Romney's Mormon Faith Could Hurt '08 Run, Political Observers Say
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:14:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Romney's Mormon Faith Could Hurt '08 Run, Political Observers Say
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney's Mormon Faith Could Hurt '08 Run, Political Observers Say  (Read 3249 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2005, 01:13:14 PM »

Romney is a devout member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, more commonly known as the Mormons. Its members, however, are not considered Christians by a number of other denominations, including the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church, the largest Protestant denominations in America and two faiths whose membership is heavily concentrated in the South.

Given that the South has become a GOP stronghold in recent presidential races, some believe Romney's religion would emerge as an issue there should he seek to become the 44th president.

"I think it likely will matter," said Charles Reagan Wilson, director of the Center for the Study of Southern Culture at the University of Mississippi. "I think he will have to be very savvy and skillful in talking with evangelicals, and I don't know what experience he has doing that."

Wilson, who has heard Baptist ministers denounce Mormonism from the pulpit, said the Latter-day Saints are viewed as "an odd religious phenomenon" by Southern evangelicals, most of whom are Republicans. Aggressive Mormon proselytizing has not helped the religion's image in the region, Wilson said.

"In the South we talk about religion, and so he's got to find a way to diffuse the issue of his religion," he said. "He's got to make morality the issue."

"I think he's got a hard row to hoe," Wilson said.

http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/mcauliffe040105.html
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 01:22:02 PM »

Of course. Anyone who thinks the fundies will just overlook this is seriously delusional. Then again there are people delusional enough to think the fundies will have no problems with Guiliani.
chris allen
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 03:07:19 PM »

What's the difference between Mormons and the Church of Christ? There two different denominations right?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 03:18:54 PM »

Evangelicals aren't going to like Hillary, so if he's the nominee, I don't think Romney has such a tough job to win the South.

In terms of the primary, yeah it could be a problem.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 03:36:02 PM »

The Republican nominee will be chosen by the Born Agins, and they will not choose Romney. 
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 05:01:39 PM »

Evangelicals aren't going to like Hillary, so if he's the nominee, I don't think Romney has such a tough job to win the South.

In terms of the primary, yeah it could be a problem.

I agree, its all going to depend on the Democratic nominee on whether or not Romney wins the south. I really don't think any Democrat can win the deep south. There is a possibility for a Democrat to win states like Missouri, Arkansas, possibly West Virginia, but I doubt it. Florida will deffinitely be in play.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 05:16:22 PM »

If the Democrats ran Bredesen against Romney (yeah right), the GOP's southern base would collapse. But in a more likely situation, the Democrats will go with an ultra-liberal, so evangelicals will vote for a Mormon as the lesser of two evils.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 12:50:21 PM »

The primary, not the general, is the issue.

The religious right won't accept a Mormon or a womanizer as the nominee. If you think Romney or Guiliani have a snowball's chance in hell give me some of what you're on.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 10:02:32 PM »

What's the difference between Mormons and the Church of Christ? There two different denominations right?

They're totally different denominations.  Mormans are a 'little' out of the mainstream, but they are VERY polite.   Church of Christ, on the other hand are typical Protestants, though they don't like musical instruments for some reason.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 11:35:23 PM »

Why would Southerners hate Mormons?

I think the fact that Romney is from Massachusetts would stop him.  The Republican Party insists that Massachusetts is a high-tax, morally inferior state.  Additionally, the Republican machine has to stop him, because they don't want anyone to have a positive opinion of the state where John Kerry and Michael Dukakis came from.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 03:48:30 PM »

If the Democrats ran Bredesen against Romney (yeah right), the GOP's southern base would collapse.

Very true in that particular match-up, but it would only be a temporary collapse, a la 1976.  The South would soon return to the fold once the GOP nominate a 'normal Republican' again.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 04:15:26 PM »

Why would Southerners hate Mormons?

I think the fact that Romney is from Massachusetts would stop him.  The Republican Party insists that Massachusetts is a high-tax, morally inferior state.  Additionally, the Republican machine has to stop him, because they don't want anyone to have a positive opinion of the state where John Kerry and Michael Dukakis came from.

Well, it's less a matter of southerners hating Mormons than certain fundementalist Christians - which just happen to be quite plentyful in the south.   If I understand correctly, they have a theological objection to the addition of books to the bible in (relatively) modern times, and some take it rather personally (Perhaps because faith is considered a deeply personal and emotional endevor).   Though not Mormon myself, I did tour their Salt Lake temple some years ago, and there were fundies right outside passing out hate pamphlets.   The church handled it with class, having signs stating that the protesters were not affiliated with the church above convieniently located trash cans.

Though being from Mass would probably hurt him a lot too.  I would see him as being a long shot - most likely only to come out of a brokered convention if the south splits on a candidate and he picks up widespread support in the rest of the nation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies