MW: Stop Nuclear Power Plant Building (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:41:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MW: Stop Nuclear Power Plant Building (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MW: Stop Nuclear Power Plant Building (Failed)  (Read 781 times)
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
« edited: June 09, 2014, 04:36:06 PM by Arturo Belano »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor windjammer
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »

I am opposed to this.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 04:02:20 PM »

To be fair, most Midwestern states don't rely on nuclear power for their energy and just to often power plants have a number of faults with the high cost, their lack of reliability on how well-functioning they are, requires more dependence and without safe storage, it can be an endangerment to people's health. The bill only prohibits the production of new plants in which case that allows us to find more alternative ways for energy through solar panels and wind turbines. I'm not exactly a fan of coal either given it's own hazards to and being unrenewable. This bill not only could save the region money, but it gives us an opportunity to find alternative fuel uses in the future.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »

May I ask why?
I m on my phone, I will give you a long answer tomorrow.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:31:04 PM »

The issue is that Nuclear power is much better than any fossil fuels in pretty much any objective way. And nuclear reactors can be made safe with the necessary precautions and protections. Instead, I recommend that we look at phasing out coal, oil and natural gas instead.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »

Hi, Midwest,

This is a debate we've already had quite extensively down in the South. Here's a significant part of our debate and how we approached this issue.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 11:05:19 AM »

Hi, Midwest,

This is a debate we've already had quite extensively down in the South. Here's a significant part of our debate and how we approached this issue.

Thank you Sjoyce,
I will look at this thread carefully.

Well, so I will try to defend this law.

I'm from France, I'm from Europe, and I believe nuclear energy is much more developed here than in the USA.

The argument "Nuclear power isn't dangerous' is basically one of the biggest lies that the lobbys have ever successfully managed to convince the population.
See Tchernobyl, see Fukushima. Especially Fukushima, Japan isn't a poor country,...

This issue, this is like the Keystone Pipeline, the reports have been hijacked by the anti environmental lobbies. Nuclear power is indeed much more dangerous.

And, I don't think my bill is extreme. I oppose new construction plant, it's not like I'm ending nuclear power in the USA (I would support that, but that's not the goal of my bill), I just want to avoid any expansion of this dangerous energy...
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »

I'm in favor of this Bill. Quite frankly, the nuclear energy we have today is too much of a risk and a burden. Personally I believe that we ought to be encouraging alternate forms of energy and perhaps atomic nuclear fusion (and not fission which is what we use at present). If we're able to unlock the key to controlling nuclear fission we will have limitless possibilities.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »

There are actually some fairly safe designs for Nuclear reactors, such as pebble-bed reactors and, from what I understand, CANDU.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »

There are actually some fairly safe designs for Nuclear reactors, such as pebble-bed reactors and, from what I understand, CANDU.

My main concern following safety is the sheer excess of waste nuclear power creates. It's both hard to dispose of and highly dangerous.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »

Any further comments, or are we ready for a vote?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 06:32:19 PM »

Perhaps, instead of banning Nuclear power plants, we could have higher safety standard/mandate   recycling of nuclear waste? We could also increase research into new applications for nuclear waste.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »

Perhaps, instead of banning Nuclear power plants, we could have higher safety standard/mandate   recycling of nuclear waste? We could also increase research into new applications for nuclear waste.

I sincerely believe this bill doesn't go too far against Nuclear...
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 03:32:32 AM »

The language wouldn't ban power plants created before this would become law, and the problem with disposing of nuclear waste properly is waste takes forever to go away and there's a lack of storage places for it. If we did increase safety standards and funded money towards building holding facilities, the waste can only last in that condition for so long and other ideas like storage pools are too dangerous to try.

On a side note, there's also the problem with nuclear reactors and being able to replace them properly. It would take too much infrastructure and investment in non-coal and non-gas powered nuclear plants to give them a chance. Just like with reactors, uranium won't be reliable forever, either. It might be best if we got a head start and worked on other cost-effective ways to solve this.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 11:35:08 AM »

I think it's past time that we bring this bill to a vote.

I hereby call a 48-hour vote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »

Nay.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »

Aye
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 04:35:52 PM »

With a vote tied between 1 Aye and 1 Nay, it is my duty to break the deadlock by making the deciding vote.

I vote NAY on this bill.

This bill fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies