Am I a liberal Republican or a conservative Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:17:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Am I a liberal Republican or a conservative Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Am I a liberal Republican or a conservative Democrat?  (Read 2116 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »

I can't decide, if I had to register with one party to run for office, which party I would align with more. A bit about my views:

• In favor of removing government entirely from marriage, but, barring that, in favor of legalizing gay marriage
• Opposed to abortion, but with exceptions
• In favor of middle-class tax cuts
• In favor of comprehensive immigration reform
Opposed to an interventionist foreign policy
• In favor of moderate gun-control reforms
• Believe in man-caused global warming
In favor of a strictly enforced work-requirement for able-bodied welfare recipients
Opposed to increasing the minimum wage, but not rigidly so (could be persuaded with evidence, but haven't familiarized myself enough)
In favor of a balanced-budget amendment

So, am I a republican or a democrat?

Taking those positions into account, you're actually signifcantly to the right of me and I consider myself a moderate-to-conservative Southern Republican.

Those same positions make you uniquely unsuited to be a Democrat as well. 

You could actually do quite well in a Tea Party/Libertarian type mold if you ask me.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 04:42:39 PM »

Conservative Democrat, obviously. You could have fit into the GOP 15-20 years ago, but nowadays they shun people that are even to your right. Welcome to the tent.

In IL his views would fit in fine with the GOP today, particularly in suburban Chicago. Tongue
There are hardly any of those Republicans left in suburban Chicago.  They've been joining the Dems in droves since Clinton's election.

I would strongly disagree overall, though I agree many of them voted for Clinton and Obama, they didn't like Kerry in 2004 and Bush got their vote. Even today there are still lots of those Pubs in my area. They are in local offices and they make up a lot of voters. Mark Kirk tapped into them in 2010 and so far it looks like Rauner intends to use them in this year's election for Gov.
Then why did Kerry take Illinois by such a wide margin?  And, for that matter, why did Gore as well?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 07:18:26 PM »

Conservative Democrat, obviously. You could have fit into the GOP 15-20 years ago, but nowadays they shun people that are even to your right. Welcome to the tent.

In IL his views would fit in fine with the GOP today, particularly in suburban Chicago. Tongue
There are hardly any of those Republicans left in suburban Chicago.  They've been joining the Dems in droves since Clinton's election.

I would strongly disagree overall, though I agree many of them voted for Clinton and Obama, they didn't like Kerry in 2004 and Bush got their vote. Even today there are still lots of those Pubs in my area. They are in local offices and they make up a lot of voters. Mark Kirk tapped into them in 2010 and so far it looks like Rauner intends to use them in this year's election for Gov.
Then why did Kerry take Illinois by such a wide margin?  And, for that matter, why did Gore as well?

Due to the Cook County Democratic Party machine.
Hamster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 07:28:21 PM »

You're a southern white democrat.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »

You are a Falconist.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: