SC-PPP (for SCDP): Haley up 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:55:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  SC-PPP (for SCDP): Haley up 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC-PPP (for SCDP): Haley up 3  (Read 2067 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »

Report.

Haley (R)- 49%
Shaheen (D)- 46%
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:13:58 PM »

Junk poll?
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:15:03 PM »

Surely Haley's attack on Obama will cause this tighten, correct ?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »

No, this looks a lot like 2010 actually
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 05:07:12 PM »

Good news if we can steal race, since tea party support is lagging due to Graham's amnesty stance.
NHLiberal

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »

This looks about right.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »

Way too favorable for Shaheen
illegaloperation

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »

Not really. South Carolina is a 55-45 state and Shaheen is a good candidate.

It's shame that the state is so inelastic.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:11:59 PM »

Quasi-internal, so skepticism etc.
NHLiberal

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 08:36:28 AM »

Shaheen is the senior Senator from New Hampshire. She is not running in South Carolina. You may be thinking of Vincent Sheheen, the next Governor of South Carolina.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »

Really? Because last time Sheheen ran for governor, he did better than this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 01:22:06 AM »

Shaheen is the senior Senator from New Hampshire. She is not running in South Carolina. You may be thinking of Vincent Sheheen, the next Governor of South Carolina.

So you're predicting that he'll win in 2018?  I can't really think of any reason why people who voted for Haley in 2014 would be likely to vote for Sheheen this time.  If anything, I'd argue for the reverse given that Haley has the benefit of a State economy that has improved considerably more than the national economy over the past four years.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 01:40:45 AM »

Really? Because last time Sheheen ran for governor, he did better than this.
Haley was seen as an unknown risk and the State economy was much worse in 2010 than it is now.  How Haley will do as governor is now a known quantity and the economy has improved considerably in the last four years.  In four years we've gone from 45th in the nation in our unemployment rate (10.7%, 1.2% higher than the nation) to 18th in the nation (5.3%, 1.0% lower than the national rate).  If we were a more elastic State, Haley would have a chance to crack 60%, as it is the best she can probably hope for is a 10% margin over Sheheen, but I would be shocked if she doesn't improve on her 2010 results.  The utter failure of the Tea Party in any of the GOP statewide primaries to defeat establishment candidates means that moderates who might have been scared off won't be.
NHLiberal

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »

So you're predicting that he'll win in 2018?  I can't really think of any reason why people who voted for Haley in 2014 would be likely to vote for Sheheen this time.  If anything, I'd argue for the reverse given that Haley has the benefit of a State economy that has improved considerably more than the national economy over the past four years.

Yes. Sheheen will win in 2018. He will win reelection in 2018.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »

This is a PPP internal, so this is a mixed bag, but I'd prefer Quinnipiac in this situation.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »

I think this is probably favorable to Sheheen, especially when PPP does it for a liberal outlet, they usually have results that are slightly D slanted. I will be surprised if Haley can't get over 51% in the polling.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »

The only way Sheheen could possibly be running for reelection in 2018 would be if he defeats Mulvaney for the 5th district in 2016.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 11:31:29 PM »

So you're predicting that he'll win in 2018?  I can't really think of any reason why people who voted for Haley in 2014 would be likely to vote for Sheheen this time.  If anything, I'd argue for the reverse given that Haley has the benefit of a State economy that has improved considerably more than the national economy over the past four years.

The only way Sheheen could possibly be running for reelection in 2018 would be if he defeats Mulvaney for the 5th district in 2016.
Which is unlikely since he has a career as is in a non-term-limited State Senate. If I were him, I would challenge the weaker Rice in SC-7 considering they both represent Chesterfield (though he would have to run in 2016 to have a chance at winning, so he would probably have to give up his seat to do that) or maybe try for Governor again when the seat is open? Those are probably his best and only options.

As for the poll, if the best the state party can do is barely hold Haley below the 50% mark, then I don't know what to say. The chances of unseating Deal or Haley are fading away, and fast.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 03:22:03 AM »

Which is unlikely since he has a career as is in a non-term-limited State Senate. If I were him, I would challenge the weaker Rice in SC-7 considering they both represent Chesterfield (though he would have to run in 2016 to have a chance at winning, so he would probably have to give up his seat to do that) or maybe try for Governor again when the seat is open? Those are probably his best and only options.

Sheheen was born, raised, and has lived all his life in Camden, which is in Kershaw County, which is in the 5th.  He'd have to carpetbag to face Rice, so if for some improbable reason Sheheen were to go after a Congressional seat it needs to be Mulvaney's.  Mulvaney isn't all that much stronger than Rice and certainly not enough to face the downside of being called a carpetbagger. I certainly wasn't suggesting such a run as a desirable option for him, just that it was the only option that could even remotely give him a chance to be running for reelection in 2018 for any office.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:00 AM »

WYFF News 4 will have a new poll out later today for SC, most likely from SurveyUSA:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies