The Downfall of David Dewhurst
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:28:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Downfall of David Dewhurst
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Downfall of David Dewhurst  (Read 1336 times)
TX Conservative Dem
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:39:11 PM »

With the likelihood of embattled 3-term incumbent Texas Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst (R) going down in flames on Tuesday night to Tea Party favorite State Senator Dan Patrick (R-Houston). This would result in back to back statewide election losses, leaving Dewhurst at 4-2 . It appears that Dewhurst was never really liked by majority of Texans; despite several advantages: wealthy mega-millionaire from his days in the Oil & Gas industry, military service in the U.S. Air Force, spending several years in the Central Intelligence Agency, ranch owner inducted into the Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame.

Having first been elected Commissioner of the General Land Office in 1998 under the coattails of then Governor George W. Bush (R): first surviving a nasty GOP primary and general election campaign and fast forward 4 years later, winning an ugly dogfight for Lieutenant Governor against former State Comptroller John Sharp (D): 52%-46% and easily won reelection in 2006 and 2010 against weak competition as the state's 2nd most powerful statewide officeholder, a job he's held for more than a decade since January 21, 2003.

But to many people across the Lone Star State, Dewhurst has remained an enigma--and never more so than now. "What makes the man tick is a mystery," said Cal Jillson, professor of Political Science at Southern Methodist University. "And that doesn't help him as a politician. Voters want to feel that they know who the guy is, what his values are, what his commitments are. Dewhurst has never been good at communicating that."

Sure, Dewhurst gets high marks for his grasp of complex issues and feel for public policy, but few people seem sure what lies behind his polite formality. Maybe that's why the Texas GOP has never fully embraced him. In the late '90s, party members fretted that he was a right-winger, not the mainstream "George W. Bush Republican" he claimed to be. Now that the GOP has surged further to the right, he's mistrusted for the opposite reasons.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:58:19 AM »

As an independent, I probably would have voted for Dewhurst the first time around, however, I would love to see Leticia Van de Putte win in November.

Patrick is bat sh**t crazy and I'm surprised he's gone this far in the race. But then again I'm not surprised. I'm almost positive he'll win tonight and most likely in November, but when he starts pushing through the Legislature what he's promising... Republicans are gonna be like "what the f%#$ have we done?!?!"

What are Van de Putte's chances?

Automatically she gets Dallas, Bexar, Travis, El Paso, Hidalgo, and Webb counties... does she get Harris narrowly?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »

Good riddance, there is nothing worse than the pointless REP establishment/fake RINOs.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:51:10 PM »

Van de Putte might get Harris County and I say "MIGHT" since that is Patrick's home turf and due to his Tea Party strength, he'll win the general election by double digits.

Tarrant County likely going to Patrick.

Plus I can see Patrick's TV Ads against Van de Putte getting very UGLY and vicious: using illegal immigrants to slam Van de Putte by using coded words to swing voters such as Independent voters, etc.,

CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:08:30 PM »

Van de Putte might get Harris County and I say "MIGHT" since that is Patrick's home turf and due to his Tea Party strength, he'll win the general election by double digits.

Hold on... you think he'll win by double digits?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »

Due to the fact Davis will drag down the entire Texas Democratic Party down the gutter in November, I do feel Patrick wins by double digits (around 10-12 points).

Haven't seen any TV Ads from Van de Putte at all.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:06:58 PM »

You don't think this is a Clayton Williams/Ann Richards race where Van de Putte narrowly wins because of Patrick's mouth?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »

Good riddance, there is nothing worse than the pointless REP establishment/fake RINOs.
RINOINOs?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 06:16:59 PM »

KTRK-TV Ch. 13 news reporter Ted Oberg asked Patrick if he was running a negative campaign; Patrick denies running a nasty campaign against Dewhurst, he also denies being anti Immigrant and anti Latino.

Patrick also bragged about punking San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro (D) at the Univision debate over illegal immigration.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »

So I take it you're voting for Patrick in November, TCD?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »

My wife, Alicia is trying to convince me to vote for Van de Putte. I've told her I'll have to see how the debates turn out before I make a decision.

Dewhurst should have NEVER ran for reelection this year (after his choke to Cruz in 2012 US Senate race).

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »

Dewhurst should have NEVER ran for reelection this year (after his choke to Cruz in 2012 US Senate race).

I assume that's why you voted against him in the primary?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 06:39:10 PM »

Texas Monthly's Paul Burka thinks Patrick will be gunning for the Texas Governor's Mansion in 2018.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 09:13:39 AM »

You don't think this is a Clayton Williams/Ann Richards race where Van de Putte narrowly wins because of Patrick's mouth?

Patrick can make a Williams/Akin-esque gaffe and still be pretty favored.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »

Texas Monthly's Paul Burka thinks Patrick will be gunning for the Texas Governor's Mansion in 2018.

Texas Monthly was saying that Patrick was going to run for governor in 2010.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 01:34:45 AM »

Texas Monthly was saying that Patrick was going to run for governor in 2010.

I put limited stock in what Paul Burka writes these days. He's not as in tune with the facts on the ground now that he's older and in a more managerial role at TM. The addition of Erica Greider to his blog suggests she's probably going to be his near-term successor, which I think is a great choice.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 01:50:12 AM »

Erica Grieder always comes off as reflexively contrarian to me.

PS - I had to google the spelling of her surname; the I comes before the E.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »

PPP polling had the Van de Putte and Patrick matchup looking like this:

Patrick-51%
Van de Putte-35%

Anglos:
Patrick-64%
Van de Putte-26%
Undecided-10%

African Americans
Van de Putte-72%
Patrick-13%
Undecided-15%

Latinos
Van de Putte-41%
Patrick-35%
Undecided-24%

Others:
Van de Putte-44%
Patrick-30%
Undecided-26%

MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:46 PM »

I don't think that Dan Patrick will get elected as Texas Governor anytime soon, as Greg Abbott could potentially remain in office until the 2020s or 2030s.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »

I'm in agreement with MattRose94 here. I thought Abbott would have this for a while, followed by George P. Bush. I never thought Patrick would stick around that long.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies