Yet another brave defender of the American home
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:09:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Yet another brave defender of the American home
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yet another brave defender of the American home  (Read 1472 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Oops.  Of course, that assumes it was an accident, tho proving otherwise if it weren't may be difficult.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »

She was threatening him. She came in wearing a hoodie and drinking an iced tea. She didn't look like she belonged there or was from around that part of town. I mean, what was he supposed to do?

I WILL NOT LET THE LIBERALS TAKE AWAY MUH FREEDOM TO USE LETHAL FORCE TO DEFEND MUH HOME FROM MUH WIFE!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:18:30 PM »

Well if she polished his shotgun too hard and too fast, no wonder it went off.  Duh.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:19:54 PM »

As sad as this is, gun accidents happen. Do we need a thread with calls for gun bans everytime somebody is killed with a gun anywhere?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »

As sad as this is, gun accidents happen. Do we need a thread with calls for gun bans everytime somebody is killed with a gun anywhere?
So long as the gun nuts cling to the delusion that their homes are generally safer if a gun is there, no matter whether or not the owner is competent, yes.  So long as they cling to the delusion that the problem with society is we don't have enough guns, yes.  So long as the gun nuts are so paranoid that any form of regulation is called a gun ban, yes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »

So long as the gun nuts cling to the delusion that their homes are generally safer if a gun is there, no matter whether or not the owner is competent, yes.  So long as they cling to the delusion that the problem with society is we don't have enough guns, yes.  So long as the gun nuts are so paranoid that any form of regulation is called a gun ban, yes.
Should the pistol in my house be taken from my dad because of this guy's f[inks]kup?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »

Gaffney? What is Frank Underwood up to now?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »

Should the pistol in my house be taken from my dad because of this guy's f[inks]kup?

No, but he should be required to have training and be tested so as to have a license, just as we do with the other deadly implement commonly found in American homes, the automobile.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »

No, but he should be required to have training and be tested so as to have a license, just as we do with the other deadly implement commonly found in American homes, the automobile.
That is already the law, at least down here. It was years ago when he bought it and I didn't even know we had it until earlier this month, because it sits unloaded and locked in a safe. In fact, he kept that entire safe at his workplace until my youngest brother went into the group home, and still didn't bring it home until last year (which is when my youngest brother started going into work with him).

I'd argue that 99% of gun owners are as responsible as my father is.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »

That is already the law, at least down here.

I thought you lived in Florida?  Florida only requires a license if you want to conceal carry.  I mean a license simply to possess, regardless of how you use it.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »

I don't see calls for gun bans anywhere in this thread. Do Republicans need to equate the mere acknowledgement that guns often create more problems than they are intended to prevent, with calling for a wholesale ban on guns?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »

Only a good guy with a gun can stop a... wait, no.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 03:12:29 PM »

No, but it should be made clear that your dad, by choosing to keep a pistol in his house, has taken an action that increases the likelihood that a firearm death will occur in his home.

I think the best way to reduce this particular sort of gun violence isn't on the ownership side, but on the penalty side. If we, say, treat any and all accidental firearm deaths as manslaughter and prosecute the person using the gun and the owner of the gun (if that's someone else), with a requirement that jail time be part of the sentence, the only people who will continue to keep guns in their homes will be the people who genuinely do "need" them (i.e. someone who lives in a very dangerous neighborhood - not a Zimmerman-style gated community; someone out in the boonies who keeps shotguns to hunt for food) because the consequences of their possible misuse will outweigh the benefits of keeping them there. And those who do keep them will take far better care to ensure they are properly stored.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 03:17:07 PM »

Apparently. Just following Rahm Emanuel's order..
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »

I still want to know if a little blood flows "down there" when they read these stories for the first time.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »

That is already the law, at least down here.

I thought you lived in Florida?  Florida only requires a license if you want to conceal carry.  I mean a license simply to possess, regardless of how you use it.
Ah, well, like I said, it has been a long time since the gun was purchased. He does not take it on his person, so I guess he didn't go through the hurdles he would have to go through in other states.

My great-Uncle is a definition of a gun-nut and he has wanted my mom (who is very petite) to buy a gun for years, and he told her that a shooting test was part of the deal. But I assumed he meant for concealed carry in hindsight.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »

I mean a license simply to possess, regardless of how you use it.
Ah, well, like I said, it has been a long time since the gun was purchased. He does not take it on his person, so I guess he didn't go through the hurdles he would have to go through in other states.

There are very few States with hurdles.  Only thirteen States and DC require any sort of license or permit to own or acquire a gun.  In six states, their requirements apply only to handguns.  Another three (technically four, California's registration and training requirement currently applies to handguns, but will apply to all guns as of next year) add additional requirements on handguns not found on long guns.  Only seven states require training and of those only four require it of all guns, with the other three only requiring it for handguns.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 02:02:39 AM »

I don't see calls for gun bans anywhere in this thread. Do Republicans need to equate the mere acknowledgement that guns often create more problems than they are intended to prevent, with calling for a wholesale ban on guns?

People have long stopped trying to understand their political opponents, why they might think the way they do, and how they might be worked with to create commonly beneficial solutions to real problems. It's easier to demonize, dehumanize, and spread lies through rote repetition.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies