India 2014 - Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:49:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  India 2014 - Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Author Topic: India 2014 - Results  (Read 22302 times)
covermyeyes
Rookie
India
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2014, 03:07:42 AM »

INC will recover.

BJP has a huge mandate and needless to say, also huge expectations now.

Oh, I don't disagree. The (electoral) danger of an absolute victory is absolute responsibility.

Which we in India might not get. A huge mandate could embolden the BJP to launch itself headfirst on contentious issues like article 370 and Muslim personal law.
covermyeyes
Rookie
India
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2014, 03:10:58 AM »

Have the INC ever done this badly in Assam?

Never, not even in 1977, when the INC was wiped out in most parts of India.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2014, 03:12:57 AM »

Which we in India might not get. A huge mandate could embolden the BJP to launch itself headfirst on contentious issues like article 370 and Muslim personal law.

I meant absolute responsibility in the eyes of the electorate for all errors, mistakes and cock-ups. I don't see this government acting particularly responsibly...
covermyeyes
Rookie
India
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2014, 03:16:15 AM »

I meant absolute responsibility in the eyes of the electorate for all errors, mistakes and cock-ups. I don't see this government acting particularly responsibly...

I would expect lots of infighting in BJP now. Quite a few of their leaders fear that Modi will be their Indira Gandhi. In fact, it started yesterday, with reports that BJP stalwart Sushma Swaraj was politicking to undermine Modi even before the results were announced.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2014, 03:17:29 AM »

I would expect lots of infighting in BJP now. Quite a few of their leaders fear that Modi will be their Indira Gandhi. In fact, it started yesterday, with reports that BJP stalwart Sushma Swaraj was politicking to undermine Modi even before the results were announced.

Where do you get this information? Is stuff like this reported in English-language media?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2014, 03:22:51 AM »

On the subject of Kashmir, it looks like the National Conference got wiped out by the People's Democratic Party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2014, 03:24:26 AM »

Naga Peoples Front now have two seats: they gained Outer Manipur from Congress, it seems.
covermyeyes
Rookie
India
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2014, 03:25:31 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2014, 03:27:22 AM by covermyeyes »

Where do you get this information? Is stuff like this reported in English-language media?

Modi's authoritarian tendencies is well know among BJP leaders. Major detractors include L. K. Advani, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Uma Bharti, and as I've said, Sushma Swaraj. The latter has been at loggerheads with Modi for months now. The press like NDTV has been reporting that BJP is divided among pro-Modi and anti-Modi camps. Their group is said to have hoped for a NDA minority government, so that obviously Modi wont become prime minister, with BJP needing to look for more allies wanting a less polarizing PM. If not for Modi, Advani or even Swaraj would be NDA PM candidate.
covermyeyes
Rookie
India
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2014, 03:33:11 AM »

In Assam, the major beneficiary of the INC disaster will probably be Himanta Biswa Sarma, a state party heavyweight. He will likely to be the next Chief Minister, as Gogoi is toast. It is alleged that he has played a role in undermining Congress candidates throughout the state, including his chief ministerial rivals who were contesting to defend their seats in Lakhimpur and Dibrugarh. Both were probably losing anyway, but Sarma might have exacerbated their difficulties.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2014, 03:35:26 AM »

Sounds like a right charmer: he'll go far.
covermyeyes
Rookie
India
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2014, 03:38:10 AM »

Sounds like a right charmer: he'll go far.

People see him as the INC version of Modi in Assam. Seems he has already taken a leaf out of Modi's book.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2014, 03:50:26 AM »

Putting together a provisional winners map now. Very orange.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2014, 04:00:59 AM »

The woman who's beating Rahul Gandhi in Amethi, Smriti Irani, is not your typical BJP politician in a lot of ways: besides being a woman (and prominent actress), she's a convert from Hinduism to Zoroastrianism. How many religious minorities are there in the BJP caucus?

But from the BJP point of view, Zoroastrians (as well as Sikhs, Jains and Buddhists) wouldn't really be considered minority religions.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2014, 04:08:09 AM »

The woman who's beating Rahul Gandhi in Amethi, Smriti Irani, is not your typical BJP politician in a lot of ways: besides being a woman (and prominent actress), she's a convert from Hinduism to Zoroastrianism. How many religious minorities are there in the BJP caucus?

I'm surprised than Zoroastrianism still exists. I thought it disappeared during Antiquity.

Nah, the Muslims weren't able to totally eliminate it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2014, 04:54:10 AM »

Provisional results map. Sorry about the lack of party keys: I'll sort that out properly again at some point... honest. Some results will still change and flip about, no doubt. But anyway.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2014, 06:09:02 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2014, 09:20:03 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

Provisional results map. Sorry about the lack of party keys: I'll sort that out properly again at some point... honest. Some results will still change and flip about, no doubt. But anyway.

That's one of the most depressing things I've seen in a long time.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2014, 06:15:49 AM »

With 77% of the vote counted, it is NDA 333 UPA 59 with BJP at 279 and INC at 45.

From a vote share point of view so far it is

NDA  39.2%
BJP   33.2%

UPA  23.6%
INC   20.6%

While this is the worst showing for UPA in its history, lets remember that NDA got 24.3% in 2009 and managed to bounce back.  Also 39.2% is high but no higher than what NDA got in 1999 when they go 40.9%. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2014, 06:23:35 AM »

Indeed. The sea of orange is mostly 'just' FPTP doing what it often does elsewhere (and often did in India in the past).
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2014, 06:31:29 AM »

NDTV has a different vote share count.  It has NDA at 40.7%, about same as 1999 for NDA.  It has UPA at 26.2% somewhat higher than NDA in 2009.  From a vote share point of view the worst year for UPA was 1996 when it got 29.8%.  This is about 3.6% worse.  The NDA-UPA gap explains the victory of NDA in terms of seats.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2014, 06:48:36 AM »

So the prediction winner are the Indian bookies.  They predicted 340 and that is pretty much what took place.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2014, 06:53:32 AM »

Kudos to CNN-IBN.  Their exit polls pretty much got the vote share correct.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2014, 06:56:09 AM »

Looking at CNN-IBN vote share count we have NDA at 39.75% at UPA at 26.04% which leads to 334 vs 62 in terms of seats.  It is interesting because back in 2009 it was UPA 36.78% vs NDA at 24.29% and the seats victory was 262 vs 159.  So a similar vote share victory leads to very much different seat results.  This is not just FPTP.  It is more about NDA votes are more concentrated in the right places.  Sort of like Labor Party in UK relative to Tories.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2014, 07:09:24 AM »

Awful result. I wonder, how may lives will it cost.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2014, 07:59:04 AM »

Ouch
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2014, 08:24:51 AM »

Well, the people showed up en force and voted. They made their choice. They are responsible for it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies