routinely held political office. This was how he was elected to the state legislature in 1986.

And he has done well as a Democrat, elected Secretary of State in 2000, Governor in 2004 and Senator in 2010.

He's now in his late 60s, so why he would want to switch to the other party?

He also likely agrees with Democrats on many economic issues. He might have switched if recent years had seen the rise of big government Republicans, but that's not what happened.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »

Because he's a Democrat.  Susan Collins is a Republican.  John Barrow is a Democrat.  Andrew Jackson was a Democrat.  Abraham Lincoln was a Republican.

Throughout history, they've been two rival teams.  Period.  You pick your team, and most politicians remain with that team for life even if some members of the team's coalition changes.  I'm guessing Manchin's father and grandfather were Democrats, and that's reason enough for him.  Good for him, because that's how I feel about being a New England Republican.

Somehow
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 08:15:52 PM »

1. The Democratic Party is a big tent party and he's welcome there.

2. He doesn't want to be primaried by some right wingnut job.

Also, what does this have to do with Presidential Election Trends?

I was wondering if he would do a soul search after the midterms if Pubs take over, AND he has expressed interest in a presidential run
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »

and for all intents and purposes his policies line up more with theirs than the Dems.

Because his political positions have always aligned much more with those of the Democratic Party than the Republican Party, and they continue to do so.

and will he switch as the Republican Party's power continues to grow in West Virginia?

No.

That's too bad.

I refer you to John McCain
NHLiberal

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 09:19:09 PM »

No.

That's too bad.

I refer you to DW Nominate
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 01:34:39 AM »

No.

That's too bad.

1. Kirk, Portman, Collins, Grassley, perhaps McCain - all to the left of Manchin. Granted, it's not as if there are no other senate democrats who are as conservative are almost as conservative as Manchin is - Heidi Heitkamp comes to mind.

2. Depends on the issue

3. Well, in order to fit in to the republican caucus he'd have to start opposing ObamaCare. But other than that, his positions are republican enough to be in the caucus. Not saying he's going to switch, just saying most of his positions aren't so democratic that he can't.

4. Manchin is a democrat because that was the way you got elected locally in WV back when he was elected Governor (the streak seems to be ending, assuming a Capito Victory in November). He stayed in that party when he moved to the senate because there was no need for him to switch. Again, the question of whether his positions line up more with republicans or with democrats depends on the exact issue you're talking about.

5. Chances are he won't switch, but who knows?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »

He's a democrat because he's ideologically closer to Bernie Sanders than any Republican in the senate. Nothing more to it.

He's more conservative than even some Reps in the senate
lol
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »

No.

That's too bad.

I refer you to reality
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »

Somehow

The point is that she IS.  People can register as whatever the heck they want; they don't have to march lockstep with their party platform like a mindless sheep and refusing to do so does not make one a "RINO" or "DINO."
NHLiberal

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »

Somehow

The point is that she IS.  People can register as whatever the heck they want; they don't have to march lockstep with their party platform like a mindless sheep and refusing to do so does not make one a "RINO" or "DINO."

Exactly. And that aside, Susan Collins is still SIGNIFICANTLY more conservative than Joe Manchin and John Barrow despite what their aesthetic may be. There is no Republican in Congress to the left of any Democrat in Congress.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 08:20:25 AM »

West Virginia is currently shifting from Democratic to Republican, but Manchin's rise came in the tail end, so his political career came at a time when conservative Democrats routinely held political office. This was how he was elected to the state legislature in 1986.

And he has done well as a Democrat, elected Secretary of State in 2000, Governor in 2004 and Senator in 2010.

He's now in his late 60s, so why he would want to switch to the other party?

He also likely agrees with Democrats on many economic issues. He might have switched if recent years had seen the rise of big government Republicans, but that's not what happened.

No.

WV Senate: 27 Democrats, 10 Republicans
WV House of Delegates: 53 Democrats, 47 Republicans
A Democrat has occupied the Governor's mansion since 2001, both US Senate seats since the late-1950s (though this is likely getting ready to change), the AG office from 1933 until last year, and save for the four years between 2005 and 2009, the SOS office since 1977.

Yes, Obama lost the state twice in huge landslides. And no, I'm not from West Virginia. But from the information we have available to us, Democrats still run things.

Joe Manchin's political views likely accurately represent the political views of most Democrats in West Virginia. And that is why he's a Democrat.
NHLiberal

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »

No.

That's too bad.

1. Kirk, Portman, Collins, Grassley, perhaps McCain - all to the left of Manchin. Granted, it's not as if there are no other senate democrats who are as conservative are almost as conservative as Manchin is - Heidi Heitkamp comes to mind.

2. Depends on the issue

3. Well, in order to fit in to the republican caucus he'd have to start opposing ObamaCare. But other than that, his positions are republican enough to be in the caucus. Not saying he's going to switch, just saying most of his positions aren't so democratic that he can't.

4. Manchin is a democrat because that was the way you got elected locally in WV back when he was elected Governor (the streak seems to be ending, assuming a Capito Victory in November). He stayed in that party when he moved to the senate because there was no need for him to switch. Again, the question of whether his positions line up more with republicans or with democrats depends on the exact issue you're talking about.

5. Chances are he won't switch, but who knows?

You have no grasp of their political ideologies then. I get that it's fun to talk about liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats and what not but the fact is that every reputable ideology scale shows Manchin- and every other Democrat in Congress- significantly to the left of any Republican in Congress.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies