Labor Party Spring 2014 Convention - New Orleans, LA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:10:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Spring 2014 Convention - New Orleans, LA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: Labor Party Spring 2014 Convention - New Orleans, LA  (Read 23172 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 02:26:53 AM »

If our goal is to endorse the candidate who would do the most for the least well-off Atlasians, DC is our best choice in the Mideast.

I'd disagree with that.  I'd ask you to look at my record, and endorse me for the Senate seat.

^^seconded

i think ben is by far the best choice here.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 03:53:18 AM »

If our goal is to endorse the candidate who would do the most for the least well-off Atlasians, DC is our best choice in the Mideast.

I'd disagree with that.  I'd ask you to look at my record, and endorse me for the Senate seat.

^^seconded

i think ben is by far the best choice here.
Agreed. Ben was apparently once a Laborite and was a lot more active back then in sponsoring a bill that taxed and regulated online poker and supported equal rights. Njall would have been the best nominee here, but it's the Mideast so Ben is definitely one of the best.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 08:12:22 AM »

Should we endorse a man who calls a group of Laborites that way:

X DC

Fight the godless communist hordes.

Or should we endorse a man that is ideologically and personally nearer to our party, and yet not too liberal for the Mideast?
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 11:02:06 PM »

I too would like to request Labor's endorsement in the Mideast Senate race.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 03:35:37 AM »

Whoops, forgot to sign in

x Tyrion

I'm not sure who to support on this Ben vs. DC issue, but I'd like to hear more.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 04:42:19 PM »

I will second MadmanMotley's request for endorsement. We'll now have three candidates from which to choose.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 04:45:17 PM »

[BYL] Seeing no objections within the 24-hour period, the proposed by-law changes are hereby adopted.

I. CREATION & AMENDMENT OF PARTY BY-LAWS

1. The Chair, along with two Party members appointed by the Chair, will have the initial task of creating any proposed changes to the by-laws and will be in charge of initial changes in subsequent conventions. By-laws are then presented to the members at the convention, with members allowed to make objections and suggest changes to the by-laws.
   a. If there are no objections within 24 hours, the by-laws will be automatically approved.
   b. If there are objections, 24 hours will be given for the members to discuss and make changes as a group; more time can be given by the Politburo if necessary.
   c. Then a 72 hour vote will take place to approve or reject the by-laws.

2. The Chair may, in circumstances and times outside the convention, place on a caucus ballot any revisions, retractions and additions to the Labor Party by-laws assuming the motion receives verbal support from at least 25% of the caucus. If said threshold is attained, a voting booth will be opened immediately to either approve or reject the changes.

II. CREATION & AMENDMENT OF PARTY PLATFORM

1. The Vice Chair, along with two Party members appointed by the Vice Chair, will have the initial task of creating the Party platform and will be in charge of initial changes in subsequent conventions. Platform is then presented to the members, who will then be allowed to make objections and suggest changes to the platform.
   a. If there are no objections within 24 hours, the platform will be automatically approved.
   b. If there are objections, 24 hours will be given for the members to discuss and make changes as a group; more time can be given by the Politburo if necessary.
   c. Then a 72 hour vote will take place to approve or reject the platform.

2. The Vice-Chair may, in circumstances and times outside the convention, place on a caucus ballot any revisions, retractions and additions to the Labor Party platform assuming the motion receives verbal support from at least 25% of the caucus. If said threshold is attained, a voting booth will be opened immediately to either approve or reject the changes.

III. ESTABLISHMENT & MANAGEMENT OF CONVENTIONS

1. The Labor Party Convention will start one month before the Atlasia Presidential Election, with the location of the convention rotating among the five regions of Atlasia in the following order: Mideast, Imperial Dominion, Pacific, Northeast and Midwest.

2. Establishing the next Labor Party Convention shall employ the following process: Each Member is given 24 hours to nominate one city in the given region assigned for the next convention, with the top three (3) nominations being placed on the ballot. Members will be given 24 hours to select their choice.

3. Each Labor Party Convention will have the following agenda:
  a. Updates and amendments of the Party by-laws
  b. Updates and amendments of the Party platform
  c. Endorsements for the upcoming Atlasia Federal Elections
  d. Special and irregular business put forward by the Politburo
  e. Establishment of the date and city for the upcoming convention

IV. ELECTION OF THE POLITBURO

1. Members will have 48 hours to declare that they wish to seek the following positions, beginning on the fourth Friday of February, June and October: Chair, Vice-Chair, General Secretary & Attorney-at-Law. There will then be 72 hours for campaigning, followed by a 48 hour election.

V. ROLES OF THE POLITBURO

1. Chairman
  a. The official leader of the Labor Party, unless there is a Labor Party President
  b. Is in charge of the convention process
  c. Officiates Party voting
  d. Gives the Vice Chairman and the General Secretary goals and objectives for their given jobs
  e. Is in charge of Party political strategy
  f. Is allowed to create and/or appoint other Party officials as he or she sees fit
  g. Is in charge of creating and updating the by-laws at the Party convention with the assistance of a personally-appointed committee
  h. Ensures insubordination by other members of the Politburo is handled within the caucus

2. Vice Chairman
  a. Takes over for the Chairman temporarily if the Chairman requests a leave of absence or has been absent for 48 hours
  b. Is in charge of Party recruitment in order to grow the Party
  c. Responsible for keeping up with business at the Federal and regional levels, and makes sure that the Labor Party has an official stance on each issue; this will be done in collaboration with the rest of the Politburo and the advice of the Party
  d. Deals with logistics and personnel
  e. Is in charge of creating and updating the platform at the Party convention with the assistance of a personally-appointed committee

3. General Secretary
  a. Takes over for the Chairman or Vice Chairman if either the Chairman and Vice Chairman both have requested a leave of absence or both have been absent for 48 hours
  b. Is in charge of candidate recruitment for all levels of government
  c. Is in charge of GOTV operations for both the Party and allied factions, which includes supporters not officially registered with the Party
  d. Serves as a Whip for the Senate, working with Senators to find common ground and support for bills proposed by the Party

4. Attorney-At-Law
 a. The legal advisor for the Politburo, the Labor Party at-large and all Labor Party members
 b. Shall serve as prosecutor or defense attorney for any and all legal cases set forth by individuals, regional governments or the federal government against the Labor Party or its members, as well as cases on behalf of the Labor Party or any of its members that do not seek action against the Party
 c. The Attorney-At-Law shall have sole discretion in accepting cases on behalf of Labor Party members that do not directly pertain to affairs regarding the Party

VI. ENDORSEMENT PROCEDURE

1. All Labor Party candidates in compliance with Sections VII-1a & VII-1b are automatically endorsed by the Party.

2. If there are not enough Labor Party members running in a given election, the Party will then endorse candidates from other parties who agree with the Party's principles and values, allowing our Party to endorse a maximum number of candidates equivalent to the number of open seats in an election.

3. In order to be eligible to receive the endorsement of the Labor Party, the candidate from the other party has to declare that he or she wishes to receive our Party’s endorsement during the endorsement suggestion period, which begins two weeks before the election and ends one week before the election. The candidate must also have a Laborite second the endorsement nomination in order to be placed on the endorsement ballot.

4. Endorsement voting will begin immediately following the endorsement suggestion period and will last for 72 hours. Votes for each non-Party candidate shall be cast and counted either as an affirmative, negative or abstention. An abstention ballot is counted against a candidate's affirmative percentage as it applies in Section VI-6.

5. A non-Party candidate must receive affirmative preference from at least 60% of all endorsement ballots cast in order to receive the endorsement of the Party. In the event there are more candidates with 60%+ affirmative preference than available endorsements, they will be awarded from highest percentage affirmative preference downward.

VII. PRIMARY PROCEDURE

1. All Labor Party candidates are automatically endorsed by the Party, except for the following situations in which there will be a Labor Party Primary:
  a. If there are more Labor Party members running than open spots in a given election
  b. A Labor Party member is a presidential candidate on a cross-party ticket

2. Primaries will take place two (2) weeks before the respective election. Voting will last for 72 hours.

3. The loser is strongly encouraged not to run as an independent, as doing so will result in a loss of position within the Politburo, a denial of access to Labor primaries or the endorsement of the party in the subsequent three (3) Federal elections
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »

[SEN]

Since all three candidates who are running are requesting our endorsement, can't we just start the voting process?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 06:07:31 AM »

[SEN]

Since all three candidates who are running are requesting our endorsement, can't we just start the voting process?

Since all Senate endorsement votes are done at once and with a 7-day open endorsement request period where not all candidates have requested as of yet, no.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »

Distinguished Atlasians of the Laborite Party,

I realize that as chairman of the other large party in this game we have butted heads on a few things and that we may not agree on all issues. But over the years I have done my best in my representation of the IDS to vote the way I thought was best for the region and that has included voting for numerous policies that has caused some heart burn on the right. I know my oponent has stated he would be "more discerning" in his voting record and while I don't believe he has specified what that is I don't hide from the fact that I have made mistakes, but I don't regret having worked with those on the left on several occassions to advance numerous policies that I thought would be beneficial even breaking with my own party to do it.

I am generally a conservative, but when it comes to economy I know from real life experience that the textbook answer rarely works be it on the far right or the far left. I know what poverty is and what it can do to a person. I also know from the game perspective that sometimes an imperfect bill can be better than nothing and at the very least will lead to efforts down the road to improve or better it, that will create a new divide on the matter. I also don't hold grudges and try my best to refrain from taking things personally. President Nix and I had tangled over the summer of last year, yet I still voted for his minimum income proposal. It probably could have used some more work at the time but I view as a foundational aspect to our future policy approaches to addressing poverty and other economic issues and we are better off with it than without it. TNF and I have tangled over many things but we are well on our way to getting a new Co-op bill passed building on what Seatown and I put together back in 2012.

Right now I am working to put together a healthcare framework that while containing a market place, would still maintain Fritzcare transforming it into a public option, would maintain access to preventative care and provide coverage to those who cannot afford it, and definitely will provide high quality care to the veterans, mentally ill and those suffering from pre-existing conditions.

My opponent and I probably both agree with the general consensus with regards to decriminalization and ending the war on drugs. What I have tried to push for though, is now that bridge has been crossed, we need to move the discussion forward and find ways to assist those who are addicted, which often times can overlap with issues of homelessness, mental health and caring for our veterans.

There are numerous other issues that I could discuss but for the sake of length and time, I will this to a close. If you have any questions about these or any other policy areas I can provide you with a detailed response in a townhall or in my campaign thread. I would be greatly honored to have the support of members of the Labor Party in this election. I do consider myself discerning with regards to my votes overall (those few I have missed are typically because I spend too much time doing that), but "concern" for those that struggle is a factor I definately consider when weighing a policy choice.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »

I am aware I don't have some of the economic votes that might endear him with Labor, but I believe Labor also holds into high account the civil libertarian values that I espouse. I support the bicameral legislature proposal pushed by Senator Adam Griffin, I have worked with TNF on substantial bills that grant people more liberty, and I will continue to be an open minded individual. I hope I am at least considered, even though my speech today wasn't as eloquent nor detailed as the one Yankee put out. Thank you.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »

I will second Maxwell's request for our endorsement. Although NC Yankee has been an active and capable Senator for many years now, Maxwell has a good working relationship with many Laborites too and has worked constructively with us on game reform in the past. He would be a great asset to the Senate if returned to office.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »

I'd also like to second Maxwell's request. I think Maxwell has already shown that he can work with Labor, and he did not hesitate when the IDS was in desperate need of an active politician. As he stated, he is a great proponent of civil liberties, and Labor is, among others, the party of civil liberties. Maxwell is the right choice for the IDS and he is the right choice for Labor!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 06:40:12 AM »

Endorsement voting on the Mideast and IDS Senate races will begin after midnight ET tonight. I'm allowing a bit more time for each of the candidates to make an additional speech or appeal to the caucus if they would like.

Please keep in mind the parameters of the upcoming vote. I'll choke a bch who doesn't follow instructions. Cheesy

[quote]4. Endorsement voting will begin immediately following the endorsement suggestion period and will last for 72 hours. Votes for each non-Party candidate shall be cast and counted either as an affirmative, negative or abstention. An abstention ballot is counted against a candidate's affirmative percentage as it applies in Section VI-6.

5. A non-Party candidate must receive affirmative preference from at least 60% of all endorsement ballots cast in order to receive the endorsement of the Party. In the event there are more candidates with 60%+ affirmative preference than available endorsements, they will be awarded from highest percentage affirmative preference downward.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »

I oppose Maxwell's request for the Labor endorsement.

I like him personally, but between Yankee and Maxwell, this is like choosing between Jan Brewer and Scott Walker.

Indeed, Yankee has terrible views on immigration, I wo'nt deny that. But as you know, immigration isn't actually an issue. I don't expect the senate to repeal and even to debate a lot about bills speaking about social issues.

However, what I expect is that the next senate risks to try to repeal some economic progress. Indeed, as you can see, the DR, made by  libertarians, is trying to gain some seats: in the Northeast, in the Mideast, and in the Pacific. With a future VP who risks to be a libertarian, if the DR succeeds (and they can succeed, that's obviously a possibility), I'm sure they will try to repeal some economic progress.

Maxwell has definitely terrible economic views. He's one of the  biggest right to work supporter of this forum  and a big fan of Scott Walker. SCOTT WALKER!!!
The Labor Party, is, I believe, extremely pro union, how could we support someone who is so anti union???...
Yankee however, has always tried to make compromises with the Labor senators on economic purposes (like cooperative I think).
That's why I believe Yankee would be much preferable to Maxwell, because he's less distant to us on economic issues, and that I don't see how social issues could be a major debate, maybe for 1 or 2 social issues, but with the DR which is trying to get some senate seats, I expect that economic issues for the next senate will be extremely debated.

Maxwell is a nice guy, I worked with him in the Midwest long time ago, but I definitely consider Yankee is preferable, politically, to him.

That's why I believe, the Labor Party should endorse Yankee.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »

You know, Yankee can be reelected as senator and be defeated as president pro tempore at the same time.

Because the President Pro Tempore is elected by the senators. Why is Yankee still the PPT? Simply because the Labor Party, even if they have 5 seats, doesn't have the tie breaking vote. That's why Yankee has always been able tos tay PPT.

The PPT nomination is completely an another election than the senate elections...

The president pro Tempore isn't de facto the longesr serving senator. It can be every senator.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 09:57:24 AM »

Oh, and I forget.
Economically, the DR is certainly more rightwing than the Federalist Party economically.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2014, 12:00:45 PM »

Well, out-of-party-endorsements are tough and depend a lot on the individual. To me, Maxwell and Motley just aren't good fits for endorsements from us. Game reform is the sticking point with Yankee, though, but I will say that he is one who will not dismiss a proposal out of ideology and works to make things better that he may not even like.

I like DC and Ben - I don't know Ben that well because I think he might have been active a while back and I didn't have the chance to really work with him, but DC is someone I trust and who has shown me that he gets the big picture of what we're doing even if I disagree with him on this or that, and I believe you can work with him.

In all, I really think the Federalist choices here will be more flexible and less demanding than D-R, but that's something that everyone will have to decide alone!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 05:58:22 PM »

I like him personally, but between Yankee and Maxwell, this is like choosing between Jan Brewer and Scott Walker.

Indeed, Yankee has terrible views on immigration, I wo'nt deny that. But as you know, immigration isn't actually an issue. I don't expect the senate to repeal and even to debate a lot about bills speaking about social issues.

I appreciate the support man, but I ask what is so horrible about these bills? Wink
Amendment to the Spurring Skilled Immigration
Spurring Skilled Immigration
A Dream of Veteran Fairness Act
Garden of Dreams Act
Dream Act

Also I actually opposed the AZ Immigration law in real life.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »

I appreciate the support man, but I ask what is so horrible about these bills? Wink
Amendment to the Spurring Skilled Immigration
Spurring Skilled Immigration
A Dream of Veteran Fairness Act
Garden of Dreams Act
Dream Act

Also I actually opposed the AZ Immigration law in real life.

Well, so I'm sorry. I really thought you were anti immigration.
So that's an another reason to support you! Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »

Game reform is the sticking point with Yankee, though, but I will say that he is one who will not dismiss a proposal out of ideology and works to make things better that he may not even like.

I did vote against the recent referenda amendment, because it came down to an issue of adding responsbilities to an office that already has quite a few. I posed a possible compromise that my opponent spoke favorably of as well. I voted against the Fix the Regions amendment, but so did numerous Laborites including Marokai and others and I highly doubt people would call them anti-reform. On the other hand, I did vote for allowing the Pacific and Midwest to merge their regional gov'ts as a termporary solution yes, and endorsed both the Nix and Duke plans for the Legislative branch were a three region consolidation come to pass. And if the Duke's plan's Senate is incorporated and the other details are worked out like which chamber does what, I will also vote for Adam's Bicameralism amendment. I also brought Antonio's four region consolidation plan to the floor in 2012 before it was popular and voted against its tabling, once people decided they didn't care enough to discuss it. Which in turn was a motivting factor behind the GOR committee so things like that could be pre-worked out before the floor since obviously no one had the will to do it on the floor. 

I did oppose Judicial Term Limits because I worried that it would lead to politicization and eventually discriminatory rulings, which bad in any situation, would be dreadful for a game built on participation. Instead, I introduced the People's Court for Tyrion, coordinated the involvement of Justices passed and present to work out the mechanics, and voted with TNF as the only Senators to vote to send it to the Regions and to the people.

There was a also a time when the Senate was a wild and messy place where votes were constnatly canceled for missed amendments, titles were accidentally deleted from bills and we had to pay exhorbitant fees to Bacon Kingman, Attorney at Law to bail us out. Wink I created the amendment tracker so fewer are missed and vote cancellations are way down now. I amended the OSPR to require clarity in amendments and made it so things not included were not removed. Last year responding to a desire for simplifcation and joining with numerous Senators (including my opponent even), we substantially reduced several sections of the OSPR in size yet boosted functionality, cut vote times and now thanks to also having a good VP we have gone from worrying about sixteen week bill waits (Wink) to near instant uptake. I told bore he should be ready for his doctor bill to hit the floor just a week ago it seems and now that bill is basically done. And I haven't seen BK except for the GA megathread.

I may be "discerning" when it comes to reforms, but I am certainly not against them.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 11:39:10 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2014, 11:40:52 PM by Sen. Griffin (LAB-NB) »

[SEN] Endorsement voting on the Mideast and IDS Senate races is now open. Voting will last for 72 hours.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

IDS SENATE:

[  ] Maxwell (Democratic-Republican)
[  ] North Carolina Yankee (Federalist)

MIDEAST SENATE:

[  ] Benconstine (The People's Party)
[  ] DC Al Fine (Federalist)
[  ] MadmanMotley (Democratic-Republican)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »

[SEN]

IDS SENATE:

[X] North Carolina Yankee (Federalist)

MIDEAST SENATE:

[X] Benconstine (The People's Party)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »

[SEN]

IDS SENATE:

[X] Maxwell (Democratic-Republican)
[  ] North Carolina Yankee (Federalist)

MIDEAST SENATE:

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »

IDS SENATE:

[X] North Carolina Yankee (Federalist)

MIDEAST SENATE:

[X] DC Al Fine (Federalist)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies